The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

(I changed the title above as I had an incredible error in what I wrote which HelloAgain mentions below).
    which they did sort of mention in the 30 extra director's cut movie.

Good movie reviews above and I totally agree with what you all say about the good qualities of this movie.

OK, I'll be negatory again - Remember I Do Like The Movie -
    Did anyone else get tired of hearing "women and children to the caves" or some form there of. I know in the books the women don't fight (except of course our wonderful Eowyn), but they don't dwell on the fraility of women as much as the director did of this movie. Women and Children are NOT the same thing. Children need our protection. People need protection, some of them are women and some are men. I still hear this on the news about troubles in todays world and it DRIVES ME CRAZY>>> OK--off my soap box and something horsey...

You were right about how well the horses jumped into the fighting Orcs! That was fantastic. And as they ran down that steep hill, I just pictured the jumpers at Spruce Meadows or Hickstead coming down the big banks.

Pat

[This message was edited by pat on the back on Dec. 21, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

The horses were GORGEOUS, especially Shadowfax! Arod (Legolas' horse) was a cutie, too. I also wouldn't mind taking home that liver chestnut Aragorn was riding, either!

We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")
    We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pat on the back:

Did anyone else get tired of hearing "women and children to the caves" or some form there of. I know in the books the women don't fight (except of course our wonderful Eowyn), but they don't dwell on the fraility of women as much as the director did of this movie. Women and Children are NOT the same thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rewatched "Out of Africa" this weekend, and Karen has a line when the British Army man comes to see her about having a man send supplies to the men at war and all women and children needing to come into town. She asks if that's one category or two [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Then she goes and delivers the supplies herself (on horseback!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I too can't wait for Return of the King. And the giant extended DVD set of Two Towers. The relationships that were developing in it were wonderful, almost better than I remembered in the books. Definitely second the comments about Sam's character, as I was getting misty at that little speech he gave Frodo about doing the hard but right thing as they were leaving Osgiliath. I was pretty sure, though, that Gandalf picked up Merry and Pippen at some point, as I seem to recall both of them on Shadowfax with him? I now want to find time to sit down and reread the books! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The movie doesn't end where the book ends (just as it doesn't start where the book starts) because then ROTK would be an awfully short movie.

Without giving too much away, many reunions are still in the future, not to worry.

I sat down with my very worn copy of The Two Towers last night to re-read it. Some sections of the movie -- like when Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli meet Eomer's company -- are unbelieveably accurate renderings from the book.

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

PLEASE put *SPOILERS!* In the title of this subject! That way people will know there are spoilers in this subject (since it does tell tidbits of the movie).

Thanks! (Just trying to keep others from thinking it will only talk about horses and not talk about pieces of the flick.)

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

The sword was called was Narsil; that was reforged (and renamed "Anduril") in FOTR.

Elendil was a guy, a Numenorean guy, the father of Isildur and Anarion. Narsil belonged to him back in the day.

So much for skimming through the books to find the things (of which there are many) that I have forgotten.
    Pat

Emma, Thanks so much for the link. I've just spent a marvellous two hours exploring Sir Ian's web site. What an awesome man.

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I am absolutely dying to see it, but I have to wait until my friend gets back from Vancouver, and my other friend gets out of the hospital. Sob. We decided that we all had to see it together, like last year, and now I'm really regretting this decision! All well, I read through this whole thread and a bunch of critics reviews to get my fix. I've read the book so I already know what's going to happen.

So how was it compared to the first movie? Better, worse, incomparable?

Did they do anything with the elf/horse bond mentioned in the books?

Anyone notice the homoerotic undertones between Sam/Frodo? I certainly don't think that they were intentioned to be gay, but everyone (even BBC) is saying there is a lot of, er, sexual tension in the movie. Hee.

I'm glad to hear that they weren't entirely faithful to the book because it just doesn't work. You can't make a movie work on the same level as the book on which it's based, but you can make it work on a new and different level. Look at what happened to the Harry Potter movies--they were just bland.

