The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What the Hoi Polloi think of dressage and Ann Romney

See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

What a ridiculous article....the adjective "fussy" being used in conjunction with this discipline shows how incredibly naive and deliberately obtuse this reporter was. At least educate yourself a tiny bit so you don't make a complete twit of yourself writing such drivel.

Sigh...I know it's par for the course in the political attack climate but good grief, leave her hobby and method of dealing with her devastating and debilitating disease OUT of the political discourse. It has nothing to do with her husband, his policies or plans for the country. It's all about attacking wealthy people which passes for "journalism".

As a former major market news anchor and long time network news producer, I am ashamed at the lows my once respectable profession has sunk to. We were once proud to say we were there to expose the truth. Nothing more, nothing less. No matter which side pressured us, I was taught by some chain smoking newspaper guys that you remained "disinterested" because your opinion had no place in the story. My, how times have changed. And not for the better...

(OK, stepping down off the soapbox and backing slowly away now..)

Default not horse related

It's a poorly written and researched article, relying mainly on the reporting of others.

But commenting on the journalistic quality is not horse-related, and a similar thread a few weeks ago led to nothing but political sniping.

P.S. Dressage is fussy.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

While I agree that the article is poorly written and likely has a political agenda, referring to those who don't know much about dressage or the horse industry in general as "Hoi Polloi" can only contribute to the elitist image .

I commented.

At least right after you insulted us as participating in a "fussy" sport also known as horse ballet, you acknowledge, "Because it requires tremendous muscle control, dressage also provided Romney unexpected therapeutic benefits." For the record there are alot of us solidly middle-class dressage riders pursuing this simultaneously fussy-but-demanding-tremendous-muscle-control "horse ballet". Frankly there are more of us than there are of the Romney money class. And by the way, we are ever grateful for the moneyed few who support all the adult ammies out there.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

How different from the days of Jacqueline Kennedy when her horse hobby on increased her glamour and appeal. They should leave Anne Romney alone, but as such things go, The article wasn't too obnoxious, just sort of. So the Romneys have megabucks...I THINK WE ALL KNOW THAT BY NOW!

Great reply, Paula!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I am a staunch Obama supporter. That being said, this article is ridiculous. I don't think the author did a lick of research about dressage. I am pleased to know, however, that my $300 dressage horse and my foray into dressage schooling shows establishes me firmly as a member of the elite.

Eh, and the comments to the article are insane.

The comments disturb me far more than the article does.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Really not seeing what is SO objectionable about this piece. I think that most people understand that different activities can be pursued at different levels, and that competing at the top in any sport is expensive. I don't have to be a gymnast to know that training with Bela Karolyi and traveling to international competitions is going to be a little more expensive than your average nine-year-old who takes lessons at the local gym once or twice a week.

The article is about ANN ROMNEY'S participation in dressage, and at her level of competition, it does cost a [poop]load of money, does it not?

Maybe so...however, her family income was earned, and good for them! If she can afford to compete at that level, afford her nice $$ horses, then good! I don't see the problem with it...it's their money, and the plus side, is the health benefit she receives from riding.

I'm really sick and tired of the media and others for making those who have means that earned them into demons. It's AMERICA, and it used to be the American dream to strive for a better life. I'm quite happy for the Romneys. Glad that Ann Romney has found a way to work through her MS, and supports the Dressage community.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Hey we need owners to support riders and our Olympic hopefuls in equestrian sports. I admire anyone who earns a gold metal with MS. Shes also given millions to various charities. Who wouldnt spend more on horses if they could?
    Gallop on

Exactly. I resent this kind of "journalism". It's hasty, poorly researched, and highly biased.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Default supporters

If AR was an opera devotee or supported the ballet, or classical music, would anyone make such a fuss? I compiled some video news clips on AR and her horse interests last week...

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2012...-in-press.html

I am not politically inclined but the "journalists" are behaving like children. Honestly. I know fourteen year olds that could have treated this subject with intelligence and thought.

I for one am delighted that there are people in the world who use their wealth to support beauty and the pursuit of something beautiful -- of course it creates jobs and lines the pockets of many others involved in dressage too.

My overall reaction to press coverage of dressage is to be sad.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

Default therapeutic benefits

As well as other pointst made about this article, I do not think the therapeutic benefits were 'unexpected'.

Many riders start or continue with dressage for physical benefits that are the more achievable because of the enjoyment of the partnership with the horse.
    Forward...go forward

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I commented.

And by the way, we are ever grateful for the moneyed few who support all the adult ammies out there.

Paula
    Really? Who are these people to whom you are referring? I can't think of any moneyed few who are helping me or any of my friends or acquaintances. In fact, I think you have it backwards. I think it's the adult ammies, filling the ranks at the non-FEI levels that are supporting the moneyed few. Shows could not exist otherwise.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    I'm really sick and tired of the media and others for making those who have means that earned them into demons. It's AMERICA, and it used to be the American dream to strive for a better life. I'm quite happy for the Romneys. Glad that Ann Romney has found a way to work through her MS, and supports the Dressage community.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of this earned money was earned at terrible expense to others and the environment. Yes, there is nothing wrong with striving for a better life--I do--but not if it's going to hurt others.

Also, the very wealthy make contributions because they NEED to. They have so much money that it will just go to the tax man otherwise. Sadly, most are not nearly as philanthropic as we'd like to think. They bask in the attention they get from giving $10M to a college or medical center that will have their name on it. Although this is a tremendous amount of money to the majority of us, it's chump change to those who are worth anywhere from $500M on up. Sorry to sound so jaded, but I work in an environment where we are dealing with top tier donors on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    The comments disturb me far more than the article does.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    It's hasty, poorly researched, and highly biased.
    Her research was she googled "Ann Romney horses." The only thing noteworthy to me was that AR and the Ebelings company (which does business in CA where all of them live) is registered in Delaware. Research that, why don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Really? Who are these people to whom you are referring? I can't think of any moneyed few who are helping me or any of my friends or acquaintances. In fact, I think you have it backwards. I think it's the adult ammies, filling the ranks at the non-FEI levels that are supporting the moneyed few. Shows could not exist otherwise.
    That is true.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Her research was she googled "Ann Romney horses." The only thing noteworthy to me was that AR and the Ebelings company (which does business in CA where all of them live) is registered in Delaware. Research that, why don't they?
    Because that's completely normal???
    Delaware has very corporate-friendly laws.

A very great many organizations incorporate in Delaware even though they do all of their business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Because that's completely normal???
    Delaware has very corporate-friendly laws.

A very great many organizations incorporate in Delaware even though they do all of their business elsewhere.
    That's true, Meup, but it IS noteworthy.