The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about those round bale hay nets

I am considering getting two to reduce waste, but need to know how big the holes are -- are they like the cheap "big hole" hay nets or are they like the "small hole" hay nets?

I have an OTTB who I do NOT want to limit intake on AT ALL, so big holes would be ok, but if they are small or limiting at all, I don't want to do that.

Thanks!

Also, can you put them on without lifting the bale, like just put it over top and just cinch it around the bottom?

Come out, come out, I KNOW people use them!

Can you link one?
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

That would have been a good idea, wouldn't it? Sigh. My brain.

Like these: http://www.cinchchix.com/

Those holes look rather small. But I have never seen one in person.

The holes are small. My two fatties have no trouble getting the hay out, but very little hay goes to waste. I've been using one for nearly two years now, and it's as good as new.

They're great at limiting waste. They're a pain in the butt to put on at times. I have 5 of them (I made them myself), and am currently using zero... we needed to stretch out our hay a bit this season because we were short a few dozen bales. There's a time cost to put them on (5-10 minutes per depending on how big the bale really is... I sized for a 4x5 and if the bale is 4.5x5, I'm working hard to get it netted), and a fuel cost if you're idling your tractor while you're doing it (that 4.5 can take 15 minutes to get the net around it)

Also, if your horses are shod, you MUST USE a ring.... one that goes all the way to the ground all around. No feet. I've collected bale nets sucked out from under the footed rings by creative and ingenious teeth...

Last: If the choice is between sparse green grass and a netted bale? The horse goes for the easy meal. Nets only seem to work out when there's nothing else to eat.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I am getting one of these for next winter! I hvae the hanging small hole hay nets from Chicks adn those things work great! My gelding quickly figured out that he can get mouthfuls from the net, even with small holes. My mare wasn't impressed at first, but figured out that she would go hungry if she didn't at least try to get hay from them. She too quickly figured out how to eat just fine!

We have a bale spear on our tractor, so I am thinking the large net will be fairly easy to get on...spear the bale, pull on net, set down, remove spear, tie net, pick back up and dump into round bale ring.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

They are a small hole net.

You might want to try one anyway. I have found my fussy mare eats better out of a small hole hay net.

If they were a large hole hay net they would be dangerous to use at ground level. Easy to get a hoof stuck in.

Easy to put on. Open the net all the way, put it over the round bale so it is totally covered. Roll the round bale (about quarter turn) so the opening is now facing you. Pull it closed, ta-da, a covered round bale.

We use Bale Buddies on round bales and Cinch Chix on square bales. IME, the Cinch Chix just slows them down, doesn't limit....I like them having something to do all the time they are in the stall so I love Cinch Chix.

Thanks for the input, some things I didn't think about!

We use the Bale Buddies and LOVE them! They reduced the waste by close to 95%
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

I use the CinchChix round bale net. I hay year round so it stays in the weather 24/7. It last about 6 to 8 months before it becomes unusable. Before the net, I was getting about 6 days to a round bale. With the net, a round bale last about 11 days.
    My horses were over weight so the added benefit of slowing their hay consumption was a more fit horse.