I]Only somebody who had consumed two or three quarts of assorted home made wines at a sitting could have an inkling of the quaking nausea, the raging inferno within, the jangling nerves, the black despairing outlook.[/I] --James Herriot

Well it was a different kind of movie then the first one. We were all astounded by the visuals the first time around. This one goes another direction. though it has plenty of special effects and an incredible Gollum, it's more about the characters and the interaction between them.

Elf /horse relations were skimmed over, it is a long enough 3 hours as is.

No, I didn't get any sexual tension between Frodo and Sam...as in the book he is a totally devoted servant or at least that is the way I saw it.

I liked it. Loved the horse work. If anything it was a little long and I did have trouble with one very short shot that made me go "Yeah, right". Just didn't believe it-but it's the only stupid scene in either movie so that's pretty minor. Didn't throw me off the movie.

If you like horses you'll love it.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I said in the other thread, but that one died -- I was pleased by how clearly the Uruk-hai came to Helm's Deep prepared to fight horsemen. All those pikes...very nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tosca:

Anyone notice the homoerotic undertones between Sam/Frodo? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

::cough:: Not to incriminate myself, but I did turn to my friend at one point and say (re: Gollum), "Sam will kill him if he tries anything."
    bullyandblaze.wordpress.com

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>::cough:: Not to incriminate myself, but I did turn to my friend at one point and say (re: Gollum), "Sam will kill him if he tries anything."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO. Thanks a lot! Now I'm going to be thinking of that and giggling the whole time... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I loved it!!! But seeing all those horses and close-up-horsey-head-shots got me thinking: Did anyone else see those great braided bridles? I WANT ONE!!! So here's my question: Does anyone know where they got those killer bridles, and how can I get one, short of breaking down and doing it myself? (which I am very close to doing if I can get the leather...)
    Thanks everyone!
    Let me fall,
    Let me climb.
    There\'s a moment
    when fear and dream must collide.
    Cirque du Soleil

I'm sure you all know this very well by now, but the Andalusian (did i spell that right? sorry! sorry!) who played Shadowfax was trained to be controlled by a "low-slung neck wire", so i guess that's the "rope" everyone's commenting on.

wouldn't it be great to sign up to be a horse wrangler and end up as a ringwraith? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Let me fall,
    Let me climb.
    There\'s a moment
    when fear and dream must collide.
    Cirque du Soleil

In the last shot of them on their horses, Gandalf had stirrups!!!! I guess there is a saddle under his cloaks!

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
    *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
    *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In the last shot of them on their horses, Gandalf had stirrups!!!! I guess there is a saddle under his cloaks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I am pretty sure that I saw a white girth on Shadowfax. You have to look quickly and I don't remember which scene it was in, but I think I saw one.

Did Aragorn have 2 different horses? Or was he supposed to be riding the same horse throughout the movie? Because it seemed like one horse was a slightly lighter colored chestnut with different white feet than the horse he was riding later.

I liked the movie. I think I liked "Fellowship of the Ring" more, but I liked "The Two Towers." I need to watch it a couple more times and absorb it a little more. I haven't read the books, but Mr. Cloud has and he's not entirely happy with the new movie. He thinks it was really bad the way Faramir was handled in the movie.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!"
    \"So shines a good deed in a weary world\" - Willy Wonka

I was the one who posted the other horsey LOTR links on another LOTR thread a while back. Here they are again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This site gives a lot of behind-the-scenes info about the horses used in the movies.

This site has a little information about Viggo Mortensen. He liked his horse (a warmblood dressage horse) so much that he bought it!! There are pictures of the horse. He looks really nice!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!"
    \"So shines a good deed in a weary world\" - Willy Wonka

Aragorn rode a leggy chestnut until he was drug off by the orc on the......whatisit....warg? and went over the cliff into the river.

Arwen seems to dream up the chunkier bay that awakens him and carries him through the rest of the film.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Too bad Faramir wasn't on a horse (sigh). Maybe in TRoftK.

The homo erotic stuff ... all I can say is the BBC should know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]. It is a fine tradition with them, lol. I think it was American actors clumsily attempting to portray British male camaraderie (which unless I am mistaken has been know to "go there" occasionally).

All in all a fine movie. My husband now has to put with my desire to move to Rohan. Can't find it on mapquest, though.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.