The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do we dare to hope for a Triple Crown winner in 2012?

A rising tide lifts all boats. A Triple Crown winner would have repercussions throughout the horse world -- oh I so hope this horse, this jockey, this owner and the trainer figure out how to make it happen at the Belmont! I thought the Preakness was pretty easy for him and just hope that we might get A TCW in 2012. Our sport(s) need this!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I hope we get one! Its been too long since Affirmed. But they will be after, I'll have Another in the Belmont. Its going to be one heck of a tough race.

A fresh Dullahan (spelling*) is IMO the biggest hurdle in the road for IHA. I do hope he gets it done, especially after seeing how little respect he got going in to the Preakness. I am falling in love with this little horse.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I (almost) always root for a triple crown but don't necessarily think it will happen. The last horse I thought had a legit shot was Smarty. That one broke my heart, taking me back to thoughts of my beloved Sunday Silence. I feel like we have a serious shot this year and can't wait to see first hand.

It won't happen.

Horses today are not in the same league as the ones from decades ago. They are more fragile; do not have the constitution to race as often, race as far, or carry any kind of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    It won't happen.

Horses today are not in the same league as the ones from decades ago. They are more fragile; do not have the constitution to race as often, race as far, or carry any kind of weight.
    Luck is one of the biggest factors and frankly, regardless of the modern durability debate, if I'll Have Another faces a weak field then it's his to lose. 2012 horses aren't run against 1973 horses, so if all entries in the Belmont are marginal in their skills so be it and all IHA needs to be is slightly better.

None of the candidates running the Belmont look suited to 1 1/2 mi as being their niche. I haven't seen in the last decade any runner that took the Belmont and found much success afterwards. Winning it has been a career curse if you ask me.

Mark Valeski is not running and Dullahan getting a different jockey might aide IHA's quest for winning all three. Look at others that may be in the field: Guyana Star Dweej (sprinter who was well beat last time out); Five Sixteen (was 4th last out in an allowance race); Alpha (12th in the Derby); Rousing Sermon (8th in the Derby); Unstoppable U (2 lifetime starts; last won an Allowance Optional Claiming) .... not exactly running up against the likes of Alydar in 2012

If a Triple Crown victory occurs - great we all can celebrate as it wasn't given for just showing up. However folks need to be careful for what they wish for. Once it happens the long pent up craving will be satisfied by the greater public and outside of the immediate pop horse racing won't enjoy some sustained boost. Next year the interest likely will be diminished even with another TC on the line.

All anyone can hope if that if I'll Have Another does win the TC he continues to race all this year and next with success. That will at least validate his position and draw more people to the track "come see the only living TC champ run today". Keep in mind as much as folks rallied around Smarty Jones he never raced again. If had won the TC it would've actually sucked accordingly. Here you have all this support built up and the horse walks away never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    It won't happen.

I don't think this is true, especially considering how close some horses (e.g. Real Quiet-- an inch!) have come to winning. Besides, even if today's horses were "not in the same league...," they're running against each other, not "ones from decades ago." Frequency of TC winners seems to correspond pretty well to the laws of chance: long droughts between clusters of winners.

I'll agree that we have yet to see another Secretariat-- but even he could easily have failed to win the TC if traffic, health... did not go his way. After all, he managed to follow his incredible Belmont performance with a loss to the otherwise forgettable Onion.

These are all "horse races," so sure, I think it makes perfect sense to hope this might be the year to end the drought. 2 down, one to go, and who knows, this horse might take another!

As one of my friends said, though, the horse's name seems sadly undistinguished compared to those of the TC winners we already have: Assault, Whirlaway, Gallant Fox, Citation, Secretariat, Affirmed.... I'll Have Another (cookie, drink) ???

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    .... I'll Have Another (cookie, drink) ???
    Cookie

I hope he can do it! He has distance in his blood line, and he seemed to be surging at the end of the Preakness.

My money's on the little red colt...but I am a sucker for the little guys!

I hope he does it.. I think he has a legit shot and of course luck has to be on his side as well...GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

And didn't someone post that the three race dates are the same this year as they were the last time there was a TC? Surely that is good luck!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    None of the candidates running the Belmont look suited to 1 1/2 mi as being their niche. I haven't seen in the last decade any runner that took the Belmont and found much success afterwards. Winning it has been a career curse if you ask me.
    Worth noting that 2011's Belmont winner, Ruler on Ice, just won today (WED 1/30/13) by a 1/2 length at best over only three optional claimers in a third-level allowance race. The 5-yr old horse making his 2013 debut has gone 0 for 9 starts since upsetting the Belmont at 24-1.

Gah, the life of an owner must entail a lot of nail biting, hand wringing and hair pulling.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Gah, the life of an owner must entail a lot of nail biting, hand wringing and hair pulling.
    To say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Worth noting that 2011's Belmont winner, Ruler on Ice, just won today (WED 1/30/13) by a 1/2 length at best over only three optional claimers in a third-level allowance race. The 5-yr old horse making his 2013 debut has gone 0 for 9 starts since upsetting the Belmont at 24-1.
    Reminds me of Mine That Bird. HUGE upset by winning the Kentucky Derby, and then never won another race. (but at least they kept him in Graded company and didn't drop him to claimers before retiring.)
    I firmly believe that the term "Come here, you little piece of shit" was coined by a horse person chasing an errant poop ball around a stall.