The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RubysMom:
    Excalibur....has anyone figured out how to keep the stuff IN the sheath? I even have a problem cleaning my mare's "tetas" with it.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you don't just take a gob of it and stuff it in there. You rub it on your hand a little bit, then work your now-coated hand up there and... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Same for mares. I have a mare who gets the black cruddies almost daily. A lot of this is due to an old injury that does not allow her to completely lift her tail, so she gets "klingons" and drippies that accumulate. She gets a butt bath almost daily to keep her clean.

Now you know how I have so much experience with sheath cleaner. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

OK, NOW I know how to use Excalibur.
    I would get so mad when the gel would just "glob" out of the sheath, I would be stuffing it into the sheath and it would fall out as fast as I could stuff it in there..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the tip....
    Is there a "blonde moment" clique out there? tee-hee
    \"Proud Member of the I LOFF Starman Babies Clique\"

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

NO problem! It took me the first 10 or 15 tries to figure it out myself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

Well, this thread has taken a turn for the weird, discussing formaldehyde and dairy cow udders. I don't think I want milk from a show cow either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

DMK, to remove Elastikon residue or anything else sticky like that, use something with acetone in it such as Absorbine. Also useful for removing labels from places they should have put labels in the first place. Anyone that has nail polish or fake nails, be careful doing this as it will destroy your nails.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

You don't need to worry, the milk of show cows doesn't even come close to your bowl of Wheaties. They're milked into the drain when they're being treated for anything.

DMK is right as always - the quarters are sections of udder and they're supposed to be even and full looking. Realistically, they're usually not, so some people who show do things to "enhance" the udder. Just like some people who show horses do things to "enhance" a horses disposition, training, or tail.

and back to the original topic

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I love
    show sheen
    Araiat paddock boots - mine last about a year and a half each pair worn ten hours a day avery day - better than my Blundstones that only lasted three months
    SWAT
    Pyrannah fly spray - it actually works
    Poly pads for schooling
    Real sheepskin pads for showing

www.meandercreekstable.com

Well, I am now 1 week into my Apple Cider Vinegar trial and I can now put in in my "Things that work" list. I am deliberately only flyspraying Bear's legs and ears (he has a fly mask), but not putting any fly spray on him body.

He is every bit as happy as the two boys who are wearing fly sheets. I look out to the pasture and his tail is mostly still, with just an occasional flick. Before the vinegar, even with fly spray, he was constantly flicking off flies.

I am feeding all the horses a 1/2 cup morning and a 1/2 cup evening. Only George took a day or so to get used to the taste. I guess he had never been fed apples where he came from. I know that both Warren and Bear love apples, and they had no trouble at all eating their grain with the apple cider vinegar in it.

The best part is, the more they sweat, the better it works, and it can't wash off!
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

Products that I love....

Dermal-gel
    Biozide gel
    Both are obtained through your vet.

Orvus shampoo. A little goes a long way and it rinses clean. Great for facilities that bath many horses.

Quik braid
    Waxed braiding thread
    Solo comb
    Furacin spray
    Ariat boots
    Lexol conditioner

Things I have used and hate....
    Any medication that is "red, blue, etc"
    Wonder dust
    Mane Master
    Any "spot on" fly treatment

Things I wouldn't be caught dead with...
    Spotted, striped or blotched polo wraps, saddle pads or breeches that look like they belong on safari

Hot pink, neon orange, lime green anything

Yay JuniorJumper01!

I've been looking for a girth with brown elastic!
    Not white, not *green* but brown! That way you don't see it so much.

Everyone has given such a wealth of good information.

Thanks!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Aclamado,

Yay! Now I feel like I've actually *added* something to this board. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dover also has a couple of leather and synthetic girths with brown elastic. The Dover Fleece-Lined girth appears to have brown elastic (both ends or one end-your choice) and the sheepskin is :gasp: removable for cleaning ease!

