The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Love:
    - Weatherbeeta Eskadron boot knockoffs!
    - Wintec saddles!
    - Farnam Tri Tec flyspray!
    - $1.49 wide-toothed hair pick/comb from Walgreens - perfect for tails!
    - Neosporin for cuts.
    - Showsheen for repelling dirt.
    - Stateline Tack Essex bridles cheap and not bad at all for the $$!
    - Keratex! (it's basically formaldehyde)
    - Nice fluffy sheepskin half pad: mmm!
    - Mountain Horse Sportive High Rider boots - comfy!

Hate:
    - Weatherbeeta Moulded galloping boots: nylon webbing edgeing fell apart, and they got permanently stained with poop and a mystery blue weed thing, after 1 use.
    - Laced reins - hell to clean.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghazzu:
    I believe Derma-Gel is only available throught the vet.

I second the flex stirrups (I have the Sprenger knock-offs) for those of us with bad knees.

For sole toughening, Durasole.
    Available online through Alvin Farrier supply, IIRC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A second vote for Durasole -- hardens up tender tootsies in a heartbeat, won't break the bank, and takes up just a tiny spot in the tack trunk!

I buy it at the local "horseshoe mart" -- yup, they sell horseshoes and other stuff.

Off the top of my head...

- Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner. If I had a scanner, I could show some before and after shots of my horse's tail.
    - Corona as a hoof ointment
    - Fleece schooling square from Dover
    - Lifesavers as a cheap, individually wrapped treat (note: not good in Texas summers)
    - Mrs. Pasture's horse cookies
    - My Ariat boots (both paddock and field)
    - My hand-me-down spurs that I got from an old barn mate
    - ORVUS! I love love love this shampoo.
    - Roll-on deodorant (hee hee) fly spray for the pon-pon's eyes and ears
    - Absorbine liniment gel stuff
    - MSM
    - Chiropractic work

DISLIKES:
    - SHOWSHEEN, get it *away* from my horse! I've got a barely used bottle if anybody wants it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    - Mane N Tail (ick ick ick)
    - One of the Equinyl products (GL? maybe?) - didn't do squat for the mare, so she's back on MSM

Geez, I'm drawing a big blank here. It's easier to go through the likes because I can just think about what is in my tack trunk, but I've gone through so much stuff that I don't like, I don't buy it and then I don't think about it anymore.

All I want for my birthday is a COTH khaki hat. Or for mine to come home. That would work too.

Some things I use daily:
    - Orvus Shampoo...faily cheap for the amount you get and I swear you dont run out...I have been on the same jar for like 2 years and MANY horses!

- Quic Silver...it just plain works on greys

- Healthy Hair Care Conditioner...great for everyday on the coat...leaves it shiny and healthy!

-Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner...gets out tangles like ShowSheen without the sticky plastic feeling for a healthy tail

- Tuffin Up/Tuff Stuff...put only on the bottem of the hoof and the sole...strengthens for less cracks etc.

-Corona/Coruncresin around the coronary band for good hoof growth

-Stress Dex...electrolyte supplement that is cheap, works, and tastes great [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-Furall...great for cuts

-For that terrible thrush and an overnight cure mix sugar and betadine and spread generously in hoof. Wrap with vetwrap and cotton and your thrush will be gone by morning!

-QuicClean...last minute stains on a grey solved!

-Listerine for that itchy tail

-SkinSoSoft and water for a fly spray...its hard to find at supermarkets now but it works as well if not better then tack shop fly sprays and is cheaper!

-Vetrolin/Alcohol/Water as a spray on liniment

-------------------------
    -Erin-
    "Im so terrified of no one else but me
    Im here all the time
    I wont go away..."
    (Matchbox 20, Long Day)
    -Erin-
    \"Im so terrified of no one else but me
    Im here all the time
    I wont go away...\"
    (Matchbox 20, Long Day)

VA/MD.. Uk.. Spain.. or a somewhere in between.

