The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Awhile back I had a pile of articles for the useful purposes of manure. With those are the details, I know it was a small town in the midwest and they provided the generators that used the cow manure. There also was a man who said he had altered an engine so that he could run a car on horse manure. There also was a company in California that used manure to remove paint toxins from the ground. And, in Japan they compress the manure and use it in blocks to insulate pipes. The neanderthal used it as fuel to start fires.

Did you know that all that grease that melts out of your hamburgers is collected and actually sells on the commodities market as gease. Surely, with the collective intelligence of horse people we can develop a process for a useful purpose of our end-product with this information.

I know that for purposes of farmland asessment if your farm product is manure you have an easy way to claim more acreage. If our manure was spread in the deserts we could turn them green again. YET, in this brilliant age of technology manure is carefully sealed in plastic bags and dumped in the land fill at our expense.

The peat bogs are almost gone and our manure can be processed to equal the values of peat moss, yet we just throw it away or spend money to compost it for no profit at all.

My other pet concern is alternate bedding. OK! there's straw but the rest of us use shavings. Now that the housing starts are down there is not very much lumber being cut and that means wood shavings prices will go up-and-up-and-up. So what are the options? If lumber stops being used for construction what will we do?

So we can lick the terrorists by not buying their oil, who's working on the alternate uses of natural products? Pumping it out of the ground is not the only solution, we could use alternate farm products as fuel instead of polluting with oil or even toxic batteries.

Where are all the bleeding heart liberals and tree huggers now when you need them? Every 3rd world country has lots of manure from their animals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Where are all the bleeding heart liberals and tree huggers now when you need them? Every 3rd world country has lots of manure from their animals.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snowbird,
    We try. We are told solar and wind energy will never work, that supplementing soil with manure isn't necessary with agri-chemicals and genetic engineering, people laugh at eco cars - we ask congress to raise the MPG on vehicles, and they back down because Detroit whines about the $$$$ it will cost. They cut grants to researchers studying solar power...

The good thing is is that we tree huggers are a persistant lot ~ but we get laughed at a lot. We get ignored. We have a real hard time competing with big oil and energy companies and "agribusiness". The funny thing is that when we get regular people on our side, we usually win. So if you want these good things, help out Sierra Club or other groups - sign their petitions, get on mailing lists etc. You needn't give money or support all of their causes. Also, you want the value of your manure to go up? Support organic farmers. Pay the extra $$$ for their fruits and veggies born of manure instead of chemicals.

Whoa, this is now really off-topic!

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

We tried to build a windmill here on the mountain where I'm sure there is enough wind to provide electricity for all of Morris County. I could not find an engineer who could tell me exactly what kind of a windmill I needed, and how much electricity it would produce if the wind was -- miles per hour. So we dumped the idea since it would cost about $25,000.

What I find a pity is that in the "olden" days every little backwater farmer seemed to know exactly what to do and how to build a windmill.

I am on your side, I favor the new cartridge system for the cars which I heard about 25 years ago that let you fill the tank with water and have oxygen as the exhaust fume.

I realize that would put a lot of service stations out of business but like the rest of us I am also sure they can learn a new trade besides pumping gasoline. I think it is really odd that we make out of corn I think a special additive to keep dowm emissions and we don't just adapt the cars to use that corn fuel completely.

I am like you, very opposed to special interests that control associations and keep them in the dark ages. I do believe there are no problems we can't solve if we are turned lose to get it done.

This article is super funny, but sad in a way because it is so darn true!
    Onion

Sorry but I thought you'd think it was poetic justice!

Thought you would enjoy
    To Mr. Al Gore

Dear Al,

More votes found. You won. When do you want to take over?

Sincerely,

George W. Bush