The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Very often drop the "r" too. In my hometown of good old Mobile, Alabama, it's not uncommon to hear old families talk about having a glass of "wohta" (water) and going on and on about their "mohtha" (mother).

I guess I've watched too much "That's My Bush" because when he pauses and gets a blank look on his face, I start to laugh and cannot take him seriously. I always do my best Mystery Science 3000 impressions and say, "now, was it the lasagna or the baked zitti that I liked so well at Macaroni Grill?" or another totally off-the-wall comment.

His speech was great, I thought. I think it was perceived as being greater, simply because of the energy in the room. And I think it was a speech that America really needed to hear. I was actually a little worried that a hi-jacked airplane, or strategically-placed bomb, could've wiped out the leaders of our government in one fell swoop. The reign of terror seems to be taking over, despite the lack of further terrorist acts. I just read that film studios in Hollywood are on high alert by the FBI as possible terrorist targets in a retaliation against any US military strikes against Afghanistan. I hate having to look over my shoulder now. We all were robbed of innocence on September 11.

Oh, I did love Bush's sentiments regarding Muslims and I thought he was EXCELLENT in delivering that vein of the message. I could tell he firmly and whole-heartedly respects traditional Muslims and I am happy that he made the distinction between the radical Islamic religion the terrorists practice. Though it took me twice to register he was calling it a "fringe" or Islam and I could've sworn he said, "French."

And, finally, Tony Blair has always given me fever. He is very much a hottie.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

<<New Yawk and Lawn-Guy-Lind>>

LOL Erin! I felt much the same way, even though I was only 45 min from home at SUNY Stony Brook--you see, speech patterns on the East End of Long Island for the most part have much more in common with those of New England than with those of our up-Island and City neighbors --we got the "terra" thing right away!

Great speech, indeed, though I share Brilyntrip's trepidation about exactly what we are now in for--the peace protests are already gearing up, in all likelihood envisioning wars of the past, which this one of the future promises to resemble not at all. The only thing missing from the mandate is a parallel all-out attack on the root causes of the discontent that leads to such outrageously depraved behaviors. Until these are addressed, the task we have now set course on will not be completed, and in fact will always need to be perpetuated...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O'Connor:
    The only thing missing from the mandate is a parallel all-out attack on the root causes of the discontent that leads to such outrageously depraved behaviors. Until these are addressed, the task we have now set course on will not be completed, and in fact will always need to be perpetuated...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my concern to (had that vision of the hydra in my head), but a coworker saw a very recent interview with Colin Powell, who has been stressing equal parts military, social, political and economic approaches to the problem, so I feel a lot better about that aspect...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

...and say I thought it was a very empowering speech. I think the energy in the room definitely helped but it was powerful and he did well.
    To be honest, I was not very fond of Bush previous to the attack but I must say, I think he truly has handled himself well...and after his speech last night,I definitely am in support of him!

Also, just to clarify (lol) not all people from New England drop their r's and talk like Kennedy's. I don't ...I may have a hint of an accent but I definitely NEVER say claaam chow-daa! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chief2:
    Also, please remember that for the first 22+ years of GW's life he was brought up and educated solidly in New England, so there's bound to be a dropping of the r now and then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe this is why I find his accent disconcerting sometimes... it's not really Texan, not really New England. "Y'all go on and pahk the cah now, pardner." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, before someone jumps on me again, let me reiterate that I really liked the speech. This speech and the one at the National Cathedral a week ago were really some of the best speaking he's done.

My only lingering worry is that, in our rush to be strong and make it clear that these attacks were totally unacceptable, we'll become too devoted to the idea of our own attacks. As others have mentioned, I'm worried that we'll be plunging into an endless cycle of retaliation.

I just hope that all options and all avenues are explored, and that we don't just try to bomb the heck out of them and hope that solves the problem. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Methinks the can of whoopa$$ will mostly hurt the innocent. I bet 70% of the Afghanistan population has no clue bout what is going on.

I'll bet that NONE of the Afghani people has a clue what's going on, because 1) the Taliban controls the media, 2) so many of them can't read, and/or aren't allowed to even learn to read, 3) they're too busy looking for something to eat, and 4) a significant number of them are standing on the border while their OWN military beats them back into the country with sticks!

That said, I'm NY Democrat from a long line of Arkansass Democrats (Go, Razorbacks) and I was impressed with Dubya's speech (As in "Dub-yuh" not "Double-you"). He's no Anne Richards, but he's more coherent than his Daddy.

