The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tle:
    I've had a couple emails requesting the name/contact info of the lady I used. Her name is Debbie McGillivray. Her website is http://www.animaltelepathy.com/ Value or entertainment, she is good and IME worth the money.

tle - that's who I used as well, and I agree completely!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Sandy... No, I didn't "talk"... she did. but whatever. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Thanks Liberty for the advice... I think I'm going to take it.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

of course the true believers will pay any amount for what ever snake oil is being offered. barn help likes loud radios rather than moving them closer. it sure is desperate to have to search memory to find circumstances that fit the description. it is still mostly a con.
    more hay, less grain

Originally posted by SandyM:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And when you talked to these people over the phone you TALKED, right? and RESPONDED to their guesses? You didn't just say, "I have a horse. Tell me about it." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, they did most of talking and were so right on it was scary. I told them was that the animal was a horse, his color, breed, location, and name. I only asked a few questions. Without any hints, she was able to tell me:
    My horse is a jumper, not a hunter (correct)
    Two different people ride him - one with short legs (me -I'm 5'1") and one with long legs (my trainer who is very tall) and the short legged person does not ride as well as the one with long legs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. (Correct again!)
    My horse's back end and front end were not very coordinated when we got him but he's gotten much better since he's been at our barn (correct-he didn't do his lead changes when we got him but now does them perfectly).

...just some food for thought..........

"The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes." - Thomas Hardy

I have to laugh at the response from the non-believers--we've had zillions of threads on the issues of religion that have more or less stayed civil. And while this isn't a religion, a belief in animal communication is a spiritual belief. And yet they fell justified in impuning the intelligence of anyone who believeing it or who has tried it.

I'm not Christian, and don't believe in Jesus, the Christian version of God, etc. Yet if I called Christians "marks" who had been fed snake oil by various charlatan churches for centuries, well, we can just imagine how well that would go over.

Why is this different? (And don't even say money, because churches have made billions of dollars off of their member's beliefs) The belief in any spritual thing is just that--a belief. You believe it in your heart, you know it to be true without requring physical proof. I can't "prove" Bill Northern talked to my horses. Then again, no one can "prove" that God exists.

The hypocrisy of this sort of behavior is always stunning.

Anyway, I'm sure this won't change anybody's mind one way or the other--despite the best efforts of many people in may family I haven't become Christian, and I'm sure Armand and others won't become believers in animal communicators.

As long as they quit being so obnoxious about it, I say vive la differance.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Thank you heather. You wrote what I was starting to feel after once again being called more or less a fool by the non-believers. If you've had a bad experience, do tell us. Explain to us why you don't believe in it. But please don't call us all fools for believing in this or that we have succumbed to some great con. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] If our spending a bit of money provides us with happiness and we believe that our horses are better off for it, then what exactly business is it of yours?

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Heather, good point! I agree with you 100%!

"Both rider and horse must enjoy the work. This is the essence of success" - Reiner Klimke
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy M:
    Those who believe in animal communicators would do well to do a web search on the term "cold reading" and understand what these people REALLY do, even if they are sincere (they may be deluding themselves). Indeed, they are adept at reading body language - of both the animal and its owner - and studying and making good guesses based on your responses to the random stuff they throw out. Like the guy on "Crossing Over" most are scam artists. It is strange that they will thrown out WRONG guesses most of the time, but people only remember the CORRECT guesses and thereby believe these people have some great psychic (!) skill.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a really good program on TV about this. They videotaped the woman who was hosting the show having a reading done. I think it was something to do w/communicating w/the dead, but can't remember exactly. What I do remember is that afterwards, she was completely amazed with the reading...until she saw the tape. That's when she realized how much information she actually gave away without realizing it at all.

I'm not going to comment on other's experiences here because they were there, I was not. But, I can say that my experience has been very interesting. I had her do my old horse twice...and I did it for the entertainment and to see what she would say. The first reading was VERY different than the second. Why? The first time he was quiet in his stall. The second time I had a cast on my hand (freak accident) and my horse was MANIACAL in his stall due to being laid up for 4 days (not allowed out) and it was super windy. The second reading was very much the type you would expect for a horse going nuts in his stall.

