The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up From rescue to racehorse

Miracle horse beats the odds
    Fri, May 18, 2012 10:35 AM EDT - 3:54
    In 2009, officials rescued 177 starving horses form a breeding farm in upstate New York. One of them has since been nursed back to being so healthy, she ran in a race at Belmont. Erica Hill reports.

http://screen.yahoo.com/miracle-hors...f-26a573692448
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Miracle horse beats the odds
    Fri, May 18, 2012 10:35 AM EDT - 3:54
    In 2009, officials rescued 177 starving horses form a breeding farm in upstate New York. One of them has since been nursed back to being so healthy, she ran in a race at Belmont. Erica Hill reports.
    Not to be rude, but did you actually see the result of her 2nd attempt racing?

Race Chart: Notinrwildestdremz. Belmont Race 6. May 16, 2010. Finished 9th of 9 starters. Lost by 14 lengths

She was scratched from the 1st attempt. The second was absolutely horrible. Period. Trying again would be rubbing salt in wounds in my opinion. Unless they want to run her for $1,500 at Will Rogers.

Sweet story but honestly she isn't suited to race. If this team tries again they are potentially risking injury to her and what point is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Race Chart: Notinrwildestdremz. Belmont Race 6. May 16, 2010. Finished 9th of 9 starters. Lost by 14 lengths

She was scratched from the 1st attempt. The second was absolutely horrible. Period. Trying again would be rubbing salt in wounds in my opinion. Unless they want to run her for $1,500 at Will Rogers.

Sweet story but honestly she isn't suited to race. If this team tries again they are potentially risking injury to her and what point is that?
    to make them look good poor neddy should be down graded in a nice home they make excellent eventers

Maybe she will be the next Zippy Chippy who draws a crowd of loyal fans to watch their favorite lose.

Like Cubs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Could not agree more.

If she went out on that track and was totally into it, I would [personally, and not that anyone asked] have less of a problem with it.
    But it appears she is NOT into it, and EVERY time she works she risks an injury, and I think a horse who has been through what she's been through has nothing left to prove, and deserves a home without having to earn a paycheck for it.

Sad, any way you slice it.
    Then there's the owners claim that one of the 3 they got from the Paragallo seizure had hydrocephalus from having been denied water and then over-indulging in the water he was given. Seriously? These people have read one too many fairy tales, imo.

Kicked the horse in the next stall and then flipped in the gate...
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...elmont-meeting
    Last edited by Angela Freda; May. 21, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Pure exploitation to feed some huge egos in my opinion. Hopefully the next article will be about how they came to their senses and retired her to a discipline she is more suited for.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Pure exploitation to feed some huge egos in my opinion. Hopefully the next article will be about how they came to their senses and retired her to a discipline she is more suited for.
    ^^^ This !

Some people just seem to need their names in media, for whatever twisted reason.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, for that mare.

Let's hope she lands softer next time.