The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcmIV:
    Ok all the smiley gaga flirty crap between Aragon and the blonde lady bugged me.

He seemed to be looking at her and remembering his true love, which is understandable, but she bugged me being all coweyed over some guy she just met who clearly has a woman already.

She better go away!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

martha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grr... she bothers me! Agreed! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rush Hour~
    *Children's Jumper Clique*Thoroughbred Clique*NH Clique*

"... Tiny tots, with their eyes all aglow, will find it hard to sleep tonight."

*Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~

**Proud owner of a spunky Alydar grandson**

In 45 minutes, I will be seeing the movie again . However, this time, I will be seeing it on IMAX!!!! How awesome is that? I'm so excited [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by piaffeprincess98:
    I just got back from seeing the movie. I LOVED it like I knew I would! The stallion was gorgeous, I about cried when I saw him cantering in the field. *melts*....Oh and Orlando wasn't too bad looking himself! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~*Lindsay*~
    An aspiring photographer specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off course he wasn't! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Okay people, please someone reassure me I am not the only one that acutally finds Orlando Bloom more attractive as an elf? I have no idea what is is, I don't even like guys with long hair. But wowie! Oh and lets not get me started on Craig Parker who plays Haldir. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rush Hour~

*Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~

Deep space - corner of no and where (aka Texas)

I loved the intricate braids in Legolas' hair. He was always my favorite character - I had a serious crush on him in the books, and I absolutely love how Orlando Bloom portrays him.
    Also, I'm liking Viggo Mortenson (Mortensen?) more and more as I learn stuff about him. I love that he bought Brego, and that he's a published poet, and man does he fill out his armor! LOL
    So, if you had to pick one, which was your very favorite horse in the LOTR: Two Towers?

"We can talk...or not talk...for hours, and still find things to not talk about!"

Book: If you take advantage of her, you\'re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. Firefly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artienallie:
    Oh - Delighted, Pippin's hands are still tied when he's screaming, look at the way he's holding them. I thought the same thing you did, but finally saw the rope on this, our THIRD viewing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.. Having seen that scene upwards of 30 times now, I was pretty sure he has one hand on the ground on either side of his body when he screams, then rolls away with them bound tightly at the wrists, but hey, I have nothing but time to sit around and watch that movie, so what're another four(teen) tries at watching that part? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'll have to look again next time I work. Hehe..

I finally hit my limit of watching the same parts over and over again today (I watch from the booth when I don't have movies starting or ending, so I see the same pieces - the above being one of them - so many times a day) so I have put myself on self-imposed LOTR lockdown, so I can stand watching it in full (from INSIDE the theater! Heavens!) later on.. But, before that happened, I counted three different horses that Aragorn rides from the beach to Helms Deep - I need a life! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On Saratoga: Bet you didn't know dressage horses like to eat little grey jumpers..
    \"A redhead and an appaloosa mare... heaven help us should one of you get mad...\"

Don't worry about the stuff with Aragorn and Eowyn. It wasn't really portrayed the way it should be. Arwen doesn't really have a big part in the books -- until the end. It works in the books.

And where can I see this on IMAX?????

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
    *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
    *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Britney - that's actually exactly what I said in my post. I think that Orlando Bloom is undoubtedly a cutie, but he's nowhere near as attractive as Legolas is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. The way he shoots those arrows just dissolves me into a pathetic puddle of slobbering admiration.

Delighted - I could be wrong (and probably am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]), but when I remember that scene, Pippin's hands are bound at the wrists and he has them on his chest, under his chin, as he's shrieking away in terror.

To everyone else - I don't know, I'm okay with Eowyn. If all I'd ever had eyeing me were family members and one of Saruman's evil henchmen, and someone like Aragorn came along and didn't seem repulsed by me, I'd be shooting lovelorn gazes at him as often as I could too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. Besides, as HelloAgain (I think it was) said, she turns out to be one cool chick.

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

[This message was edited by Kachoo on Dec. 23, 2002 at 10:16 PM.]
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

It was wonderful. As a die hard fan of the books, I have to say that these movies are completely successful in reinterpreting the Tolkein story. They are the only movies that I would say are as good as the books on which they are based. They're totally different, but they work.

The cinematography alone is stunning. As someone who "worships at the altar of visual sensation" (I can't walk five minutes anywhere without admiring the beauty in something, be it a white wad of gum pasted onto the wet slick of pavement) I spent most of the movie staring dumbstruck at the scenery and the composition of the shots. I'm going to have to see it again (in our small town theatre it's $3.50 on cheap night and a whopping $5.00 every other night) and actually take in the dialogue and whatnot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The Ents were so cool. They could have looked dumb, but they had a certain majestic air about them which I appreciated. Some very funny Gimli moments. Gollum was adorable. Liked the scene when they first encounter the Rohirrim--"What news from the North, Riders of Rohan"--and I really liked the scene when Aragorn is on his horse about to go into battle and Eowyn has to stay and take the people to shelter and they have a Meaningful Look. Even though I know how Aragorn's romance will turn out, I'm rooting for him and Eowyn.

Oh yeah, does anyone have a link to the gallery of photos that Viggo took while filming? Very impressive photography. He seems like such a great person.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J. Turner:
    I am still working on getting through all the hours of extended footage.

