The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Took an "extra" horse on the trail today...

Funny story from my ride today and had to share...

I took my arab out for a walk through the field (think 20 acre field) and down a little trail back to the barn today. We were almost to the other end of the field when she scooted sideways, which she never does. I looked back, and one of the other horses from the barn decided he wanted to go too and had been following us like a trail pony. I have no idea how long he had been there, but he seemed to be enjoying himself quite a bit to be out. He didn't have a halter on and I didn't have anything extra to catch him with, so we just turned around in the field and rode back to the barn with him following along. There are no roads for a few miles in any direction, and I figured he knew where he lived so no sense in getting off to catch him when I had nothing to catch him with.

Gotta love the smart ponies Or should I say devious ones....
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

How cute.
    Could that be called "free ponying".....
    Last edited by HPFarmette; May. 22, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

I look behind every so often !!

Ha, I've done that a few times, but on purpose. xD. Its how I exercised my current pony before she was broke, I rode out on a friends pony and had my mare tag on behind!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was just talking to someone about this, many eons ago I used to ride a very lovely palomino mare on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, specifically outside of Grasonville. Routinely I would try and take her pony pal with her because pony once got caught in a fence trying to come. In those days people would not wig out, there was next to no traffic, I only rode in the corn fields after the corn was harvested, or do the trails along the bay inlets that led into the woods. It was a blast and I wish I could do it now because I have a large pony who thinks she is a dog anyway. She would follow me on a walk with the dogs if I let her. Not safe where I am now sadly.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

being herd animals they like to stay with others of their kind. I have led several horses at times just by leading one, it helps if the one being led is the heard leader.

I used to do this years ago when I had a safe place to do it.

A friend of mine excercises all of her horses this way but they are in a very remote area. Makes you wonder if this horse had wanted to go out on the trail for a while - you can only imagine what goes through their heads.