The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I have used two animal communicators. One over the phone and one in person. Some of what each said was correct and some of the information incorrect.

One of the most amazing stories was when the communicator on the phone mentioned the heavy fog that made it difficult to see the cross country fences at my last event with one horse. It was not fog but heavy smoke from a fire near the horse trial. I never mentioned where I was or where my last event was nor when it was. The smoke had only blown in that one day in that location. Pretty specific for just a guess!

The other was when Free had the same horse read after she bought him. When I had a trainer come ride him right before I sold him, the trainer backed up the horse and the horse stepped in a hole and fell over. The trainer made him stay on the ground for a few minutes to think about what happened. Animal Communicator said the horse did not want to go backwards anymore. Free did not know the story until she mentioned it to me so there was no way that animal communicator could have gotten that through body launguage or verbal clues.

I use it for entertainment. The power of suggestion can be a powerful tool when training horses. So, if the communicator says the horse likes a softer touch and you believe it. Then, your horse starts to be softer. It was well worth the money in my opinion.

What was going on between you and your horses that prompted you to make the first call?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:

He did correctly assess that my balance is off to the left quite badly .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most horses turn left better than they turn right (same as humans ice skating). Even if it happens to be true in your case, this one will fool a lot of people who have horses that dont turn right very well.

Hmm, since my problem is that my balance is too forawrd on the right, guess I must be one of those wild guesses that paid off. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, the first time I did it was becasue a friend of mine was setting up a clinic at her farm, and called and asked if I was interested. It was $50 a horse, and I was interested to see what it was like. I was very blown away and impressed with both reads, and definately feel like the feedback/information I got back had helped fix/improve some minor issues.

The second time had to do with a dramatic behavior change in one of my horses that couldn't be explained/dealt with with help from my trainer or the regular vet (whose response to me wanting him to vet the horse based on a behavior change said, "Is he lame?" "no" "then what's the problem). The communicator told me that the horse said he was hurting, and where he said he was hurting (without me telling him I was having a behavior problem--this was the first thing out of the horse's mouth). I took the horse to a local big name vet clinic, and without knowing anything about me speaking to the communicator, they diagnosed every single problem that the communicator had told me about.

ok but 'too forward on the right' isnt the opposite of 'off to the left'.

I think you could argue that 'too forward on the right' is a variation of the "most horses turn left better" technique, no?

I don't think that all animal communicators are frauds - meaning that they intentionally deceive their customers.

(Yes, the one on Animal Planet is horrible.)

However, I do think that what the best ones do is very good intuition and cold reading.

This is not to say that their services aren't valuable - just maybe not what you think you are buying. I think of it as taking information you have in your head, and feeding it back to you with a different focus, telling you things about your horse that you already know but haven't really formalized in your brain yet. We pay our trainers big bucks for this service, but we don't ascribe special powers to it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There is a magician, James Randi (known as "The Amazing Randi"), who has put up a $1 million prize for anyone who can accurately prove any sort of paranormal phenomena, including telepathy. It has been available for many years, and no one has been able to win it. In some cases, the communicator is found to use cold reading techniques; in other cases, he's found to use outright fraud - getting information from other sources before the conversation starts. Some are simply inexplicably unable to perform in the testing situation. And there are many who refuse to participate once they understand the conditions of the testing.

There is a con that goes like this: You take any event that has only two possible outcomes, like a football game. (I think it's been done with stocks, too.) You call 32 people. You tell 16 people team A will win. You tell the other 16 that team B will win. You don't ask for any money, you just tell them the winner.

Team B wins. You call the Team B group and give them another prediction, again predicting a different outcome to each half of the group. (You don't call the people who you told A would win.)