I thought there was an actual Nat'l Geog. special on the making of FotR on it, but maybe that's on the extra-extra special edition.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that is in the collector's edition with the bookends. The special actually airs on TV fairly regularly..I watched it again last night. It should be airing again Saturday Dec 28 on MSNBC at 6 PM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Kris
    -Kristen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Britney:
    [QUOTE]Okay people, please someone reassure me I am not the only one that acutally finds Orlando Bloom more attractive as an elf? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, you're in fine company. I suspect I'm the only girl alive who likes his looks better as Orlando than as Legolas. A little more interesting, I think, but I'm in the minority...

Topic. As good a job as they did with the CGI on the Nazgul's flying mount, I still wish it had been a horse. Part make-up, part presentation, but part corrupted-living-thing as well -- I thought the horses were so much creepier.
    http://longestformat.blogspot.com/

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

OK, I have kind of a nerdy question about something in the two movies that just didn't make sense.

If Arwen decides to marry Aragorn does she lose her immortality or what [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Am confused.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kachoo:
    To everyone else - I don't know, I'm okay with Eowyn. If all I'd ever had eyeing me were family members and one of Saruman's evil henchmen, and someone like Aragorn came along and didn't seem repulsed by me, I'd be shooting lovelorn gazes at him as often as I could too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. Besides, as HelloAgain (I think it was) said, she turns out to be one cool chick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeppers! She's actually my favorite character in the whole durned thing! At least, when reading the books.

Am I the only person with a Boromir "thing"? LOL? I didn't think he was great until the last scene of FOTR and now he's my favorite guy. Even though he's "dead"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Anyway my favorite horse is the grey that Legolas rides, just to keep this on topic. My 2nd favorite is the grey that Arwen rides in the first movie... all that lead swapping and turning... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Did you notice Shadowfax's lead change as he galloped to Gandalf? He was one stride late behind! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ok for the hunters, but I guess he wouldn't make a dressage horse. haha

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
    *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
    *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Without saying exactly WHAT will happen here's the deal. The Elves are leaving Middle-Earth. They get on ships and they sail West to a place called Valinor which is also known as the Undying Lands. There they live forever outside the world of men. Only elves know how to get there, it's not "on the map" so to speak. Only a special Elven boat can take you to Valinor.

IF Arwen decides to stay in Middle-Earth, she will be left alone when all her family departs. She won't be able to get to Valinor (no ships). When Aragorn dies, she will still be young. So, it's not exactly that she loses her immortality. She would actually still be immortal, but separated by all she ever loved.

BUT, you see Arwen is actually only 3/4 Elf (you'd hardly know it from the movie, but Elrond her father is Half-Elven). She can choose to die at will if she wants.

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

It's my understanding Arwen can not die at will, but that she has to "give back" all that she has. So if she already lived a thousand years, she needs to spend the same amount of time until her death. Which is quite sad.

I do know Aragorn is supposed to live twice as long as a regular man - supposedly he's around 60 years old and lives to over 140.

Did you know Galadriel is Arwen's Grandmother??
    Member, Equine Artist Clique

I know I get things mixed up, but I thought the Elves were going to the Grey Havens or is that just a third name for the place. Gosh, you would think after reading these books 5 times over the last 27 years I could get something correct.

I reread the appendices and Arwen returns to the woods of Lothlorien and dies on the forest floors.

Did I read that wrong too HelloAgain?

Pat

My friends and I have already discussed this; Legolas has been living in my closet since the Fellowship of the Ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I definately find Legolas more attractive as an elf. Something about those ears, I'm sure. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and the correct spelling for Gollum's name is Smeagol. Just thought I'd point that out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")
    We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")

I loff all this talk of who's who and all the places on middle-earth, etc. It makes me feel like such a nerd, but I'm proud! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I seriously can say I have never seen a movie that made me feel so involved and want to be a part of than this one, and the whole LOTR trilogy itself. Everything about it just amazes me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I must say my absolute favorite horse was Brego. He is just so gorgeous! Second would probably be the grey Arwen rode in FOTR.

I dunno, I am absolutely in love with the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I think Arwen is probably my favorite character. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for the last movie. It's going to be incredible and I'll probably scream and cry. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] A friend of mine told me that these movies come out a year after one another, which would make sense, so is it true the third is coming out in 2003?

~Rush Hour~

*Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pat on the back:
    I know I get things mixed up, but I thought the Elves were going to the Grey Havens or is that just a third name for the place. Gosh, you would think after reading these books 5 times over the last 27 years I could get something correct.

I reread the appendices and Arwen returns to the woods of Lothlorien and dies on the forest floors.

Did I read that wrong too HelloAgain?

Pat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly just another name? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] They defiantely do say in the movie several times that they are going to Valinor.

~Rush Hour~

*Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel Tavy:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Britney:

-I'm going to marry Legolas for his incredible athleticism and blonde, hot, elf-ness. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    -I'm going to marry Aragon because he is the most amazing character. So brave and beautiful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I feel kinda bad though, taking him away from Arwen, because she is like super cool. Oh, and I'm also stealing Brego because I am absolutely in love with that horse. I think he was my favorite character. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .... You _cannot_ have both! It's called sharing, and it's the whole idea of the Holiday season. So, having said that....I get Aragorn because he's so brave and has a nice horse. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You can have Legolas because he has nice hair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yes, Big Elf Army Leader Guy was quite nice looking too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll cut you a deal. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] you can have Aragorn and Boremir (didn't you like him?) and I'll take care of Legolas and Haldir, and we can share Brego. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think I'm more into elves. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Goodness, I NEED to go see this movie again so it can really sink in. I'm going to watch the first one tomorrow now that I've realized my new found love for Haldir and he is in it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Linds- I say we go see it again this weekend! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rush Hour~

*Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~