PS to Robbie: Tony Blair? Tony Blair? All yours, darlin'; those public-school boys can be a little perverse. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

I did find an interesting article concerning the American public not being too thrilled about the Canadian response during a televised CBC town hall meeting the other day. You can read it here:

http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/.../20/town010920

I doubt that would be enough reason for them to be excluded from the speech, but hey. I know that the PM is meeting with Bush on Monday to discuss what Canada can do, so it was more than likely a slip than anything else.

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." ~Elsa Maxwell
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I would like Tony Blair, but as a Hunt Supporter I cannot even bear to look at him on Television.

I have too many good friends who depend on making their livings in the British Hunting and Country Sports Fields to trust Mr Blair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

George W. Bush did indeed go to Yale, as did his father, and both were members of Skull & Bones, the powerful secret society based there.

Magnolia, I think we can very safely say that the speech was written for him and he did not wing it. Pres. Bush has a very different speech pattern when speaking extemporaneously than when reading prepared statements -- his normal speech pattern is filled with pauses and use of "uh" as a filler while he thinks of what he wants to say next. (Something which drives me crazy because I was taught long ago to be aware of and consciously avoid the use of "er" and "uh" and "um" and other such non-word sounds as fillers for pauses. But that's my own pet peeve. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

I thought it was an excellent speech, very well written and delivered surprisingly well. It did hit the right notes and was what much of the country needed to hear.

And Robby, I agree with you on Tony Blair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for the man's voice, I confess I had the same problem with George Morris for years when he was schooling someone within earshot - I had to leave the immediate area. I'm over it now, but people humming and snapping gum will still drive me over the edge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL DMK! Is this sort of like the guy a few years back who couldn't listen to Mary Hart of Entertainment Tonight without having an epileptic seizure? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

On a serious note, I was truly impressed by the speech and found the following section particularly powerful:

"We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies."

I, for one, certainly hope so.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I mean really this country is loaded with people who have accents and who are courageous enough to learn our language to communicate with us.

Does it really matter in the big scheme of things? Every President has had speech writers, people picked on Ronald Reagen because his speeches were so perfect because he was an actor, now you don't have a packaged salesman but a down to earth human like Harry Truman and you still pick..pick..pick. Don't complain if all you get are managed and packaged candidates who don't resemble their advertising if sound bites and presentation is more important than ideas and proposals. I'm surprised you haaven't found anything wrong with his suit, or his tie or maybe even the way he walks. OH! wasn't there a hair out of place (so distracting).

This was not a rabble rousing speech from a cheerleader, this was a statement of policy by the President of the United States of America. If you agree with the policy then leave it alone and if you don't then disagree with the policy and say why and what you prefer as a way to solve the problem of our dead and missing due to an attack in our home. No risk no gain!

As to Canada my guess is that Canada is considered a member of the family. I don't think they felt that since you were a neighbor and a part of our continent that was an understood. The thank-you went across the pond to other members of the world. Please don't take it personally just as we in New Jersey and those from Connecticut who were all involved with the WTC did not feel offended because New York got all the attention.

They also did not emphasize the remarkable job done because 25,000 people were evacuated and only 6,000 were victims. There were over a 1000 that were nationals from other countries and they suffered losses too, they were not itemized. If he ahd then you'd all be complaining because the speech was long and boring.

[This message was edited by Snowbird on Sep. 21, 2001 at 12:53 PM.]

Canter...I'm not surprised in the least that Canada wasn't mentioned. Yes, ordinary people stepped up to the plate, donated blood, took people in who were stranded etc., however, the government hasn't committed to anything yet...not even to working with America to strengthen our borders. Infact, when he goes down to the States next week (I can't believe he wasn't down there in the first couple of days since NYC is only an hour away) he has already said that he can't visit NYC because he has a prior committment which is a fundraising dinner. This guy is a liability and make no mistake, there wasn't an ommission last night. We were deliberatly left out of his speech to send us a message. I think he has totally mismanaged this entire situation.

That's my two cents (which in Cdn. $ is not much).

I hope you weren't referring to my post. I think President Bush is doing an outstanding job...it's our Prime Minister that I think is doing less than a stellar job. However, I do agree that we need to put things into perspective. I personally don't care that we weren't mentioned...all I care about is protecting our way of life and getting Bin Laden and his cronies.

I agree! Chretien should have gone to NY last week [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] There is no excuse. What a weenie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Tony Blair Robby and Portia?? TONY BLAIR?? The man looks like a weasel [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I agree too about not supporting him much because of his very strong anti-countryside opinions. Although he is a very good speaker.

