The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF method for Calculating points for Champion and Reserve at an A show

Hi, I have looked for info. on USEF for calculating points for champ and reserve at an A show. I found the form for Points for A, B and C shows for national (and perhaps state points) but couldn't find the individual horse show one. I believe it is 10, 6, 4, and 2 but would love to be able to have document on hand at shows.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Limerick; May. 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm pretty sure its in the general rules (near zone/national points), but its been years since I looked
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Points at horse shows only for champ and reserve calculation

1st place -10 pts
    2-6
    3-4
    4-2
    5-1
    6- 0.5

If there is a tie - the horse with higher points over fences wins

Thanks! I would like the USEF form though.

Anyone know where to find it?

HU147:
    The Champion and Reserve Champion titles are awarded to the top two of the four horses
    that acquired the most points performing over a regulation course with obstacles at the full
    height required in the section in which shown, except under the provisions of HU112. In addition
    to these points, only these four horses, receive half points for ribbons won in Model
    classes and full points for ribbons won in one Under Saddle class. Exception: High Performance
    and Performance Working Hunter sections with three classes receive half points for
    the under saddle class, see HU106.

and this http://www.usef.org/documents/discip...bulation.pdf?1
    This relates to the new rules change as well

So A and AA shows use the C rating to calculate champ and reserve. I am not seeing anything that specifically mentions champ and reserve?

Thanks for the replies so far!

copied from USEF site

Championship and Reserve Championship:
     Division champions will be awarded 2.0 times the total 1st place point value of the first class in that section. The first place point value is the number of entries added to the base points on the chart. For example, in an “AA” section with nine entries in the first class, the Championship for that section would earn 98 points. This is calculated by adding 9 (#of entries) to 40 (1st place base points for “AA”) and then multiplying the outcome by 2.
     Division reserve champions will be awarded 1.2 times the total 1st place value of the first class in that section. This is calculated the same way as the Championship except you multiply by 1.2.

no - that's for determining how many national or zone points are awarded for a ch/rch.

see GR808
    6. In Hunter sections only the first six ribbons in each class are counted regardless of the number offered. Ribbons have the same value even if less than the specified six places are awarded due to lack of entries. First Place...10 points, Second Place...6 points, Third Place...4 points, Fourth Place...2 points, Fifth Place...1 point, Sixth Place...1/2 point.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    no - that's for determining how many national or zone points are awarded for a ch/rch.

see GR808
    6. In Hunter sections only the first six ribbons in each class are counted regardless of the number offered. Ribbons have the same value even if less than the specified six places are awarded due to lack of entries. First Place...10 points, Second Place...6 points, Third Place...4 points, Fourth Place...2 points, Fifth Place...1 point, Sixth Place...1/2 point.
    thank you - I was searching high and low for that!

Amazingly enough it was almost exactly where you would expect it (if you expected it to be under general rules, which would be your first hurdle):

GR808 - Awarding Championships

Even more interestingly (and this is where we get back to the fun that is AHSA/USEF rules, it does not say anything about points o/f breaking the tie, even though (as the long time owner of a good jumping horse that was the hack loser) I know it to be a rule. That little clarification is probably buried in some other section like Paso Fino sounding board measurement requirements.

Amazingly enough it was almost exactly where you would expect it (if you expected it to be under general rules, which would be your first hurdle):

Even more interestingly (and this is where we get back to the fun that is AHSA/USEF rules, it does not say anything about points o/f breaking the tie, even though (as the long time owner of a good jumping horse that was the hack loser) I know it to be a rule. That little clarification is probably buried in some other section like Paso Fino sounding board measurement requirements.
    The tie breaking rule comes right after the rule that I had posted.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

10 6 4 2 1 1/2. Top four over fences only earn points for the hack. If a tie, entry with most points over fences gets the ribbon. If you have somehow managed to get a tie with equivalent points over fences, the poor soul handing out the ribbons buries her face in her hands.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    10 6 4 2 1 1/2. Top four over fences only earn points for the hack. If a tie, entry with most points over fences gets the ribbon. If you have somehow managed to get a tie with equivalent points over fences, the poor soul handing out the ribbons buries her face in her hands.

Excellent clarification on the top four being "up for" champ or reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Unless you have TWO hack classes, or a tie IN the hack class, that can't (mathematically) happen.

If they are tied in the "over fences" classes, one of them HAS to get more than the other in the hack, so they would NOT be tied overall.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    If they are tied in the "over fences" classes, one of them HAS to get more than the other in the hack, so they would NOT be tied overall.
    Unless neither one gets a hack ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Unless neither one gets a hack ribbon.
    AH- you are right.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    AH- you are right.
    As a starter, I've been the poor soul with head in hands with this situation more than once. I also had it happen between my sister and me when we were riding in some schooling division or other. We ended up tied with 20 points each over fences and then the judge took a solid look at how badly both our horses trot and found other horses to use in the flat.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG