Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pregnant

Any tips? We were not trying, but it happened and we're thrilled! Getting pregnant wasn't supposed to be easy for me (had some health issues in that department in the last few years) but we are and it's great.

PMs appreciated!
    Last edited by WIExpat; Jun. 24, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
    recovering hunter rider turned eventer

Just tell her you need to put off the purchase of a horse for a year or so. She'll understand. I wouldn't worry about whether she thinks you intended to get pregnant or not.

say "I'm with foal" at least that's how a student broke the news to me years ago. She rode til she was about 5 months along.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Unless your trainer is the father in which case some decorum may be necessary, I don't see how anything other than "plans have changed" is necessary.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey Jane, I just found out I'm pregnant, as you know I didn't think it was possible so we're just thrilled to bits! I'm sorry to say that we're going to have to put off purchasing a new horse for ______amount of time. I'm going to talk to my Ob/Gyn and my SO and we will decide if riding is right for me and then I will let you know if I will continue to lease/lesson during the pregnancy.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Well.....as long as it's not the trainer who got you pregnant, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your right. - Henry Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Denial is delightful.

Babies happen when they happen. Sometimes even despite taking every precaution to prevent them. I should know, I'm that tiny percent they warn you about! Go ahead and tell her, that way you two can discuss putting off hunting for and purchasing, or even going ahead and finding the right horse, working it until you're no longer comfortable riding (I was still in the saddle until about 5 months with my second, 6months with my first, nothing strenuous and on a horse I knew well and was 99.9% confident was safe enough) and having your trainer or another keep horse in work until you're ready to go back to riding.

If trainer is anything but happy for you, I'd say it's time for a new trainer. But that's just me.

Oh, and Congrats!!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Just tell her, lol. Let her know that you hadn't planned the timing, but life happens. I think most people will be thrilled and excited for you. If she gives you crap...I agree, it's time to find a new trainer.

Thanks everyone. My trainer definitely isn't the father, and I'm sure she'll be really happy for us. And you're right, just explaining what happened and that we'll have to put off purchasing a new 'baby,' should be sufficient.

My OB said I was fine to ride at least til trimester 2 starts, or until I'm not comfortable anymore. Glad I can keep horses in my life for awhile longer before we're ready to pony shop too

Thanks!

OH OH OH, there was a neat CL pony posted here the other day.

Here it is: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=353829
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added pony link

I love that pony! Too cute.

Huge congratulations!

Just be honest with your trainer and tell her what you told us. She'll be happy for you and will understand why your buying plans have changed or been put on hold. If she's not, that might tell you something about her.

What an exciting time for you! Enjoy!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Congratulations! I don't think the situation with the trainer is a big deal at all, all you need to say is "plans have changed" and I don't think you are under any obligation to discuss the pregnancy immediately if you don't wish to. I don't think you need to discuss the planning or timing of it either, unless you want to.

Congrats and that is what your trainer should say to you. Getting pregnant is wonderful and if your trainer doesn't understand that welllllll .... enough written.

Best wishes.

Am I missing something here?

A simple, "I'm preggers, can't risk the baby, can't buy a horse right now since the little critter will be taking up chunks of time and he/she needs all sorts of tack I don't have."

If she makes any noise, just start talking about "mucus plug"! Ick!! that'd send me running for the hills.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

She makes her living buying and selling horses, I doubt it's the first time someone has changed their mind about when/what they will buy.

You are extrordinarily polite!

I am not sure why this is something that requires a tutorial to deal with.

Walk up to trainer and tell them that you are pregnant. I think Grataan gave a great example of how to cover it.

If you trainer can not handle something as simple as a client getting pregnant then let this be your red flag to find a new trainer.

Honestly, I don't think it's his/her business at all. Just a simple "life circumstances have changed in a big way, and I will need to put off buying a horse at this point" should suffice. If you want to give a more detailed explanation, that is YOUR CHOICE and you should only tell him/her if you want to.

PS - Congratulations!!!

If she's not a nice trainer, the loss of a) leased horse, b) riding lesson fees and c) fat commission check on bought horse could indeed make her snippy.

In the crazy horse world, anything can happen.

However, if she does act this way, time to find a new trainer, I agree!

Congratulations, OP, your life will be changed forever! I rode until I was about 7 months along. But after having a child, I really didn't want to ride the crazy horses anymore, someone else is depending on you! But that's not everyone's choice, of course.

Well... you could soften the blow by saying that while you can't buy a horse at the moment now, you may be looking to purchase a horse AND a pony in a year or two!

(Kidding about the "soften a blow" dramatization. I'm sure she'll understand, and if she's not happy for your or understanding within moments of being told... pooey on her)