The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Let's all give Kudos to our favorite products. Ones that really do what they say they will, and (hopefully) for a reasonable price.

But, if there is a product out there that just plain is a waste of money, let's save each other some frustration......

And I'll go first: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Fly Sprays:

Repel-X does NOT repel an darn thing. I could use a 1/2 a bottle if the extra strong mixtue and those flies flip me their middle finger (hypothetically speaking, of course) as they land on the drenched-with-Repel-X horse.

The fly spray that comes in the silver spray bottle... is good. AAARRRGGGGHHH. Something TEC? Will edit this post tomorrow when I get the name off the bottle...

Sun Screens/Anti-Fading Sprays:

I need help here. I have used several, but it is too early in the season to have come to any definitive conclusion. Anyone have pros/cons about different brands?

Anti fungal Shampoos:

The one in the black bottle with the purple label (said label has long ago fallen off my gallon bottle). Pro-Tek or something like that? Will have to find out name at tack shop.... Anyway, it does seem to keep fungus at bay.

Any other products to buy or avoid?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Let's all give Kudos to our favorite products. Ones that really do what they say they will, and (hopefully) for a reasonable price.

But, if there is a product out there that just plain is a waste of money, let's save each other some frustration......

And I'll go first: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Fly Sprays:

Repel-X does NOT repel an darn thing. I could use a 1/2 a bottle if the extra strong mixtue and those flies flip me their middle finger (hypothetically speaking, of course) as they land on the drenched-with-Repel-X horse.

The fly spray that comes in the silver spray bottle... is good. AAARRRGGGGHHH. Something TEC? Will edit this post tomorrow when I get the name off the bottle...

Sun Screens/Anti-Fading Sprays:

I need help here. I have used several, but it is too early in the season to have come to any definitive conclusion. Anyone have pros/cons about different brands?

Anti fungal Shampoos:

The one in the black bottle with the purple label (said label has long ago fallen off my gallon bottle). Pro-Tek or something like that? Will have to find out name at tack shop.... Anyway, it does seem to keep fungus at bay.

Any other products to buy or avoid?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Micro-Tek for the fungus shampoo. Two thumbs up for it and the spray.

Premier coat spray (same company as Microtek) is also quite good.

Fly spray - Flysect Super C - it's a concentrate like Repel-X, but it is much better (not that any of them really work)

Vogel boot conditioner (I leave a bottle in the tack box for chaps and paddock boots)

Leather Therapy cleaner and the conditioner

DMSO (1 pint) + 10 cc dex or predef (mix with furacin for great leg paint, wound paint).

ALUSPRAY!!!!!!!!

Grooma curries (perfect for wimpy think skinned TBs)

Sole Pack (by Hawthorne)

Animalintex Poultice (for feet)

Uptite Poultice (for legs)

Witch Hazel (under dry wraps and under poultice)

Sore No More gel and spray - great for massaging on muscle spasms - I have used it on myself, if it works half as well on horses, we have a winner!)

Dove or Ivory dishwashing soap - World's Best Shampoo after Microtek

Infusium Leave on Spray (with UV protectant) - mix 50/50 with water, spray on for detangling and conditioning.

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. "
    - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957) *
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

what is good to get rid of this?

mm
    mm

Tri Tech 14 is the stuff in the silver bottlem it's expensive but it's the only thing that works!!

~Christina~
    "I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
    *Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

Quick Silver blueing shampoo, excellent stuff.

Vetroline for getting tangles out.

Klac 87 (now it's called something else) but it's still in the orange bottle and made in Germany. It's a *natural* fly repellent which is reasonably priced and doesn't scare the bejebbers out of you if you get it on your body.

Kensington (don't think I spelled that quite right) mesh leg wraps for fly protection. The pair I have is being used for the third fly season and still in good shape.

next.......

SLW
    "It is I."

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Repel-X Works for me (as well as anything).

Corta-flx Liquid. Not the cheapest, but Cressy is doing very well at Age 22, with no stiffness, soreness or anything, except loose stifles as a result of EPM.

Leather Therapy Products. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hooflex: the old stand by still does better than these new fangled hoof cremes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Not impressed by:
    Gold Nugget Shampoos; so "low foaming" that they don't get the dirt out! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gnat Away smells nice....even to the bugs! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Absorbine Fly Sprays that "last up to 14 days". Well, I guess 5 minutes qualifies as "up to" 14 days. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

A lot of mine are ditto-ing what's already been said, but this is the stuff that I buy again and again and again.

Cornucresine for the feet

Micro-Tek for fungus. I have both the shampoo and the spray. One application of that stuff and bye bye fungus!

Hawthorne's Sole Packs

Uptite Poultice (none of that other stuff even comes CLOSE)

Cowboy Magic detangler for the tail! It just can't be beat. Smells nice, too. I also like their "green spot remover" even tho I have a bay, when he gets off the trailer he sometimes has poo/sweat spots on his butt. A little bit of that spray and it just rubs right off.

