The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I can assure you that many modern, thinking, educated women choose to stay home and raise their children. Feminism gave us choice. We can choose to follow careers, choose to stay at home, choose to be mothers, choose to be childless, etc. So she is very much a modern woman.

Paula
    With no doubt far more paid help than the typical modern woman.

Hardly 'bigotry' at play here, which is a bad word choice. I was a stay at home mom for 8 years when my kids were little. And I served in my community including school board president, den mother, LWV VP, Co-op nursery school board and more. Then I went back to work for a variety of reasons, which included breadwinner for my crew. Life experience is what makes people interesting.

Yes, you certainly were active and diversified in your life and work. And you're obviously no AR. Does AR have a community? Or does she just follow MR? That is my point.

I'd rather someone like you were running for president and/or first lady.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    Stay at home mom here.
    I have a degree in biochemistry and left a 6 figure salary behind in 1989 to become a mom.

Here is what I did as a stay at home mom;
    room mom for every class my kids were in (carried the load for all the kids whose mothers were "too busy" to help because they had a job), organized and managed a first responder team for a volunteer fire department, obtained certification in ABA and RDA (autism therapies), ran 3 successful political campaigns, fundraising for therapeutic riding center, published a regional horse magazine for 4 years, organized and managed triple rated dressage shows for 5 years, editor of a monthly newsletter, on the board of sports league for the developmentally disabled, founded at high school for students with high functioning autism and currently pursuing a graduate degree in math.
    I ride dressage and breed horses in my "spare time", lol.
    I have several friends who are also stay at home moms and they make me look like a slacker. There are many women like Ann Romney in this regard and we all vote.

Bigotry like shall's only helps Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    With no doubt far more paid help than the typical modern woman.
    This. I too was a SAHM to 3, also caring for a disabled mom. Except maybe for the disabled mom it was my choice and by no means was it easy. I suspect AR had a bit more help and the flexibility that help gave her. Does anyone know if she had a live in nanny?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

You all talk like you know the woman. How many years have you been friends with Ann Romney?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

The same could be said to you. ? What gives?

You run for office, then you will be examined. AR has put some time in faith based initiatives, but did not return/start work once her kids matured. Her biography is thin at this point.

Time magazine just did an article on Lenore Romney, and there's a person more to my liking - an independent thinker and active in her approach to life.

This is a forum where people express their points of view and that is why I come here.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    You all talk like you know the woman. How many years have you been friends with Ann Romney?

Paula

Wait... Why are you NOT an independent thinker because you chose not to return to work when you did not have to?

How can you support your view of her "thin" biography to equal that she is not independent? Because of religious beliefs?

What kind of independent mind thinks like this about others without any cause?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Default ann

Why would anyone penalize Ann for having means? She has invested and has competed like the rest of us. A dressage trainer I work for said she was stabled next to Ann at a show in Mass..and she was mucking her own stalls, like some of us do.
    As for the high dollar dressage people..there is a lot of means/money here at Global (WEF) or other places with the same upper level competition.....why would anyone judge her? She invests, puts up her money, and goes into the ring. I personally think she is quite good for the sport....as are the likes of Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, Bruce Springstein, Mayor Bloomberg, among others.....who have daughters showing and have certainly paid to do so, among famous/wealthy people who have horses and compete.

Your double negative leads to an inconclusive statement. I am an independent and returned to work in order to support my kids, not the contortion you just wrote.

A thin biography = no passion for causes beyond her own family's well being. That is a fact and I'm waiting to see more. Will she be just there standing beside MR with coif and gown? Yuck. She has an opportunity to do more, have an impact, and should.

I worked for Bain and Company. I may know less or more than some.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Wait... Why are you NOT an independent thinker because you chose not to return to work when you did not have to?

How can you support your view of her "thin" biography to equal that she is not independent? Because of religious beliefs?

What kind of independent mind thinks like this about others without any cause?
    Last edited by shall; May. 27, 2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shall View Post
    Your double negative leads to an inconclusive statement. I am an independent and returned to work in order to support my kids, not the contortion you just wrote.

A thin biography = no passion for causes beyond her own family's well being. That is a fact and I'm waiting to see more. Will she be just there standing beside MR with coif and gown? Yuck. She has an opportunity to do more, have an impact, and should.

I worked for Bain and Company. I may know less or more than some.
    You frown on supporting your husband and family? You see this as something only a less "independent" thinking person does?

Have an impact? Pretty speeches, and serving soup at the kitchen does not a good person make.

I would rather see a woman put her family first because that shows who a person REALLY is. Sacrifice for the people you love and care about is NOTHING less than working to support them with cash.

I don't have an opinion as of yet one way or the other, as I don't really know much about her... But an independent thinker (your words) would reserve judgement until the proof was there never the less.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/