The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Don't worry about the accent thing, Erin. As a Native Texan who has been misplaced in Michigan for 13 long, cold years, I sound like I'm from Ohio! My hubby says he'll get me talking like a michigander within the next 2 years! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Even tho' I'm way up here, I had no problem understanding Gee-Dubya. Very loud and clear to me. I just hope the "terra-ists" are smart enough to get the message.

We're a-comin'. Make no mistake about it.

Member - Baby Greenie Support Group, HorseShowMom Clique, and Midwest Clique

Love it, DMC!!

Nomatter how you say it, we're a comin'!!

God guide our leaders and bless America!

Got goosebumps reading it (no TV here). Reading it also let me fantasize that Harrison Ford was giving the speech (ala Tom Clancy's character Jack Ryan). **Sigh**

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I went out to give Elliot a brushing and do his carrot exercises.
    So I missed it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    Hope to catch it on rerun sometime.

So, after watching the speech I have just a few words to say:

"Saddle up, we ride at dawn!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

My landlords took me out to an Irish pub last night, and when I got home I searched and searched for a radio station that carried it live - FINALLY got an old AM Station [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] out of Scotland (BBC) with some excellent comentators. Sound left a lot to be desired, but I heard most of it!

Wonderful speech (I did notice the accent, but given I can only understand half what my Irish friends say, it was a pleasure!) And it got surprisingly GREAT reviews from the very, very liberal BBC - I didn't sit up for too much analysis, as it started at 2 in the morning, and I need to close my eyes!

God bless the USA - and good going, President Bush!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I agree with you he is completely illiterate but ....the speech was good rousing etc .Thats what these speeches are supposed to be !My mom and I were talking about him two days ago.. I said I do not know what he was doing at Harvard but studying the English language was not it .My stepdad who knows former Pres. Bush said "he was partying girls !"
    Yes but you have to admit it was a rousing speech and in the long run we all respond to someone who does not "put on airs right?"
    Here's my question ....
    After the fervor dies down from this speech Exactly how are we all of us from every part of the world going to succeed ?I see this "war" as being almost impossible to win.Anyone who helps us can look forward to attacks on their homeland.That results in public outcry etc etc .All of this gives the "TERRAISTS"what they want.I have to admitthat the reality of this mess makes me depressed.
    Brilyntrip

But why on earth would the man thank everyone in the world except the Canadians?

Not only are we forced to watch his televised speeches, but Canada has lent military support, donated blood, sent doctors, ME's and rescue workers to NYC amongst many other things.

Yes his speech was good. But frankly I'm a bit insulted by this.

BTW - Terra is my dogs name. Everytime Dubya said the word, my dog looked at the television. Good thing he never said the word "park" in the same sentence.

It was a good speech, and it had to be a good speech. Does anyone know who wrote it? Or did he wing it? He sounded much more composed this time.
    Still gotta disagree with the warrin' though... Methinks the can of whoopa$$ will mostly hurt the innocent. I bet 70% of the Afghanistan population has no clue bout what is going on. Ouch, terraism, no matter how ya say it is one tough enemy to fight. They say Bin Laden has people in over 50 countries including the good ol' USA...

Ride it Like You Stole It...
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

I noticed that Canada was not mentioned last night. I really do think that it was just an oversight, I can't think of any reason that your Nation would be deliberately overlooked.

Anyway, as an individual citizen of the United States of America, let me extend my apologies and my sincere gratitude that Canada and the US have always stood side by side, in the face of any adversity. Living as close to the border as I do, I really appreciate the fact that we have a strong and stalwart friend to our north.
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brilyntrip:
    I agree with you he is completely illiterate but .... I said I do not know what he was doing at Harvard but studying the English language was not it . [QUOTE]

I'm not so sure that Erin and DMK are saying that our esteemed President is illiterate. It seemed to me that they were just commenting on his accent. Oh and if he were completely illiterate, he couldn't have read the teleprompter. But I digress.

Can we, for once, not criticize the man and instead applaud his efforts? I've been lurking on many of these threads for the past week and you're all starting to get on my nerves with your complaining about the intelligence of our President. Now is NOT THE TIME to tell me that you think he's not up to the job. The future will show us that. It is the time, however, to unite behind our President, not divide the country further. For now, I'd like to feel safe in my office that is 2 blocks from the White House. I'd also like to mourn the loss of one of my firm's partners, who had the bad luck to be on the flight that hit the Pentagon.