Repeat, until you've predicted 5 winners in a row for _one person_. (He doesn't know that you blew it for 31 others.) NOW, you call him, and ask him to in some way pay you a lot of money for your 6th prediction. He thinks he'd be crazy not to - clearly you're able to predict the future! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

TLE, once I knew you evented I could guess that you tended to ride too far forward without ever seeing you ride. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by poltroon on Aug. 19, 2002 at 07:39 PM.]
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

One more:

One of my favorite experiments involves giving each person in a classroom an individual horoscope in an envelope.

Everyone reads his paper, and then the group is asked (by a show of hands) if they felt the horoscope accurately described their personality.

90% or so raise their hands yes.

It is then revealed that everyone was given an identical horoscope.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TLE, once I knew you evented I could guess that you tended to ride too far forward without ever seeing you ride. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it wasn't until the end of the session (towards the end when I started asking specific questions) that she knew what I did. I never said I evented, did dressage, or anything. She just said that when I lean too far forward is when Char says she hollows and rushes... and that she was trying to make me look good because she knew I thought my instructor was cute and that if I keep doing it he's going to yell at me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

It must be so easy to go through life looking down on everything you don't understand.
    I too was sceptical - (but would never look down on anyone who did believe it!) until I called an animal communicator. I have spoken to two, both already mentioned.
    I found their insights moving, funny, charming, and incredibly 'spot on'. As others have said, I was careful not to give too much information, but the things the one communicator in particular said were specific and amazing.
    For those who are so hostile, I wonder what your true problem is? fear of what you don't understand?
    #ThankYouHillary

I believe many people fear what they don't understand. But I also admit I hate to look foolish (FWIW I don't like to watch anyone ELSE being made to look stupid, either, like those poor idiots on AP's Pet Pyschic).

Those who believe WANT to believe, and sometimes wanting to believe leads to believing you can and then hey presto! you can (communicate w/pets, jump a 4' course, pass an exam -whatever).

Of course, skeptics never get good readings from communicators. The communicators say they're 'blocked' and the skeptics say, "Told ya so!"

When using an AC beware the open ended question or statement that ends in an upward tone,ie.: "There's someone your horse doesn't like?" Before you can remind yourself NOT to say, There is? you immediately remember 'Billy' the barnworker who you told off for slapping your horse once and you say excitedly, "YES!" They say something like, "A woman, dark hair..." and you break in with, "NO he has blond hair." Now you've told her it's a blonde MAN and all their future 'communications' from your horse will be about a blond man. Amazing how your horse can be soooo specific... right after you've given the person more information (albeit unintentional). When asked a question by a human psychic or AC always answer with another question. ("you will attend a large ceremony." "Really? Why will I do that??" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The better ones make statements with more detail right from the start.

As much as I believe now, I was VERY skeptical the first time someone I knew used an AC. The new wife wanted to know if the ancient doxie was ready/wanted to die. The husband wanted to know why his old QH horse of 8 years (a true blue packer) disliked the new flashy TB.

Anyone who didn't own this dog would have said euthanasia was long overdue, the dog had no quality of life and was alive only because the wife couldn't bear to make the decision. Any longtime horse owner would've said that the old QH was jealous since the man spend all his time w/ the new TB.

Oddly enough, the AC said the same thing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Right Said Fred!!!

My husband was just as skeptical as some on this thread when he heard about the over the phone consultations. Now, he usually has a few questions of his own re: our dogs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Count me in the skeptic corner. Maybe the ACs are right when they say I'm "blocking" as Kryswyn put it. But none of it has ever worked for me. That being said, provided people don't disregard their vet or farriers advice based solely on what a communicator says, I don't think they do much harm.

I can't speak to the experiences of people on this board because, as AAjumper put it, I wasn't there and can't begin to second guess the situation. I do know of a few friends who have gone to ACs for their dogs. My instinct tells me that they sort of knew what the AC was telling them before the AC made the statement. And I suspect (don't have proof) that they did give out subtle clues. I think the AC brought up things my friends didn't want to admit even to themselves and were "blocking" it from themselves. (One had a dog that was very aggressive but she didn't want to admit it, the other had a dog that was in the end stages of a fatal illness and, again, she didn't want to admit it.)