My favorite product??? DUCT TAPE! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-Amanda

Just keep kicking

Another vote for Tri-Tech 14. Doesn't smell half bad for a fly spray and has sun screen added.

Dove antibacterial/sensitive skin for daily leg washing.

Absorbine Flex + supplement. I used to use Corta-Flex but I'm really impressed with the Flex+

Equithane 'pour in' hoof pads. Total god-send for those with tender toes!

Johnson's baby bath. The best for sheath cleaning and good for shampooing faces too.

Witch hazel and Wintergreen rubbing alcohol from the Dollar Store.

Mix the above with Blue lotion liniment. Not the really dark blue stuff but the thick light blue liniment that you can get at some race track suppliers.

Straight Arrow Hoof Maker. Reasonably priced, works well and smells like apples.

Thrush buster. The purple stuff. Nothing works better.

On my shi* list:
    Freedom Spot-On. I didn't see any fewer flies on the horses, and one of mine managed to rub his face on his leg and get it in his eyes. They were puffy and weeping for over a day!! It also made him drool. Needless to say, I was a (more)neurotic mess for 48 hours.

That mane pulling thingy. Maybe it works for some, maybe I'm mane pulling thingy-challenged, maybe my horse's mane is absurdly thick (it is!) Either way, the manes always looked choppy and butchered when I tried to use it. My neighbor uses it and her horses' manes look icky, too. Too bad, since Jon Jonhates having his mane pulled. They told me when I bought him, "don't ever try to pull his mane - just cut it." Did I listen? Does a 12 year old ever listen? Nope. I thought he wouldn't mind if I just did a few tiny hairs, over several days. He punched me in the chin (to add insult to injury, this was immediately after bucking me off) for my efforts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] 14 years later, it's still his one and only flaw.

Men's Ariat paddock boots. No. I am not a man. My SO bought a pair. They were terribly uncomfortable, NOT water-resistant, let alone water-proof, and the leather disintegrated in a matter of weeks. But, I sure do love the women's.

Excalibur sheath cleaner. Am I the only person who can not master this product? It comes out of the bottles in globules. It goes into the sheath in globules. And... it falls back out of the sheath in globules. It doesn't seem to do a whole lot of breaking down dirt.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Fly Spray-agree with Clac 86 of course I am also partial to DynaShield

AntiFungal-I HATE MircoTek-didn't do diddly. LOVE the Maleseb (SP?) stuff for dogs-great on horses

linament-wintergreen alcohol

BEST wound treatment ever-you got it-Wound Balm.

Agree with Leather Therapy as well

OK-I will stop now, I am not adding a heck of a lot.

The "Hug" closure on blankets sheets etc.

I have a horse with a HUGE shoulder -- everything rubs -- Rambos, Wilsons etc. etc. The Hug doesn't. No more rub spots!!

Carr- Day & Martin Canter Coat spray, and Tea tree hoof oil! Very good stuff.

Second the Dove dish soap for shampoo, the water just beads right off.

I like my homemade fly spray- Mix Larrys concentrate fly spray with some extra citronella oil and a dash of Pine Sol.

Thank you all for supplying the names Tri-Tec, MicroTec, etc.. I had a senior moment when posting last night.

I have put my horses on apple cider vinegar for fly control, as of 2 days ago and already I seem to be noticing a difference. 1/2 cup in AM and 1/2 cup in PM. Only horse it is not working well on is George who hates the pellets in his feed and tends to leave them. And the vinegar, being a liquid, goes to the bottom of the tub, and ends up mixed with the uneaten pellets.

A product I am very interested in finding out the best brand of (great grammar...) is sunscreen. Warren is still a glossy seal brown. But he is still wearing his turn out fly sheet. Soon it will be too hot even for it and the boys will come in during the day. But he fades even while being ridden and between 6 PM and 9 PM when he goes back out for the night and before sunset. By Aug. he looks like a mouse. HELP!

I am just about to finish a bottle of QuicScreen (made by the QuikSilver people). Has anyone tried this v. other products out there? Since he has not started to fade on his neck yet, I guess it is working.......

Am I the only one who doesn't like Leather Therapy?

Favorites
    Fredelka leather conditioner
    Schreiner's Herbal Solution
    (really does get rid of summer sores and proud flesh)
    Ivory Liquid
    Any thing with tea tree oil
    The hoof oil in the white jar with the horse shoe - has the same ingredients as what I used to custom blend

Don't waste your money
    Excalibur
    Orvus
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Stuff that Works;

Plain ole gycernie soap after every ride for keeping tack looking brand new for YEARS of hard use.

