The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saving some money and embarrassing a horse at the same time...

So, one of my Arab training mares is pretty thin skinned as it turns out and I have no girth that doesn't rub her. So I dug through the gear at the ranch to find a very crusty girth cover. YUCK

I informed the boss I would run to Walmart for some fleece and whip one up tonight. And I did....

But seeing as how I will save a buck where ever I can I of course scavenged the remnants....

Big Red Mare aptly named Rosebud will be riding in a Winnie the Pooh girth cover tomorrow! hehehe

Boss man's reaction is gonna be great!

Anyone else save a buck at the price of their ponies dignity?? LOL
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

No, but I sacrifice my own dignity every time I ride! I still ride in my western Justin ropers with half-chaps.

Please, PLEASE post pics of the girth cover!!

I will take a picture of her sporting it tomorrow! hehehe! As for the ropers and half chaps, I won't tell....I do it too!

Winnie the Pooh is, as we know, a silly old bear, but a sweetie, so I'll bet Rosie gets good vibes from the girth cover!

Oh, I can't wait for pics!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have used a standing wrap as a girth cover before. This was also an Arab and he kept getting rub marks at the buckles of the girth so I just put standing wraps on each side. It really does work pretty well when you have nothing else on hand. I ordered a new girth for him but the standing wraps did the job until the new one came in.

I've sewn many a girth cover before. I think the fleece was given to me, and I dared not waste it! LOL

Well, I couldn't get a good picture of it on her, but here it is....http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...31281207_o.jpg

My boss just shook his head....

POOH! How cute! I never thought of using prints. Mine are either solid white or solid green...BORING

I just grabbed what was on sale

I have known "someone" who used a dog collar as a running martingale attachement.(no they weren't showing or "in public")!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Reaaaalllly....and here I've only used them to attach my girth and rear cinch. Running martingale, clever!

It's adorable, plus it has Tigger!

Oh where to begin!!

Nylon rope. Tied old clips to the ends and made some bright green draw reins.
    Shoelace to fix a broken curb rein....tied it back together since the metal hook broke off.
    Same nylon rope has been used to attach my spurs.
    Stud chain + a polo wrap bag = saddle bag/waterbottle holder
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I love it! Some ideas I never thought of!

Too cute! I'm sure your horse will forgive you for the print when he feels the comfort!

Years ago, my BFFand I were training for a NATRC ride (competitive trail). We both really wanted some nice coolers for after the ride, but were poor at the time. I went to Big Lots, bought each of us a cotton open weave blanket. Next I bought satin edging, sewed it onto the edges and made chest and tail ties. Voila! Cheapest coolers ever, just wish I had gotten pictures!
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

Nice! I'm going to need to remember that one.
    Oh, and the cover worked perfect! Finally fixed the rubbing problem

A small dog/cat collar makes a fabulous girth loop in a pinch. Not that I'd know anything about that... *innocently looks around*
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I love it!!

I made a sliding martingale out of royal blue rope and O rings from the hardware store. Cheap, easy, and worked like a charm!!

Although I think the biggest embarrassment I've caused my horse is our trailer. When we were pricing the move from IL to SoCal, a U-Haul was going to be outrageous. We needed a horse trailer anyway...so we start browsing craigslist. 1979 WW stock trailer. Built like a tank, and just as ugly. The floor is only a few years old, and there are definitely some rust spots, but it is SERIOUSLY solid and pulls like a dream. However, the people we bought it from decided it was a GREAT idea to spray paint it brown. Yep. Best part is, we paid $1000 for it, and after sprucing it up a bit we can probably sell it for $2000.

The looks we get when we go places...I live in the Land of the Perfect White Trailer. Everywhere you look, 2H slant loads, white! Our brown trailer sticks out SO bad, and I admit I hate it, but only because its short. I have talked DH into getting it painted white.

Old Dogfood container (one of those plastic things that you pour your dogfood/catfood/chicken feed/etc into) makes a GREAT holder for polos, standing wraps, etc. Darn things are always rolling away!

If it can't be fixed with duct tape (love the black kind!), baling twine, and vet wrap, then I'm doing it wrong!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!