Would give you links but the Dover site is down or something. Or maybe my computer is taking a puke on me...again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

*~Listen! Or Your Tongue Will Make You Deaf.~*

*~If you can't Dodge it, Ram it~*

*~Amanda~*

www.pbec.net

love [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~ absorbine refreshmint. great body wash to make a tired pony feel relaxed and tingly!
    ~ shedrow no-bow cottons. nice and fluffy, very hard to wrinkle
    ~ shedrow (anything!!)
    ~ lexol cleaner and conditioner. both awesome.
    ~ quic braid
    ~ mane and tail shampoo and conditioner
    ~ baby wipes!!
    ~ absorbine hooflex
    ~ farnam wonderdust
    ~ millers/roma galloping boots
    ~ eskadron open front knock-offs (same product, 1/3 the price!)
    ~ waxed braiding thread
    ~ cheap leather halters from greenhawk. they break when needed, and i don't cry!
    ~ sealtex!
    ~ vetrap!
    ~ davis head bumper and splint boots

hate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    ~ fiebings (anything!!)
    ~ can-pro green winter blankets
    ~ cheap immitation "duck" tape (it's gotta be 3M DUCT tape!!)
    ~ neoprene splint boots
    ~ absorbine fly masks (they're ugly and don't stay on!)
    ~ horseman's one-step

[This message was edited by clickstar on Jun. 04, 2002 at 02:11 PM.]
    ::proud member of the sunnieflax clique::
    ~ www.allfoursportraits.com ~

This stuff is great and smells good. Offers protection from all the wonders of summer - sun, etc. and marigolds send bugs running from gardens and in the 3 weeks we've been using this stuff on the "herd" it seems to work.

But I'm with Flash44 - "they [flysprays] all suck." We buy whatever bottle most tickles our fancy. Maybe the vinegar thing is worth a shot....

Favorite things:
    Venice Turpentine
    Cornucresine
    Carr & Day & Martin Belvior Glycerine Soap
    Dan's feed tubs and buckets - I've got quite a few that are antiques by now!!
    Orvus
    super 14

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

Carr Day Martin Main and Tail - the BEST stuff - makes a beautiful tail.

Microtek - excellent - no more scratches or fungus on my redheaded fair skinned boy.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

finzean - A-double-Men to the Dan's tubs and buckets!!

They are just like the old rubber fortex tubs, in that you cannot kill them, but they sure are a lot nicer to look at!

I know I have a couple that are "visiting" their 3rd decade...

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. "
    - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957) *
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

There are easily as many opinions out there as there are people and horses, but here's a few more...

LIKE:
    --Repel-X, it works as well (poorly) as the others and is cheap and the smell reminds me of being a kid! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--FLY PREDATORS! Honest to God, there are like NO flies at our barn this season; the owner puts out a new batch every 2 weeks, and they seem to be working great.

--that new Orange Bottle (some southwestern name) sunscreen/coat conditioner stuff. Got a sample pack at a charity auction and it's keeping my girls nice and clean and slick. If it keeps dark bay Kelly from turning bronze, so much the better...stay tuned.

--cheap-o brand yellow mouthwash is the BEST liniment, and usually around $2.00 a quart.

--Quic Braid

--Formaldehyde or Turpentine for tender bare feet. Turpentine is easier to use and less risky to the horse.

--Legend. Have tried EVERY oral joint supplement known to man, with ho-hum results. After 2 shots of Legend, Kelly is sound as a ROCK again (was ouchy in the hocks) and feeling like a million bucks. I figure 2 shots a year is about the same cost as all those daily supplements...

DON'T LIKE:
    --herbs 'n spices, homeopathic remedies, and "natural" products in general. NO data, NO proof, NO well-done controlled studies and NO regulation. That's enough for me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--those "leather polish" products that leave an icky film on your tack. Plain old castile or glycerine soap and Lexol conditioner for me.

--Vetrolin for MY horse---makes her break out!

http://www.deltawave.homestead.com
    http://www.seeliecourt.homestead.com
    Click here before you buy.

harmony1679 Guest

I couldn't resist jumping in on this one!

Faves...

*Vetrolin Liniment
    *Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer and Hoof Dressing
    *Hooflex
    *Sivlerado Shine Spray
    *Just about any grooming product made by Ultra Schneider's Saddlery
    *Generic $2 curry brushes
    *Farrier's Formula Life Data Labs
    *Corta Flx
    *Thrush Buster
    *Generic glycerin bars
    *Passier Lederbalsm
    *Schneider's Adjusta-Fit Blankets and SheetsSchneider's Saddlery
    *Any blanket, sheet, neck sweat, stall drapes, saddle pad, etc made by RaDon (even though they're a little $$$$)
    *Quic Braid, Silver and Color
    *Billy Royal work tack - especially the english bridle with snapsSchneider's Saddlery
    *Cashel Crusader fly masks
    *Electrogroom horse vacuum
    *State Line Tack adjustable yearling blanket (even though the velcro was a little scary for my filly at first, that blanket fit her all winter)
    *My Campbell cutback saddle

Can't Stand...
    * SHOW SHEEN (I'll save the coat of wax for my car, thank you)
    *Fly spray - period.
    *Cardboard tack made in India
    *Hay nets
    *Horseman's One Step
    *Polyester saddle seat Kentucky Jods (though I own 3 pairs! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )
    *Laced reins
    *Catalogs that don't carry any bits smaller than 5"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Patagonia riding tights ROCK! Those are the best. I would be SO happy if they would bring those back....