But that's just me. Since I am a skeptic, it would probably never work for me as Kryswyn says. I will say it brought my friends comfort to get everything out in the open. For that alone, it was worth it for them. I would never use one, but I guess (since I am a skeptic) the ACs would even admit that it wouldn't work for me.

I hope nobody has felt any hostility from me here. None is intended.

I'm not entirely a disbeliever. I do think, though, that the ones in this business with real abilities - if they exist - are doing it the hard way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexBG:
    What was going on between you and your horses that prompted you to make the first call?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My call was prompted by the fact that my horse was new to me this year, and I was just curious. My mare has a very strong personality, so I knew if the AC was at all close, it would be highly entertaining. The AC was dead-on, and it was in fact highly entertaining.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    There is a con that goes like this: You take any event that has only two possible outcomes, like a football game. (I think it's been done with stocks, too.) You call 32 people. You tell 16 people team A will win. You tell the other 16 that team B will win. You don't ask for any money, you just tell them the winner.

Team B wins. You call the Team B group and give them another prediction, again predicting a different outcome to each half of the group. (You don't call the people who you told A would win.)

Repeat, until you've predicted 5 winners in a row for _one person_. (He doesn't know that you blew it for 31 others.) NOW, you call him, and ask him to in some way pay you a lot of money for your 6th prediction. He thinks he'd be crazy not to - clearly you're able to predict the future! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by poltroon on Aug. 19, 2002 at 07:39 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A much simpler variation of this con game was used by racetrack hustlers in the old days - selling different tip sheets with multiple outcomes predicted and telling the buyer to 'pay me on the way out if I win you some $'.

It must have worked at least well enough for every racing commision to decide it should be outlawed, because it's illegal now.

Poltroon and Special Delivery:

I've heard of that "game" but used by con men with the stock market. They'd send out hundreds of "sample" letters. Half would say the market would go one way, half would say it would go the other way. They kept sending new letters to those that had the correct "prediction" and, after receiving several letters (all of which turned out to be correct since the recipients of the incorrect letters were culled from the list), the recipients were invited to subscribe (for a nice hefty fee) to the letter service.

Now that's a scam. A deliberate attempt to deceive people and take their money. I don't believe animal communicators fall into that category. My guess is that most truly believe in what they do.

Like I said, it doesn't work for me. But, as special delivery put it, I really hope no one feels I'm being hostile to their beliefs. I will readily admit that I'm frequently wrong about an awful lot of things! And, if this is one of them, great. I'd like it all to be true. I really would.

if you wish to pay $50 for entertainment so be it.
    if you believe the AC's read of your horses body language is better than yours, you are probably right.
    if you pay hundreds to know what your horse is thinking, I think P.T.Barnum was right.
    more hay, less grain

armmandh...armandh...armandh, This is such an unimportant subject in the big scheme of things and I apologize for being facetious in my previous post.

You say "so be it" but you can't let it go. Why do you have such a strong need to control? You need to explore that, instead of our fun and games with communicators. ( Except, in the case of Schoolmarm where it actually solved a problem that had the vet stumped.)

Please calm down and just enjoy life a little! I am worried about you.

[This message was edited by free on Aug. 20, 2002 at 01:10 AM.]

armandh - let it go - you don't believe,you don't want to use it - okay, fine. That's your belief and I respect that. But please don't kick me because my belief is different. Yes, there are "snake oil artists" out there and I have met them. My feeling is this - if it makes someone happy or gives them peace, then I am happy for them. After all, it's their money to spend - you might have a point if it was your money they were spending.

"Daria, when you fall off a horse, you just have to get back up and shoot it."
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

Don't come for me - I didn't send for you.

I went to the web-site but I didn't see anywhere where it told how to get in contact with her. Am I just missing that part??? It is 7 in the morning. LOL