GirlLikeThat -- I love mb20! GirlLikeThat is actually my SN somewhere else [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    ~Cass

"Dont let your schooling interfere with your education" -- Mark Twain
    Jocelyn

I take a chance, and steal away this movie moment -Mae

*Cowboy Magic ANYTHING...expensive, but it works!
    *Riovista Ravishing Red Shampoo
    *Biotin Hoof Supplement
    *The big glycerin soap bars for cleaning and Lexol's Restorer and Conditioner for conditioning
    *Weatherbeeta Winter Blankets
    *Big D Sheets...we had one for five years, unfortunatly, it got left at the tack store and they kind of took it since it had been there to long [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    *Pepi Spray ::mmmmmm::
    *Repel X...sorry, but it works on Lexi!
    *Johnson's Baby Shampoo for faces
    *Baby Powder for socks

Dislikes:
    *Nature's Defense...yeah, defending the flies...
    *Ummm...forgot the name, but its the dry-shampoo in the big black bottle...so gross! leaves a filmy, sticky layer all over...::eww::
    *Pull-on bellboots-they'll be the death of us all! Bell boots in general are pretty annoying though, you either have to pull or tape or continue buying every week or so...

Ummm, thats all I can think of right now...

Britt
    &curren Britt &curren

Skin so Soft in the fly spray. Really helps with the sand gnats in the south. I think it really softens the coat, too.
    Raised reins -- think they're so purty.
    Rambos -- last forever
    Dover's Rambo knockoff -- pretty darn good, too
    Wool/fleece half pad -- after the gel pad craze, we go back to good ol' natural products
    Perfectly wrapped polos -- in conservative colors, of course
    Shirts with spandex -- hate armpit wedgies
    Tank tops with built in bras
    Tailored Sportsman -- the cut more than the color
    Charles Owen -- a pretty approved that's comfy and fits
    Dover's Italian bell boot knock offs -- easy on/off and cheap
    Fans
    Blundstones
    Any detangler that works
    Finally having my own clippers

HATES:
    cheap leather - anywhere, anytime
    Fly spray -- why do we go through the motions? See above though for SSSoft.
    Wearing wool jackets in the summer
    Ariats

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
    *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
    *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I just got some Keratex, hoof hardener about a week ago. It's a pain to apply and the oder smelled strangely familiar....then I remembered. Smells just like formaldehyde!! Like those frogs in biology class.

Thumbs up-
    Keratex (after one week already results)
    MSM
    Strategy
    Inexpensive leather girth of good quality- Pauls Harness Shop
    Quick Braid
    Skin So Soft- no it's not perfect, but it smells nice and his face looks nice when I use it
    Rubber pimpled groom mits

What's wrong with Excalibur...works fine for me

Thumbs down-
    Professional Choice SMB's They slip and they are hot
    Fly spray in general
    Fly sprayers in general

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Thumbs up-
    ------------

Dehner Boots

ACE - better riding through chemicals

Calm and Cool Paste - if you dont like chemicals ( use a bit more than they say , and a few hours in advance )

Hooflex for hooves

Venice Turpentine for hardning hooves

Corona for hooves or chafing

DMSO

Glucosamine ( Grand Flex )

Vitamins with Probiotics ( Grand - Vitae )

Beet Pulp for weight gain

Corn Oil for weight gain

Purina brand horse treats - available in 50 lb bags.

Electro Dex electrolytes

Absorbine

Shampoo - they all work but why bathe an animal that rolls in the dirt after you wash it?

SMB's work if you know how to put them on

Fly Spray > Get Repel XP, buy Permethrin CONCENTRATE oil from the farm store, make a batch with both diluted to the appropriate full strength. Repels / kills everything but the cattle flies - will repel them for a while. If you want it really strong add some oil based cattle spray too - but watch out it can burn their skin.

Zinc Oxide Ointment

Bell Boots ( Bar - F )

Davis boot for soaking abcesses

Thousand Mile Horse brand Open Wound Salve yeah its new age kinda / herbal but this one actually works.

Thumbs down-
    -------------

Cheap leather tack
    Myler bits
    MSM
    Chiropractic
    Acupuncture
    Homeopathic remedies
    Magnets
    Lasers
    4 point trim on feet
    Kentucky Breeches
    Cider Vinegar fly spray
    Skin so soft

Thanx

I'm having amazing success keeping every kind of bug off my horse with a once-every-two weeks application of that spot-on stuff plus an every-other-day misting of a mixture of diluted kids' OFF and citronella oil. Only regimen I've ever seen that keeps em off for more than fifteen minutes. Every other bug repellant is worthless. Especially Gnat-away, which apparently works by attracting all the gnats to the treated horse, thus protecting all the other, un-treated horses.