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Love my Crusader Fly mask (with ears) and Quiet Ride from

SmartPak

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My new Mosquito Magnet that sucks up all the skeeters (it was supposed to go to the barn but they are going to have to buy their own - this ones staying in my backyard) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I have to say I love my Ariats. I have about 7 pairs including dress boots, paddocks, clogs and their new sandals and have never had a problem with the quality. And they are sooo comfortable.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Baby pads - what is the point?

On My Good List:

Gum Spirit of Turpentine (not Venice!) for toughening soles.

Buccas blankets.

Hug fly sheets (www.blanketnet.com)
    Clicker for training (http://www.on-target-training.com)

Bit-O-Magic (Cheval)

Ariat boots - I'm in the "I like them" camp!

Hooflex

That little plastic triangle-shaped sweat scraper that's about the size of a greeting card & fits easily in a brush box ($1.89 @ KV Vet supply - www.kvvet.com)
    7% Tincture Iodine - around nail holes in hooves before hooflexing

Soft rubber curry for bathing

Sheepskin mitt for applying fly spray to ears/face.

Sprenger jointed stirrups.
    Old age is no place for sissies.
    Bette Davis

I forgot my dislikes:

Bigeloil- Makes me break out in hives! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if these have already been mentioned.

Love:

Endure Sweat Resistant Fly Spray-expensive but seems to work better than all the others I've tried.

Animed's Complete Joint Care Powder-Has everything in it to include Glucosamine, Chrondroiten, MSM, yucca, bioflavinoids and creatnine. It's the only product I've ever tried that I can honestly say has helped my TBX geldings hocks. It's kind of new and hard to find but their website is www.animedproducts.com and they will sell direct. It's reasonably priced as well.

Passier Lederbalsam-best stuff for revitalizing tack.

Wintec saddles-I don't deserve a nice leather saddle. The last one I had never got cleaned [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] and got blisters from dampness. Wintecs are so easy to care for, inexpensive, lightweight, adjustable, and durable.

Wintec webbers-These are the synthetic leathers. They are really easy to adjust either mounted or dismounted and have no buckle bump under your leg.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think...it's Friday! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I guess I'm a little late getting to this thread.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] But, I'll post a few of my items anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Oh and, Lord Helpus, you are my angel! after reading that you started using the apple cider vinegar to feed( which I hadn't heard of ) with such great results, I have started using it and already see results! Can it ccause any side effects?

LOVE..

-Absorbine Gel Liniment for shoulders, back, neck, etc.. easy to apply, works well, and smells like spearmint!
    -Vetrolin lininment. Hands down the best, in my opinion. I can't get enough of it on my horse's legs.
    -All Leather Therapy products as well.
    -Horsemen's One-Step, GREAT at restoring old leather and softening new leather.
    -Those little one side wool, the other side cactus cloth mitts.. great for applying fly spray to wimps [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    -Davis Bell boots have probably held up the longest in turnout even though I've gone through two pairs of them
    -Thornhill bridles. Mine has held up great. even with only about once a month cleaning. It is butter soft.
    -Excalibur works fine for me, I also use warm water.
    -Rounders horse treats!! My horse is obsessed with them.
    -Absorbine Flex+. I like that it has all the same ingredients as Cosequin, but costs about half as much and works just as well.

HATE..

My list is getting overboard.. but the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that just did not work out for me was the Big D fly sheet that I bought. My horse runs around a little bit in turnout, but, The mesh is so thick that he would come in soaked in sweat. I'd rather he found a way to keep the flys off himself, naked.

I do agree with alot of the things people have on their hate lists as well.

--------------------
    Britney L. Pelletier
    ~*Rush Hour*~

still thinking...
    *Britney*
    ~Rush Hour~

**Proud owner of a spunky Alydar grandson**