The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

What a great thread...
    Things I like:
    Showsheen.. super shiny white tail on my dapple/flea bitten gray

Quic Color.. really whitens his white and pops out the black!!!

Ariat boots... the only thing i hated was thier plastic zippers... but they are using metal now... they are so comfy and I have only had trouble when I negelected to clear and care for them

Orvus... goes a long way... cleans in hot or cold water and leaves their coat soft ..a lso great for cleaning sheaths..

Chick's Saddlery's Triple stitched leather halters with chin and crwon adjustments... brass hardware for I think $22.. for $24 you can get a brass name plate added!!! it isn't fancy and they do need to be oiled, but they look great and last. I can't justify spending more than $25 on a halter as they can so easily get broken.

Those cream colored thick straw fiber hard brushes... if your horse is not a muddy monster you can skip the curry brush and goes a long way in that elbow grease shine department.

I love my Schleese saddle and so does my horse!!

I love my myler bits... My horse went from going in a pelham to a No-pinch dee ring and no martigale... he loves it and is soft and happy when working!!

Anything by Buckeye feed company... I love their feeds and their horse treats are cheap and don't make a big messy in my grooming tote. Horses love them.

JOinted stirrups... helps me with my knee and back pain and still healing ankle sprain!!!

the Neck Stretcher.. bungee thingy that encourages a horse to use its backand neck... my horse has a super topline and it really helps him relax his back and use his hind end... way better than draw reins or anything else.

Dislikes
    Any saddle with a deep seat!!!
    Draw reins
    TS's .. I don't mind the color, but I can't stand the fit.. and I can't ride with a seam in my inner thigh or I get horrrible rubs.

Anyway, DMK, your post on the first page had something with DMSO/Dex and add to furacin. I've used DMSO/Furacin for "stingy" feet at a show with hard ground. How/what does the Dex do to help?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] After one month of using sunnies/flax, I'm actually stunned at the results - thanks Fairweather!

I've found the GlucoFlex powder from Jeffers to be quite effective with my geriatric ward.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Spot-on fly stuff - I have some strong suspicions about some bad side-effects it could cause.

cheap leather reins that could break at the worst possible moment causing you to fall and break your tailbone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Back to the Show Sheen statement: The guy who does my stalls is a walking beer brewery (that is just a statement to set up this scenario - I'd love to have someone else, but at the moment, he's all I have, and despite the fact that he's pickled, he's punctual, and reliable to be here - I won't let him touch the horses). Anyway, one day I walked into the barn, and a client was grooming her horse. I stopped dead in my tracks at a very distinct odor, and asked her if XXX was here (it was too early). She said no, then I asked what she'd just put on her horse - Show Sheen. Middle of the winter, barn doors closed, I'd been on the wagon for about six months - THAT "stuff" SMELLS LIKE GIN!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
    Sunnieflax Clique, PITA Clique (even if no one cares that my butt is broken)
    "poster formerly known as Silly Mommy"
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Good stuff:

+another vote for Orvus. It's great and it lasts forever

+QuicBraid. Can't live without it! (not easily, anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

+SMBs. I've used them for 5 years now, never had a problem (XC and SJ)

+Rambos. After spending $150 on blanket repairs one year (weatherbeetas and such) I finally got a Wug. What took me so long? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

+Bobby's English Tack. Excellent price for the quality. Unbelievable thickness, well-finished and not stiff. My black-padded bridle is beautiful, and I love the supple rubber reins. And he makes some of the strongest stirrup leathers I have ever seen! Bobby's English Tack... leather with ATTITUDE! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Buying adventures never to repeat:

-cheap leather tack. You know what I'm referring to

-Miller's stuff has gone downhill recently [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

hmm, there are more, but I need to think... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~AJ~
    "Got no excuses for the things that we've done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young." K.C.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~