Blunstone Boots - One pair has lasted OVER 2 years of 2x daily trips to the barn. My ariats last 2 months at MOST of that. I get mine thru a guy in Australia and pay LESS then the lowest grade Ariats and LOVE my Blunnies. When I see someone wearing Ariats at the barn, I KNOW they don't really work there - there just there as part of the scenery. The new style of Blunnies, Culbertson is GREAT for riding.

Bobby's English Tack. I LOVE my hunting bridle; really nice, quality leather that looks fantastic (with proper care) for years and years.

Wool Felt Saddle pads - Unless you get really lucky or cut them yourself, you have to get these from the western section - but get the 3/4 " thick shaped one. These are FANTASTIC pads. Wonderful.

Stubben Offset Stirrups for those of us with knee problems who still spend hours in the saddle. GREAT stirrups - much safer then the Herme-Springer 4 way.

Rein Aid - LOVE them. Really helped me take clearly understand how to get my hands out of the equation.

Dover Rain Sheet with mesh lining - A GREAT sheet to have around.

Polarfleece liners/coolers - great for drying out horses - really cool science fun for wicking the water/sweat off your horse in the winter.

Grazing Muzzle that attatches to the halter (NOT the all in one version - that has thinner rubber and a too large hole and the halter part falls apart.

Stuff that you shouldn't waste your time with;

Ariats - any of their paddock boots that you plan to use for more then riding. They were fine when I was boarding my horse and I didn't "really" do stuff around the barn. For day in/out, these things are worthless and fall apart WAY too soon for their very expensive price tag. I have a pair I got when they first came out, the lowest grade, that have outlasted all others purchased since. I don't know when their manufacturing standards changed, but, as of my last pair, they are not worth even half of their cost.

Cut Heal, Blu Lotion, most all those wound applications gunks - studies show (and I concur) that plan old NOTHING but clean works, or if you must put something on it, Preparation H, is the only thing that actually assists healing.

Strong Bits instead of proper training.

Every fly spray I've ever bought.

That's all I can think of now!

Helen
    (if you want the info on where I get my Blunnies for less then 100 a pair (heck, less then 75 really), email me)

In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
    ~Helen Thomson
    (S)He doth nothing but talk of his horses.
    ~William Shakespeare

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myrna:
    what is good to get rid of this?

mm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder Dust! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Let's see... besides my assortment of Dynamite fly spray and wound products...

Good:
    EquinylCM
    Hoof Shield
    arnica (with or without dmso)
    Sore No More!
    Farnam's new SunShield - seems so far to be keeping the exposed parts of my black horse black
    Infusium leave-in conditioner, 1:1 with water

Hey SLW - I want to hear more about the leg wraps. I have been VERY tempted to try some, but am afraid with turnout they will slouch too much. The ones with the plastic vein to keep them up scare me, 'cause what if that snaps?

Proud Flesh - the best medication I have ever used is called "Biozide gel". Available only from your vet. Great stuff.

I'm new here, but I have to post one I truely believe in. BL solution. It is Devils Claw and Yucca in a liquid. It seemed to work just as well as bute and gave me another 4 months riding time on my gelding with arthritis. I used the powdered products, but this one seemed the best. I don't know how it would work for other types of pain, but for the chronic pain it really did work.
    One other thing that I just stumbled on is Valentine's Hoof Oinment. My farrier brought some out and it really does wonders for my horses dry feet. It does not smell very good, but is thick . I noticied a difference in the first week I was using it.
    I have to agree with everyone else about the Repel-X, I think even more flies came to visit my horse with that.

Good stuff:

Ditto Tri Tec 14. Also Bronco, the cheap stuff, works real well for a quick spray at shows, best short-term spray - lasts couple of hours.

Vetrolin Lintiment. Awesome stuff for getting rid of saddle and girth marks. Great for a sponge off at shows, too.

Working on the sunscreen stuff, too. Rio fades to a brindle/mousie color by July. The book is still out on those. Can't remember what brand I just bought, but it has a large sunflower on the bottle.

Cowboy Magic Detangler. Best stuff around, no exceptions.

Micro-Tek anti-fungal shampoo.

Biotin-Plus Hoof supplement. You could not pay me to try something else. Excellent stuff.

Won't list the bad stuff because there are too many and ya'll have listed most.

JB - what is your internet addy for Dynamite? I used to have it, but lost it somewhere. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

****^-^****
    Don't ask me, I'm just the mom!

If Dressage is Symphony, and Eventing is Rock 'n Roll, then Hunters must be R & B

I buy whatever fly spray is on sale. They all suck.

Suave shampoo and conditioner in one for tails. I don't soap my horse very often, just quicksilver on his legs.

Reducine/turp on hooves, maybe whatever oil is around and a little any brand thrush stuff if it's been wet out.

Uptite for poultice, mud for feet

Hydrogen peroxide and a little furacin and some pretty colored spray for first aid.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...