The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    somewhereother than where i\'d prefer tobe

I will preface by saying I have not seen Strapless in person but after watching the Hunter Spectacular tape, I was reminded of the terms "manners and way of going". Did anyone see the flipping of her head, pinning of ears? I do appreciate her jumping consistancy but feel she is not nearly as spectacular as Rox Dene. To me Red Panda has a marvelous way of going and looks like his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "hunter"! I realize that Strapless may have been the best of the trips that night, and I do not know if her emotions are regular or just apparent that evening but to me I'd take Rox Dene for her jump anyday. NO offense. Who's your pick?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

somewhereother than where i\'d prefer tobe

I will preface by saying I have not seen Strapless in person but after watching the Hunter Spectacular tape, I was reminded of the terms "manners and way of going". Did anyone see the flipping of her head, pinning of ears? I do appreciate her jumping consistancy but feel she is not nearly as spectacular as Rox Dene. To me Red Panda has a marvelous way of going and looks like his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "hunter"! I realize that Strapless may have been the best of the trips that night, and I do not know if her emotions are regular or just apparent that evening but to me I'd take Rox Dene for her jump anyday. NO offense. Who's your pick?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Strapless is a lovely horse, no question, but Rox Dene, hands down. (And I have seen them both go - "live").

Rox Dene all the way. People who don't ride horses have even heard of her! She's the classic hunter to me.

****Courtney****

Strapless seems to REALLY flip her tail too! I have never seen this in a big time hunter...Did Rox Dene do the same. I think she's a gorgeous horse but slooking at the pictures on towerheads, I really noticed the tail flip...But I would die to have any nice hunter like her!

Between the two, I'd probably pick Rox Dene, although I think Strapless is pretty amazing. She has great form, uses her hind end, jumps the jump with ease, etc. The little things she did that showed she was a horse and not an automaton didn't bother me. Overall, I thought she seemed to be enjoying her job!

Personally, I was pleased that some of the horses showed signs of life instead of just dullness and that the judges didn't severely penalize a tail flip over a jump, an exhuberent lead change or a teeny bit of playing in a corner.

And yes, I would agree that Red Panda is a lovely horse, looks and goes like a classic hunter and since he's only a first year horse, we can assume he'll get better and better.

You have a good point!! A little more spunk and life to her is a good thing...She truely dows have a beautiful jump and I guess the tail flip is a sign that she is using her ENTIRE body to get over those big jumps!!!

I fell in love with Southern Flight and Rob Graves' new chestnut horse from the tape!

As far as Strapless vs. Rox Dene....No comparison IMO. Rox Dene all the way!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Well, I've never seen Rox Dene "live". I saw Strapless (and really liked her) but from what I've heard, Rox Dene.

I'm glad someone brought up Red Panda. What an awesome, awesome, awesome horse. I'd give almost anything to have that horse at my barn!

Horse On Course
    The Horse Show World Online!

I agree- there is NO comparisson. Rox Dene was superb, from beginning to end. That style and flair ahs something that Strapless has not quite got. Strapless is beautiful, and can jump! but not Rox Dene.

Someone mentioned that the tail might be an extension of that awesome back cracking roundness she has- as the tail is part of the back bone, makes sense to me...any validity in that??

And I agree AHC, a bit of life is nice to see. Although ears laid back is one of the things to me (tiny though it is!) that really makes me cringe. For some reason to me it takes the polish right out of the trip. I'm being pickypickypicky here, but i LOVE seeing earsa pricked and a great big wow i'm loving this! expression.

Becca, I think we're pretty much in agreement. Must say I don't remember Strapless pinning her ears, but I could be wrong. Or maybe it's just that I own a mare and have gotten used to a bit of tail swishing and ear pinning and don't "see" it the same way some others do.

AHC- Ear Pinning in general- not pinning that one on Strapless!! But its all the time in the hutners that they'r all pinning those ears. I like a bit of it is from being sour.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I agree on the ear pinning, although some horses are doing it as a sign of concentration, so it's tough to figure out which from the judge's booth (although if it comes with inverted neck, tail wringing and a stop, it's not so hard).

As for the tail action she displays, since I come from a QH background, it's expected that I prefer a quieter tail (but not nerved quiet, in case there are righteously indignant people lurking!!!).... BUT, her tail flipping really just comes from an extremely athletic back end - the laws of physics are tough to fight!

As for the comparison between Rox Dene and Strapless... Sure, Strapless is every bit as good as Rox Dene... just as soon as she hops in a time machine and goes back and wins the national title in the 1st and 2nd years, does the conformation AND keeps it up in the workings for another couple of years... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I hate nothing more than to watch a horse go around with that crinkled up nose and ears pinned. After watching several rounds of this at Ocala last weekend, I turned to someone and said you know, if my horse ever hated his job that much, I'd just retire him. Shoot.. its not worth it to me because my horse means the world to me. But then again, he doesnt jump like Strapless! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Not that Strapless is that bad.. I dont know where I'm going with this post LOL

I like Rox Dene better.. I just thought she was breathtaking to watch.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

but I was fortunate to be present at the AHJF Hunter Classic last month. Strapless is certainly a gorgeous jumper. I would say only that it's just too soon for comparisons. She doesn't have to win the same things Rox Dene did to be considered as great someday, but she will need to stand the test of time. I never heard of her until last year but even then she won a lot with Lyman T. Whitehead. Let's give her a chance to be great!

I also have to agree with whoever mentioned Southern Flight ... another beautiful jumper. It was so sad to see him take a spill in the middle of a perfect 2nd round.

Can anyone post some pics of these two horses? I must have been living under a rock and I've never seen either of them. Only heard of them last month. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

sorry that I can't do that, but this thread is making me have another Mandy moment... One of the greatest hunters/jumpers (junior/AA/puddle when he was 26)ever, and a stud to boot... If you guys get tired of seeing his pictures, just say so.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Here's a great picture of her. I have it as wallpaper on my computer and just sigh and drool everytime I look at it! I never saw her in person, but based on this picture, I would have to say all the comments about her in this topic are right on the money.....
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Jaime Lynn, aka Silly Mommy--Mandy is amazing, look at those knees! I love the pic with his mane flying all over the place. He looks like a sweetie. I know he was everything to you and I am offering you a virtual hug. You can come cry with me anytime you want. I'll never get tired of seeing Mandy pics!

I wholeheartedly agree with MissD Silly Mommmy... what a beautiful, classic horse he was.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com