Grooma curry combs-- the best. Grooma mane-tamer thingy: yuck. I've produced nicer looking manes with a pair of thinning shears

Anything made by Kerrits or Mountain Horse is wonderful. Tuff Rider breeches are great as well. Ariat paddock boots suck. Anything made by Devon-air will fall apart on the drive to the barn the first time you wear it.

too fun! it's great that the very thing on one person's "love it" list, is on another person's "hate it" list [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My likes:
    duct tape, baling twine, and double ended snaps
    excalibur
    glycerin saddle soap and lexol
    vetrap (not the knock offs)
    polar fleece coolers, they work great
    weather beeta horse clothing, esp. the old school turnout
    tea tree oil, citronella oil, and peppermint oil for various things
    vetrolin shine for tails
    bigeloil and/or vetrolin
    good old murphy's oil soap for tack
    grooma curries, especially the soft one
    witch hazel
    round cotton leadropes of ample length with a knot tied in the end
    nevr-dull metal polish
    the old-fashioned crocheted (sp?) ear nets - the ones that have fabric covered "ears" and a little croched bonned with fringes

dislikes:
    super ultra lasts two weeks fly sprays.
    bungee crossties - hate those things!
    nylon lead ropes
    lead ropes that don't have knots at the ends!
    rambo blankets. I have always found them to be a bunchy pain in the neck to deal with (being the gal who had to put them on someone else's boarded horse, etc.)
    those "Thermalux" blankets that were so popular about 6-8 years ago - horrific fitting and total shavings magnets
    furacin. Once you stick your finger in the jar, the whole lot is contaminated, it always drives me nuts to see someone taking a glop out of a tub of furacin (with hair and dirt in it...) to put on a fresh wound. Plus it melts and generally gets gross.
    Farrier's Formula. I swear, you can tell by the smell in the stall that a horse is on this stuff, I just hate the smell and I've never known anyone to comment that it made a big difference (I like other products better)
    those farnum mesh fly bonnet things with elastic edges, that when the horse rolls end up with dirt crusted exactly over their eyes, that shift and cause rubs near eyes, etc. They work for some but I've never had luck.
    peace,
    jen

[This message was edited by elnachick on Jul. 16, 2002 at 04:17 PM.]

vetrolin - wonder of all wonders, and it smells SO good!

tea tree hoof oil (with green label) - great for white / striped hooves.

Listerine - the best bit/spur/metal wash, takes out stains, disinfects...

Loreal Kids Tangle Tamer - non-drying and smells wonderful (pear scent especially)

epona bar in a jar saddle soap - puts a great,longlasting luster on tack.

Sore No More - works better than prescription muscle relaxant on my back spasms!

Absorbine Superpoo shampoo - smells nice, cleans well, leaves coats really shiny.

First Ice ice boots - better than ice cells, mold to leg and stay cold forever.

I can't believe I'm the only one here who uses Bite-Free (the expensive stuff in the red bottle)?! It really has worked better than anything else for me.

Clac86 worked for me the first year, after that they must have changed the formula because it ceased to be effective.

I'm glad to hear that Novalsan ointment is back and improved. I didn't like it before because it mutated fairly quickly on the shelf into something other than ointment. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

The apple cider vinegar does seem to be helping with the flies. I've had no problem with them eating just a couple of handfuls of grain with 1/4 cup 2x a day. SWAT works fairly well on their noses and doesn't dilute like regular fly spray. After 2 weeks on the vinegar, I'll be brave and try turn out without fly spray and see what happens. Murphy's oil soap, right off the shelf in the house cleaning product aisle works great on tack. Triple Crown Chopped Forage has been very well recieved by the elderly horses in the barn. All the others want it too!

Good products-

Eqyss anything, espcially the Avocado mist! It's kinda expensive though at $17 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Weetherbeeta blankets/sheets are great, very good quality.

Riovista color enhancing shampoo works good.

As always, show sheen is my friend! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Fiebing's Hoof dressing drys quicker than others so it doesn't come off as bad.

Quick and easy grroming block works on Toppers for his weird skin problems.

Absorbine Supershield green is expensive, but it smells good and works.

Spot On fly treatment worked well for us. I did notice a difference.