I agree with all you guys about Dubya's accent! I don't always understand him! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Heck, up until today I never even knew what you guys meant when you were talking about "Dubya" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    You Strike Me Still

The whole nice thing bout America is that we can and should question our leaders, no matter how unpopular. Many of the people on this BB who choose to make fun of Bush's speech patterns have indeed offered alternate solutions to bombing a nation which already looks like a firing range.
    I do not mock Bush, I just wish that at some point he would consider an alternate to war, at least entertain this notion of non-violence. Feed these starving people, make them strong enough to turn on their captors. Get them on our side.
    We always seek to end these conflicts violently (of late, we do a little violence and stop....). Why not bomb them with bread, ideals of liberty and kindness? Help them to support their own revolution. If we bomb them now, and for some reason can not stomach finishing the job (Vietnam anyone?), we will assure that these people will never escape the starvation, and cruelty from their "leaders".
    Snowbird, I know you always want us to speak out, but frankly, many people are frightening me right now. People I remember as rational tell me I'm as bad as the terrorists for not wanting to blow up Afghanistan.
    This whole thing saddens me. I've said what I stand for. I hope to GOD the only blood shed in this are the evil ones who bombed our nation, and the evil rulers of Afghanistan who think so little of women that they kill them for no reason. I hope not one US soldier dies, and I hope not one innocent Afghani bystander dies. If that makes me un-american than so be it.
    We have been on this earth for thousands of years. God gave us this wonderful place, and created us in his image. It is time we learn how to deal with our issues by not killing one another, and we, the USA must take the lead and set that example.

Ride it Like You Stole It...
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

jumphigh and snowbird... just think of us as true believers in the constitution. You know... the one that protects free speech? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And I do not believe anyone on this thread has called the man a moron, stupid, incompetant or any other derogatory name. No one, to my knowledge has insulted the speech, the principles behind the speech, the man, his dress, his shoes or his speechwriter.

Please don't look for things that are not there.

And as John Stewart said last night " 'Sublimbinal' is not a catch phrase around here anymore... not for a long while... but I hope it is one day, because then we will know we have weathered the storm."
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... we're all ruining the country by daring to keep our eyes wide open and notice that THE MAN DOES HAVE AN ACCENT. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Blasphemy! We're pointing out that the emperor has no clothes!

No one said he should not be president because of it. No one said it implied he was doing a bad job. And I'm getting a little tired of people here jumping all over everyone else for expressing their opinions, which may or may not be in line with yours or with the President's.

I would not have voted for Bush (couldn't vote at all, due to an absentee ballot mixup [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) and I am vehemently opposed to many of his policies. However, I have been pleasantly surprised with his ability to step up to the plate in the last 10 days, and I look forward to seeing how his plans bear out.

I have not seen one single person here say they do not support Bush right now. I do see some thoughtful questioning of what the country should do next, but I would say this board is a pretty good representation of Mr. Bush's whopping approval rating right now.

Now can we stop ripping people new ones for daring to disagree? It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, folks...

By the way, not only do I think the President has an accent... I also think his ears kind of stick out funny and he reminds me of Howdy Doody. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] And yet, lo and behold, I am still standing right here and saying I think he made a good speech. My goodness! How does that happen? Could it be I am thinking critically for myself? Nah... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ok, I'm totally confused here, where exactly and when exactly has Bush or anyone in his cabinet mentioned that we are going to bomb Afghanistan? Please enlighten me as I seemed to have missed this important point along the way. Yet many of you are against what you are calling "war" and attacking Afghanistan. Again I ask you, where and when did this information come to light??

All I've been hearing is for requests that Afghanistan cooperate with turning over Bin Laden. We've asked not invaded or launched an assault. They have said no, so now what should we do. Just let it slide. We did the nice nice thing, well nice nice is over now. Choke up Bin Laden or suffer the consequences. Bush has never mentioned just what those consequences would be.

Why are you assuming that this is what they have in mind? Or do you know something that I don't?

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Regarding the article Kachoo posted... um, am I missing something here, or are the angry letters in response to the fact that the Canadians at this meeting said the US shouldn't bomb anyone without strong evidence? Uh, now why would that be a BAD thing?

See, this is what's starting to worry me. Everyone is so gung-ho that we hurry up and bomb someone, and you're perceived as being unpatriotic or unsupportive if you're saying, "Hey, wait a second... are we sure this is what we want to do?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brookes:
    Bush has never mentioned just what those consequences would be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there are those aircraft carriers headed to the Middle East...