The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nibble Nets

Has anyone tried these?

I have a horse that is on a diet and he needs to eat slowly. Do the horses eat slower? And are the nets safe (worried about hooves getting caught in the wrong places etc).

Thanks!

Default Yep

There are several other threads on this if you search, but I have one and I love it! No mess, no waste, and it's held up great! They are expensive but I think they are worth the cost.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I just ordered 3 nibble net hay pillows for my horse and her pal...a chubby pony. I actually just started a thread wondering how I can weight them down so they don't blow away when empty. I've heard great things about them. Yes very pricey though.

Yes, do a search.....

I found them hard to fill. I much prefer my freedom feeder large size net (hung on fence/pipe panel) or the small hole hay nets they sell.

Thanks. Will do a search for old threads.

I have a nibble net for my mare; we don't use it normally but I will take it with us this weekend to "sleepaway camp" because it's the first time she's done this since surgery in March 2010, and she's always happier when she has hay in front of her... and without something to slow her down, she can hoover up a good sized flake in 15 minutes.

Nibble Nets are expensive but quite durable. Note: *some* horses may find them spooky at first (or maybe the mare is just special...)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Love them. Each stall has one and I have found them to be very durable.

I have several of the largest ones and have been pleased.

I hang them from loops of bailing twine threaded through the stall grill. I use 2 straps hung from the bailing twine. When I fill the nets I have all 4 snaps connected to the 4 rings on the back so the net is held open. Then I snap front rings with the back rings.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I only have one, but I like it A LOT. If I used hay bags/nets more often I'd probably get another one. I use it in the trailer and in the stall. It is far better and easier to use than a regular hay net.

I have one Nibble Net but the gelding managed to tear it from its straps early on. I have 2 Cinch Chix bale size ones that I love. It takes a few minutes to load one, but then you are all set for several (3 to 6 depending on the horse) meals.

I love my Nibblenets! They have held up really well (have used them daily for about a year now). Easy to clean and handle alot of enthusiastic tugging from the horses. Pricey, but hold up much better than anything else I've tried.

No safety issues that I've experience.

Thank you for all of the great information. I ordered 2 last night. A bit expensive, but if they last then I don't mind.

I crochet my own slow feeder nets using poly hay twine. This one has 2 inch sq openings and will hold 2-3 flakes of hay. There is a drawstring to close the top of the bag (see top of photo). I sometimes attach another string at the bottom of the bag so when it is tied to the fence with the drawstring, I can secure it at the bottom, too. My mare likes to flip it over the fence, otherwise.
    http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...rio/haynet.jpg

Oh my - that is one beautiful net, how clever.

I have one but it was super expensive, and really not worth the price. Then I found an ebayer selling fishing nets that are just as durable and I paid $15 (including shipping) for a net that made two small hay bags and one large bale bag:

http://youtu.be/j7iR0AF4TtM

Ebayer I got it from: http://myworld.ebay.com/thenetshedlo...84.m1439.l2754

The net I bought for under $4; the shipping was over $10, but so worth it!

I use the nets more than I do the Nibblenet ... the nibblenet has been great and durable. But the expense was not worth it.

I like them a lot, IME much easier to fill than any mesh nets and so far (3 years of steady use, including yearlings) I have one torn strap that needs fixing.
    Click here before you buy.

If you want to go the "cheap" way, Dover sells small mesh hay bags for $10 or $15. I use them and they do slow down the pace of eating quite a bit. It is a bit of a pain to load the hay into the nets, of course, and you have to be careful to hang them high enough so no risk of a shoe getting caught in them (but at least the mesh is small enough no one can get a foot through it).

Default Nibble Net

I have 2 ponies currently eating out of a Nibble Net and unfortunatly they have mastered the technique to empty the smallest opening Nibble Net that they make! One pony is a small and one is a large. The have the most amazing ability to still breeze through their feed in under 1/2 an hour. We called Nibble Net and they recommended going to the free hanging barrel shapped net that he cannot pin against the wall to pull the hay out. No slower...We then followed their suggestion to wet the hay down prior to feeding. No slower... As a side note for the large pony we did a double bag the 1.25 inch version, free hanging. and guess what...No slower....Is he a freak of nature that he can do this? I really need to slow him down as he has had ulcers and has had one prior colic surgery. Unfortunatly I cannot be there to feed him many small meals throughout the day. We feed breakfast and dinner. We feed top quality Timothy and Orchard. Nibble Net suggested moving to Bermuda hay, but that is not really an option as post surgery they said no Bermuda. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    If you want to go the "cheap" way, Dover sells small mesh hay bags for $10 or $15. I use them and they do slow down the pace of eating quite a bit. It is a bit of a pain to load the hay into the nets, of course, and you have to be careful to hang them high enough so no risk of a shoe getting caught in them (but at least the mesh is small enough no one can get a foot through it).
    I paid more like $8 for the Shire's ones from Cheshire Horse. Once they've been used a few times, I don't find them too hard to fill. Bought one for every horse for under $70.

Default Nibble Net

I have tried all sizes of the mesh as well. I have more hay nets than I can ever use for my lifetime! We started with the 2" Nibble Net, then the 1.5" Nibble Net, then the 1.25" Nibble Net, then the free hanging oval Nibble Net, then we went to Dover and Smart Pak and covered pretty much all that they have. Like I said the large pony is in a double 1.25" Nibble Net and the small is in the oval Nibble Net with the smallest Dover net covering that. Both hang free so there is nothing to pin them against. The large pony has an AMAZING prehensil lip! Its like a battle we are waging to slow him down! He then looks at us with a gloating look!