The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Saw it last night...great movie

I just saw the movie and loved it. I'm amazed how much of the books I remember, considering I read them about 30 years ago.

Anyway, how many of you would lie on the ground and let your horse suck on your nose? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I don't trust my guy to leave my nose in the same condition he found it.

BTW, does everyone on the side of right and good have blue eyes?

Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't see any sexual tension between Frodo and Sam.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

I found a really good article about the horses in LOTR. The link that I got it from said that "LOTR is a visual feast for horse lovers." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif It talks a lot about the training of the horses and the choreography of the galloping scenes:

www.horsecity.com/stories/010903/gen_lordofrings_HB.shtml

Only somebody who had consumed two or three quarts of assorted home made wines at a sitting could have an inkling of the quaking nausea, the raging inferno within, the jangling nerves, the black despairing outlook. --James Herriot

just_me, PSG might think my nose was karoten, bye bye nose! You have to remeber LotR was written in a time, gone by, when "compainionship" and expressing compasion wasn't "gay". Heck gay wasn't "Gay" it was happy or full of cheer. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the link Tosca

I plan to live forever ...
    ... so far so good.
    \"The fool on the hill\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You have to remeber LotR was written in a time, gone by, when "compainionship" and expressing compasion wasn't "gay". Heck gay wasn't "Gay" it was happy or full of cheer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I totally agree. That's why I was surprised at the comments about there being "sexual tension" between Sam and Frodo.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Tosca, thanks for posting the link to the article!! It was really interesting!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!"
    \"So shines a good deed in a weary world\" - Willy Wonka

Re: Spoilers

True fans have already read all the books.....

To bring this back to horses:

I'm interested in seeing how they will portray Snowmane killing Theoden (or will they?) in ROTK. Even a helmet wouldn't have helped the poor guy!

If we manage, throughout our training to preserve both the gentleness and the gaiety of our horse we shall not, in the end, go very far amiss--Wynmalan
    If we manage, throughout our training to preserve both the gentleness and the gaiety of our horse we shall not, in the end, go very far amiss--Wynmalan

Proud member of the GA Clique, Klutz Klique and Adult Pony Rider Clique

CrazyEventer...
    Count me in your "I love hot elves on horses Clique". What a hotty Orlando is!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

And to keep Erin happy; the horses are also pretty good looking!! What beautiful scenery, I would love to do a 3day there!!

Loyal servant of Queen Joker Britches. Best friend of Haidas Poisen. Confused partner in crime with Skys the Limit.
    \"For things that we must learn to do before we can do them we learn by DOING THEM!\" -Denny Emerson

I loff orlando. But to keep this horse related... did anyone else think shadowfax was kinda a let down? I didn't think he was that spectacular, in fact I didn't really like him at all. He wasn't at all what I expected.

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."~Dune~

[i]Only great sorrow or great joy can reveal your truth.~ Kahlil Gibran
    My current project of local food/sustainability http://community.fingerlakesfoodie.com

TO be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Shadowfax either...... but I hestitated to say anything and put a damper on everyone's parade!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

In fact, I was impressed by the LACK of horses in the movie.... :P I wish they were more promienent.

martha
    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

In the books, he kinda "changed" colors:
    Being as burnished silver (mithril?) in the sun, but is like a shadow running under the moonlight.

Brego was never a horse, but a king of the Mark; a son of Eorl The Young. Why PJ decided to turn him into a horse, is beyond me.

I, too, am wondering about the Snowmane/Theoden thing in RotK..'course Snowmane was supposed to be snow-white in color, so maybe they'll just change/delete that whole ending as well.

**SPOILER FOR 3R MOVIE, and/or BOOKS**
    Someone asked about Galadriel's prophesey of "the ring shall be the death of the ringbearer"...Well it IS: Remember just WHO it was that had the ring at the very end? and into the Fire Of Mt. Doom he went, to his death. So there you have it.

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with unarmed people."

cascaron Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horselips:
    In the books, he kinda "changed" colors:
    Being as burnished silver (mithril?) in the sun, but is like a shadow running under the moonlight.

Brego was never a horse, but a king of the Mark; a son of Eorl The Young. Why PJ decided to turn him into a horse, is beyond me.

I, too, am wondering about the Snowmane/Theoden thing in RotK..'course Snowmane was supposed to be snow-white in color, so maybe they'll just change/delete that whole ending as well.

**SPOILER FOR 3R MOVIE, and/or BOOKS**
    Someone asked about Galadriel's prophesey of "the ring shall be the death of the ringbearer"...Well it IS: Remember just WHO it was that had the ring at the very end? and into the Fire Of Mt. Doom he went, to his death. So there you have it.

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with unarmed people."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point on the ringbearer, horselips, and I'm with you on changing Aragorn's horse from Roheryn to Brego. Roheryn (gift of the lady) is even a more appropriate name ... as the horse appears after the dream sequence with Arwen. Maybe the extended version DVD will explain Brego. We can always hope ...

that part about ROTK .ye sit is tehdeath of teh BEARER of teh ring.. BUt also remember what happens to our fav Hobbit in the end.By the way ( keeping it horse related just for you ERin) what did you think of the special effects of the river of horses in FOTR???
    Brilyntrip

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

While being chased by the Ring wraiths, Arwen asked him (in Elvish) to go faster, and it shows a close-shot of him arching his neck, switching leads and lengthing strides. It was cool; he had that determined look.

I wished Snowmane would have been white/grey (like SF), and SF would have been a nice steel grey, w/ a silver mane and tail. At least, that is how I pictured him in the books.

**CAUTION**:
    **MAJOR RotK movie/book SPOILER**

I believe our fav hobbit was given a passage on one of the ships sailing beyond The Grey Havens, because he was a also a Ringbrearer (remember, Bilbo went, too), AND didn't Arwen let him go in her stead?

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with unarmed people."

Oh I know. I loved Asfaloth. He seems to emobody more what I thought shadowfax would look like. Everytime I watch that part in FoTR, where Arwen is being chased, and Asfaloth is racing through the woods, I get all goosebumpy and shivery. Thats like one of my favorite parts of the movie.
    [i]Only great sorrow or great joy can reveal your truth.~ Kahlil Gibran
    My current project of local food/sustainability http://community.fingerlakesfoodie.com

CrazyEventer,

I was a little hesitant to post this, but I also didn't think Shadowfax was all that spectacular. I too thought that he'd look more like Asfaloth. To me he actually looked sorta ponyish, not so much like a lord of horses.

I guess it's maybe because we were all picturing Shadowfax as a big, powerful stallion, and it might be hard to train such a horse to go sans saddle/bridle, do other tricks, and be quiet enough for Ian Mckellan to ride in the slower close up scenes. Thus, they had to use a gelding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."
    --Robert Benchley
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

lonewolf - But the horses that portrayed Shadowfax WERE stallions. A 12 yr old and a 16 yr old, if I remember correctly.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.