The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Customer service

I am in the customer service industry. I've learned over the years what customers should be able to count on from a business/company from being both the servicer and the consumer. I am continually shocked and surprised a the customer service policies from big companies.
    Laube, for example, is a big player in the clipper world internationally, yet their cutomer service is extremely primitive.
    I've had two Laube clippers. The first I puchased in 1996 and used and abused them as my barn's primary clipper in the groom area. They got dropped, stepped on, drug, dirty, did several dozen body clips, and finally succumbed, deservedly, in late 2010. Thus, when I made an additional clipper purchase (I have other kinds as well) I researched Laube again and made a purchase on a cordless model. They have recieved positive reviews. Unfortunately, my set has not been good. They have never charged well and after sending them back twice, they now do not charge at all. They have hardly been used. The original blade is still sharp and there is not a spec of dust on them. The company is washing their hands of them. I'm not saying they make a bad product necessarily, as my first pair can demonstrate. But when I have sent them in, I've gotten no aknowledgment of their arrival, no phone call to inventory work done or parts replaced, no invoice when product returned to me of work done or parts replaced, and I am still awaiting a call back from the general manager from a call I placed on Thursday. Primitive.

I'm hoping that writing this will make me feel better.

Don't drop the ball on this. Companies make us wait for a response many times over because many times the customer just gives up. Be persistent. Stick with it until you are satisfied--not put off. And document, document.