Bad things-

I agree, Repel X didn't do much.

Tough stuff kind of dries out the hoof.

~*Lindsay*~
    A proud co-owner of CorLin PROductions, specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I'll chime in here...

"Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - Anon
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I'll chime in here...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] to:
    Rambo and Bucas sheets/blankets. Destructo-pony wasn't able to do any permanent damage to these.

Rubber reins - the English kind. I love the secure way they feel.

Mountain Horse anything, especially their breeches/boots. Great fit for those of us built like a boy - practically indestructible.

Hay ball. I'm hay-net impaired - can't stuff one of those things to save my life. The hay ball is so easy to stuff, and if a horse gets a foot caught (hasn't happened yet), they're not dangerous.

My trailer hitch mirror. Can't remember what it's called, but it's a mirror that hangs over your truck bed to help you align your hitch and ball. Saved me countless hours of frustration trying to hitch up.

Dover canvas half-chaps. Love them. Can't wear them out, and at that price, it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg if they do wear out.

Keratex. Pricey, but for my TBs thin, shelly feet, worked wonders if you were religious about using it.

David med boot. Great for soaking abscesses, etc.

Those coiled hose thingies that wrap around your horse's legs so you can soak without having to hold on to a hose. Great invention! You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] to:
    Absorbine Green fly spray. Smells like soap, feels like soap, flys don't even notice it's on.

Sports Med boots - I'll add to that one! Ick. Collects so much sand, burrs, etc...

Ariat half-chaps. Elastic broke the second week I had them. Too cheap for the money you pay.

Easy-boots. As my former farrier said, Easy-boots are for horses with perfectly shaped feet - and horses with those kind of feet don't need 'em! Can't put them on, can't keep them on. Ugh.

Neumann's Tackified gloves. Hate them - hate that sticky feeling that just won't go away after you take the gloves off. Ick.

"Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - Anon
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Love:

I recently discovered Cowboy Magic detangler. It's worked great to take out burrs and tangles.

Don't waste your money:

Flat hose...A friend had purchased some from a local sale barn and it broke on his first use of it. We assumed that the reason his broke was because you can't anything from the sale barn. So, we thought we'd get some from Home Depot (I expect Home Depot to carry high quality--after this experience I know longer hold that expectation). The stuff broke the second time I used it (it cost about $20 a section...not exactly cheap)...I also ended up getting soaked in 30 degree weather. Nothing like not being able to feel your fingers and knowing that there are still more barn chores to do before you can leave.

I was so mad that I almost took it back to Home Depot and threw it on their counter with me dripping wet and muddy with gross boots and hay on my polar fleece...however, it was on my fiance's credit card. We returned it and they gave him his money back...his comment as he handed the garbage bag to the clerk was "This stuff is crap." That pretty much sums it up.

Now it's back to the drawing board...our neighbors are allowing us to use their water (we don't have a well yet) and we were looking for an easy to drain and easy to deal with way to use about 300 feet (I think) of hose. My fiance is a fire fighter, so we may try to use some fire hose.

MKB...

http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judy A:
    Most off you will turn your noses up at this but it works----1 gal of kerosene---add a little water, not much + a dab of breath o' pine.

Instead of show sheen----Pledge or other furniture spray.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHOA!!!!!! KEROSENE AS in the stuff used as a LIGHTER FLUID? And PLEDGE as in the WOOD CLEANER? Never heard of those before, but you sure are brave! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

**anna**
    *~Proud Founder of the H/J Paints Clique~*
    \"Friends don\'t let friends have mullets.\"

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

mkbrown - at our last barn we had to run hoses for what seemed like miles (no water at the far paddocks). We ran the hose along the fence line and buried it under the leaves - eventually grass grew over it and provided a very minimal insulation. Since the hose was never moved/stepped on or otherwise messed with, we never had to replace or repair it, and it was not an expensive hose (hoses, actually). Then we put those quick snap on/off hose connections AND a on/off valve at all the hose ends. This way you could turn on the hose once and connect/disconnect to the 3 or so differnt connections necessary to water all paddocks, and you only had to drag around the main hose which was not that long.

The only issue we had to worry about was water freezing in the hose in winter, but fortunately it ran slightly downhill to the barn, so if you left the vavle open, all the excess water would drain out.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.