The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Returning to the herd...

Okay this is a bit of a rant here! Not my horses, but I do take care of them every morning and this morning I went out to the barn and noticed the two sets of mommas and babies (not that old at all....few weeks? month or two?) were not in their pen. Figured they were in their stalls. Nope. Out in the field with all the other mares (and few old geldings) and we are talking a good number of mares here.... about 20?!

I made the hike to get the horses to the fence for feeding time (of course they are all the way on the back end of the pasture!) and notice that the bay filly and momma were not near the rest or coming up.... I sigh and start walking further to lead them back when I noticed the round bale feeder was broken and wide open- metal stickin out and baby in the middle! Baby sees me and tries to jump over the feeder and doesnt quite make it so stops and goes out the opening. This poor gal is just all sorts of beaten up!!! Nice gash on the inside of her leg and scrapes all over. Not to mention her and momma were both visibly terrified!!! I put my rope over Momma's neck and lead her up to the gate with baby followin and had to keep the other mares away from her... the other momma and baby had their own Secret Service circle from 4 mares with big hind ends aimed at all who came near! That Momma was higher up on the chain before foaling and had been around longer.

I let the head barn hand know and he was just a furious. I didnt quite catch the story of how they ended up getting turned out last NIGHT... something to do with the horse owners and the barn owners.... Horse owner came out and was pretty upset and told us that her pair is not to go back out there no matter what anyone tells us and if anyone tries to argue they can argue with her. They are now back in their own pen with two NICE mares who dont really seem to care what momma and baby do... Later on, one of the barn owners comes up to me and asks how the babies did last night.... I tell him what happened..... he responded that the gash on the filly's leg happened last night when they first turned her out..... I didnt really know what to say...my mind was screaming... Wait a flippin minute.... you SAW this foal get hurt and left her out there?!?!?!?! He continued to say that we would give her a day or two to calm down before putting them back out there.... w...t...h.....

Other momma baby set was still out with the mares when I left work.... I'm still a bit nervous about them though... they did have a good number of protection but if one of them slips for just a moment....I dont wanna see a dead baby! There isnt much I can really do as they aren't my horses but a dead horse is my responsibility... I've always heard that broodmares go with broodmares.... some mares just arent fit for foals...
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

"He continued to say that we would give her a day or two to calm down before putting them back out there.." I hope the owner of the mare and foal is made aware of this plan. I would be FURIOUS!

Ditto what Joanne said!

Does the Barn Owner have a reason for wanting to put them in with 20 other horses instead of where they were perfectly happy?

Off topic but how big of fields are we talking about too?

P.

I'm pretty sure she knows.... thats why she came to tell all the help not to put her back out there. And I dont know the reason for them going out there.... they just were Usually before we would introduce horses to the herd we put them in the small panel pens by the fence for a week and put them out during the DAY!

im not exactly sure how big the fields are. They are quite large though.... i'd guess about 15 acres give or take? enough room for ten round bales to be well spread out. I'm pretty terrible at guesstamating.... the whole property is 75 acres just for the horse portions.... two large pastures, three 4 horse, 2 singles...
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!