Maybe he isn't the brightest light bulb in Washington, but he is our President and he deserves our support and respect, accent aside.

Canter- I had not noticed that Canada was "left out" until I read your post. It has to have been an oversight, geesh, on the day of the attack Canada was instrumental in helping us get planes out of American air space.

I bet GWB is just jealous because you all have the fabulous mounted troopers up there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In conclusion, I second Lousie's sentiments!

SLW

Canter, I'll bet it's like when someone is accepting their Oscar, and is trying so hard not to forget anyone that they overlook the REALLY IMPORTANT people... like Mom, the S/O, etc.

So look at it this way... Canada is SO important that it almost goes without saying that y'all are the US's best buddy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dubya did emphasize the friendship between USA and Great Britain. However, please note that Great Britain fought unsuccessfully for years in Afghanistan. The country is mountainous desert, think southern Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona mountains. It is extremely difficult to maneuver on foot, and has many hiding places for those on the ground to evade air strikes. Bombing the populated areas will result in heavy civilian casualties, chasing shadows through the mountains will result in the loss of many US soldiers.

F44 - Once a nerd, always a nerd.

What are the other options, Flash?

Every day at lunch, my colleagues discuss how a land war is going to be tough. But an air strike will kill many innocents. I always want to say "well, which is the lesser of two evils. . . or is there a third option?"

I, however, am to ashamed of my ignorance to ask THEM that, so I will ask you.

Flash, which is the lesser of two evils or do you see a third way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have!!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlyingCircus:

I'm not so sure that Erin and DMK are saying that our esteemed President is illiterate. It seemed to me that they were just commenting on his accent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you FlyingCircus... I was just about to reiterate what Erin said - Did anyone READ what we wrote??? You did though, and that took the wind right out of my sails [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Everyone else, as for what I said, it is, has been, and shall be, his VOICE that I cannot listen to. Note that VOICE is somewhat a different concept than WORDS (sentences, paragraphs, phrases, concepts, speeches and other various forms of assembling words). I did watch 2 hours of political commentary afterwords and read the speech, and it was indeed a good speech.

As for the man's voice, I confess I had the same problem with George Morris for years when he was schooling someone within earshot - I had to leave the immediate area. I'm over it now, but people humming and snapping gum will still drive me over the edge.

And spaz00, don't worry. I'm a native Texan, my family is all in Texas, and have been there for quite some time (think generations). Texas accents thrive aplenty in my relatives. Whatever it is about Dubya's voice that my spine takes offense to isn't about a Texas accent [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Brilyn, I think dubya went to Yale... I know his father did. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat who thought Bush gave an excellent speach last night.

Seoul Korea and Victoria British Columbia Canada

Speaking of accents . . .

I'm not really sure how many American women south of Mason - Dixon are aware of this but we Canadian males are often absolutely enchanted by American Girl southern accents . . .

A few years ago at the SM Masters, I was talking to this girl from Virginia . . . (she was with one of the breed associations or possibly a breed farm, I' really not sure, I can't remember . . .)

Anyway, she was really good looking, but when I heard her speak, I just melted on the spot . . .
    I must have stood there for half an hour or so, encouraging her to talk just so I could listen in totally enchanted silence.

Beautiful Virginia girls with southern accents - America's secret weapon when negotiating with intransigent Canadian males (U.S. State Department take note . . .) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David G./Seoul

in the group is a gentleman named Michael Gersten. I agree, it was a good, solid speech. Also, please remember that for the first 22+ years of GW's life he was brought up and educated solidly in New England, so there's bound to be a dropping of the r now and then. If you listen carefully to him when he gets mad, the Texas drawl drops clear away, and the New England speech patterns take over. And don't be insulted, dear Canada. We're thrilled you are with us! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I may a blonde girl from southern (well, central, originally) Virginia, but I can read, write AND ride! Y'all be careful - we only seem sweet, silly & innocent! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

David G. - Thank you for realizing how powerful we southern girls really can be!