The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update to my search of a kid to show my pony - Show day!

Well, the show was this past Sunday and it went great! My friend has a barn with a lot of kids that don't own ponies, so she hooked me up with the sweetest girl! She says thank you a LOT, which I am big on. I don't want to be dealing with a ungrateful child (I got the pony to the show, paid for classes, and she rode with our barn that day).
    She won her equitation class out of 6 riders, won pleasure out of 4, and was the only one in trail, but didn't go off course so she got a blue ribbon there as well. She also ended up with high point of the day in the 10 and under walk/trot division. So it went well! Her parents were also great, very thankful and nice nice people. So it's all worked out well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...a/IMG_2554.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...a/IMG_3026.jpg

My one rant (nothing to do with the kiddo!) is that I've been advertising the heck out of this mare and can't find a kid to half lease/show. All the kids at the show know the pony (everyone always asks "oh is that Pineapple Express?"), and the announcers keep mistaking other Haflingers for her since everyone knows her. So the other kids love/hate her - love her cause she's awesome, and hate her cause she always beats them LOL - no joke I had 2 girls say this to us Sunday. I totally didn't mind doing this for this girl and she'll be showing at 2 shows later this year at the same arena, but I'd love to find a kid to half lease and ride a few times a week since I won't be able to ride again til late summer. OK, end rant!

AH!!!!!!! I expected pony to be cute, but you need to put a warning on those pics.

She is adorable!!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Yes. This is overwhelmingly cute. And I love the smile on the girl's face.

This it be right.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Oh my stinking goodness, that is a cute pair! Adorable pony.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Cutest pony in the world. The end.

I could make a career out of planting my lips on her perfect pink snip. Good golly, she has a face that launched a thousand ships.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

VERY cute team!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My mom just bought your pony's long-lost twin brother! He looks exactly like her, right down to the snip.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedCash View Post

My one rant (nothing to do with the kiddo!) is that I've been advertising the heck out of this mare and can't find a kid to half lease/show. All the kids at the show know the pony (everyone always asks "oh is that Pineapple Express?"), and the announcers keep mistaking other Haflingers for her since everyone knows her. So the other kids love/hate her - love her cause she's awesome, and hate her cause she always beats them LOL - no joke I had 2 girls say this to us Sunday. I totally didn't mind doing this for this girl and she'll be showing at 2 shows later this year at the same arena, but I'd love to find a kid to half lease and ride a few times a week since I won't be able to ride again til late summer. OK, end rant!
    You do realize that children do not often work enough hours/week at a well paying job to afford lease your pony, right? Perhaps you need to start networking with parents. You know, the people with the jobs who have the $$....

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    You do realize that children do not often work enough hours/week at a well paying job to afford lease your pony, right? Perhaps you need to start networking with parents. You know, the people with the jobs who have the $$....
    Umm, do you really think I'm going up to 9 year old kids saying "hey lease my pony!"? I have talked to trainers, parents, advertised in magazines and websites, plastered ads at tack stores and show grounds, schmoozed at shows, etc. Never once have I approached a child directly. That would be just plain creepy LOL. I was just commenting that all the kids, trainers (so much that some will warn their clients that if this pony shows up, they better ride their butts off for a chance to win), and show organizers know my pony, and it's just frustrating that I can't find a PARENT of a show kid to lease. Cause even though the parent is payng the fee, it's the child who is riding/showing. Sorry for not being clearer.

To everyone else - thanks so much! The litle girl was the CUTEST, and helped a lot. They called yesterday to thank me again. She will be showing again later in the year so hopefully it all goes as well
    Last edited by PaintedCash; May. 23, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedCash View Post
    Umm, do you really think I'm going up to 9 year old kids saying "hey lease my pony!"? I have talked to trainers, parents, advertised in magazines and websites, plastered ads at tack stores and show grounds, schmoozed at shows, etc. Never once have I approached a child directly. That would be just plain creey. I was just commenting that all the kids, trainers (so much that some will warn their clients that if this pony shows up, they better ride their butts off for a chance to win), and show organizers know my pony, and it's just frustrating that I can't find PARENT of a show kid to lease. Cause even though the parent is payng the fee, it's the child who is riding/showing. Sorry for not being clearer.

To everyone else - thanks so much! The litle girl was the CUTEST, and helped a lot. They called yesterday to thank me again. She will be showing again later in the year so hopefully it all goes as well
    YOU were perfectly clear in voicing your frustration.

That pony is adorable and the rider's smile says it all. Best of luck with finding a parent and kid! Whoever gets that pony will be one more lucky child.
    Alis volat propriis.

Depending on the show (smaller, local) bring the announcer a nice glass of iced tea and ask him if he will mention (when he announces the pony as winner) that she/he is available for lease. I have known some that will mention when a horse is for sale.

CFFarm - that is actually a really great idea. Next show I will ask nicely and see if we can do that Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    No, it is the grandparents... we turned down several very sizable offers for our child's horse that was proven to be able to either win or place second at any show in the nation

Do the shows no longer do sales/lease announcements?

Eons ago when filling in your class lists you could write across the top: For Sale and the announcer would mention that.
    Usually a huge plus unless that horse decided to make a fool of you right after the announcement, LOL!

Do people still do white ribbons in the tail for sales horses?
    Red tail ribbon = kicker
    Green tail ribbon = greenie...could do anything unexpected, LOL
    White Tail Ribbon = for sale/lease
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Adorable pony AND kiddo! Good luck finding a more permanent lease situation!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Do the shows no longer do sales/lease announcements?

Eons ago when filling in your class lists you could write across the top: For Sale and the announcer would mention that.
    Usually a huge plus unless that horse decided to make a fool of you right after the announcement, LOL!

Do people still do white ribbons in the tail for sales horses?
    Red tail ribbon = kicker
    Green tail ribbon = greenie...could do anything unexpected, LOL
    White Tail Ribbon = for sale/lease
    I've heard of the red and green ribbons (~10 years ago, so not quite eons lol!) but not the white designating for sale...good addition though if it is commonly known.

There used to be ads in the show class lists/booklets given out when advertising for our local shows, maybe place one of these?

ADORABLE PONY....Palomino (dark palomino? liver chestnut?) Haflinger, if I'd been given this pony as a kid I would've thought i'd died and gone to heaven!

PS....glad to hear there are still some polite, appreciative kids out there! The kids I au pair for are generally well behaved, but one thing that's been an ongoing battle is getting them to say please and thank you. Luckily their parents completely back me up on this.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    AH!!!!!!! I expected pony to be cute, but you need to put a warning on those pics.

She is adorable!!!!
    Agreed. I had no idea it was even possible to be that cute!

Absolutely epicly adorable!!! oh my goodness!