The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default A safety reminder - PLEASE READ!

I was thinking about waiting to post this since I have submitted an article/blog post to Horse Junkies United about it, but it's too important to wait. With what I just saw someone post about the temps coming up at MayDaze this weekend.... PLEASE... for the love of the gods... if you're staying in your trailer and running a generator, PLEASE spend the $20-40 and buy a Carbon Monoxide detector! Even if you're not running a generator... if you're staying in your trailer, BUY ONE!! I've seen a CO alarm go off in a trailer with a sleeping family when someone else parked their truck next to the trailer and left it running for a bit.

CO poisoning is responsible for an average of 170 DEATHS per year that are not related to cars!! This means generators, heaters, etc. And the CDC says THOUSANDS more end up in hospital ERs due to CO poisoning. it's a stupid way to get sick or die... and a horrible thing to have to be the person to find you dead ... and can you imagine how the organizer of an event would feel to have that happen at their event, much less have to make a phone call to your parents in another state that you (and your friend) died overnight sleeping in your trailer due to CO poisoning from a propane generator you were using to run the trailer AC?

We got lucky at the event this weekend that friends parked close by went to get the 2 girls from their trailer fairly early in the morning. They were both sick and were transported to the hospital for evaluation, but no one was found dead. it's a reminder we all can use. I get saving money on hotels... I think the tradeoff of a more comfortable bed and nice shower for the amount of money saved by staying a night or 2 in my trailer is WELL worth it. But saving $$ isn't worth sacrificing your life. Invest in a CO detector for your trailer if you EVER sleep in it.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

tle,

Please do not forget that folks need to HYDRATE well before they start their day in the heat at MayDaze or any other event.

You do not want to spend a week in a hospital, because of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. You can lose your life by not hydrating enough, too. Ask me how I know?

It is good that you got to the girls in time! Good job.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I'd love to take credit, Auburn, but it wasn't me. I didn't learn what was going on until well after the incident and we were getting ready to start XC. The folks in the trailer next to them evidently went to get them up and found them sick and called 911. I'm just glad SOMEONE found them before it was too late.

But you're right... HYDRATE!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

These two wonderful young ladies are from my barn and we are eternally grateful that they are both alive and well. Lots of thanks were sent heavenward to their guardian angels yesterday! After a day on oxygen at the local hospital, they're both back on their feet. Eventer friends drove their truck and trailer home to Michigan at the end of the day.

One of the girls woke up, fainted, came to and managed to alert the other, who went to get help from a doctor friend parked nearby. The cause was a generator too close to the door of the trailer.

As we waited anxiously at home (our barn hosted a derby all day yesterday), we collectively wrung our hands and talked about all the things you warn your kids about when they go away to a show - drive carefully, stay hydrated, ride sensibly, lock the trailer, etc., etc., etc. Not one of us would have told them to keep the generator far away from the trailer!

As TLE says, please please please make sure your CO detector (and smoke detector too!) are installed in your trailer and have fresh batteries.

BTW, eventers are the BEST! From the doctor friend who assisted them to the Moms that drove them home, there are no better folks on earth!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

allpurpose... THANK YOU so much for the update. I'm so glad they are both doing ok and that everything/one managed to get home. Give them my best.

Good reminder about the hydration too -- having spent many years in chest waders in 110 degree heat, I can promise you, when you are feeling tired and thirsty, you are already in trouble. A dear friend's husband put himself in the hospital overnight with heat stroke during a triathalon last week because he THOUGHT he was hydrating, but it wasn't enough.

Drink all the time when you are not on the horse, water AND gatorade (G2 has less sugar and will do a better job), and stash some protein bars in your brush box too. You will feel so much better! I have made a whole set of rules for myself now about what must be consumed for each phased and by when -- it's made a world of difference.