The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall & Pasture to Pasture Only

My gelding is going to have to go from stall and pasture board to pasture only, starting the first of June. Right now he's on turnout at night, so he's already accustomed to being out in the dark. I think he ought to be turned out in the new pasture for a couple of DAYS until he finds all of the fences, gets accustomed to the new horses, etc. There are 'stalls' made along the fence line, where the horses are separated while they eat their grain, so I'm not worried about his weight as an issue. He'll be on the same farm, just across the road, but cared for by the same staff, who have been super careful with him, and are very fond of him.

Is there anything I can do to make his transition easier?

Don't worry about it at all. Horses have far better night vision than we do, and in most places there's more than enough ambient light around for him to find his perimeters.

What I WOULD do is walk his new space yourself, in daylight of course, and look for any hazards he could trap a foot or leg under, gates with inadequate closure devices, make sure the water isn't dirty and the grass is adequate if he'll be on that alone.

Are there any other horses there now? I hope he'll have at least one buddy--tends to avoid problems with separation anxiety and "testing" the fences.

At this time of year, night turnout is preferable since he'll be in and protected from the gnats and flies during the day.
    Try not to worry too much, but be prepared to address any issues if they come up. He'll be fine!

Agree with what SwampYankee said. To me the issue is not that he's going to 24/7 turnout (he will love you for it!) but that there are new horses. The transition to a new herd is the issue that should be focused on, but if he's at the same barn with excellent care and staff then they will manage the transition well.

Just put him out there and keep an eye on things. He'll love it, more than likely. When I brought mine home from boarding to my own place they just went out on grass and never looked back.
    Click here before you buy.

Agreed that you will have one happy horse. 24/7 turnout is the way to go if it works for your needs. Most horses prefer it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

If its possible, I think you should ask that he be put out with the boss horse for a few hours under observation before being put out in the herd at night. He will be fine being out at night; sight wont be an issue.

I should have mentioned that they do a gradual turnout with the boss horse, the alpha, then the beta, and so on. Duh.

He will just be across the road, the only problem is the BO's BIL owns the house with the driveway to the pasture gate, and NO ONE is allowed to drive up to the barn. You have to walk through a small paddock.

I appreciate all the "He'll be fine comments," I guess I am just being a mother hen. Sigh.