The reading on Cypress was WAY off. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember that all she gave me was a bunch of nonspecific information. Yet my friends absolutely swore that she came up with a bunch of stuff that was right on for their horses. My question is, what about all the stuff that was wrong? It just seems everyone was so quick to forget the stuff that was wrong, yet clearly remembers all the stuff that was right.

And no, I really don't need to hear what a communicator thinks my horse has to say (really, I do it for entertainment only), and it is not because I am afraid of the answer. I think I have established enough of a relationship with her that I can read her just as well as an animal communicator can.

NOTE: I am commenting on why I am a skeptic...I am NOT critisizing those who believe.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

SandyM, really, for almost the entire conversation, my only response was "uh-huh." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] When the guy started to say, "Your horse says your balance is off to the..." I thought to myself, "OMG, he's going to say I sit off to the left." Yup, sure enough, he did. My response: "Uh-huh." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I did later ask some direct questions, and it did become a little more of a conversation, but most of the information I found most valuable was offered without any prompting on my part.

Without a doubt, there are a number of "quacks" out there who are merely taking people's money. (There was a funny column in the Washington Post magazine a few weeks ago to this effect -- the author went on Animal Planet's "Pet Psychic" show and the woman tried to talk to her dead cat. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) But as someone who went into this with complete skepticism, there also seems to be some truth in it, in some instances.

I tend to be an extremely literal person with a lot of science-based education... I work for a vet magazine, for crying out loud. I am very skeptical of things that I don't understand, when I can't figure out how they work.

However, I also believe there very may well be things that have no logical explanation. Call me an open-minded skeptic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

has done more to defame the concept of animal communicators than all the radical skeptics put together. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

And for the record, in my experiences, I never "forgot" the wrong answers, for the simple reason that there were no wrong answers.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Isn't it funny that we care more about what is going on in our horses' lives than our own? For instance, I would much rather spend $50 or $60 bucks to have someone talk to Cinco, than taking those funds to a human psychic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

i dont think much of money grubbing organized religion either. think of ethyl merman singing
    THERE IS NO BUISNESS LIKE SHOW BUISNESS
    more hay, less grain

armandh.....I am not a psychic and yet I "sense" such hostility in your replies. Relax a little....it is after all their money that they are spending, not yours.

Goshen, New York (cutest little hossie town in NY)

i think that animal planet's pet psychic is a hoot. typical conversation:
    pet psychic: "he says that you have another companion that he likes to be with."
    owner: "uh - that would be my boyfriend."
    pet psychic "that's right! he says he likes your boyfriend!"
    owner: "wow - i can't believe how you picked up that i have a boyfriend!"

although, to be fair, i did have a good experience with an animal communicator who told me that my horse hated to be the first one turned out in the morning (he was) and that that the new sand ring was giving him headaches from the sun shining on it(brand new washed sand dressage arena, we were riding in it summer-mid afternoons and he was spooking a lot) and that he liked the apple dessert that he had the day before (i didn't know it but my daughter had given him a piece of her mcdonald's apple turnover) and that he loved to be read to (i used to read my dressage tests out loud while sitting on his back)....in no case did i ever mention any of these things before the session. so - it's anybody's guess!

However, I also believe there very may well be things that have no logical explanation. Call me an open-minded skeptic.

Me too Erin. I would never dismiss something until I tried it.

Good Lord, armandh - what on earth is the big deal? What's it to you if people want to use animal communicators?

"Fur die toten und die lebenden mussen wir zeugnis ablegen."

I too was a skeptic, till I found out that someone I had known for years on an email list was a communicator. Since I had known her for so long, I tried her out - I figured I could trust her. She's well respected for her training methods and such in our little email community.

What an eye opener! Our sessions are on the phone, and I am usually asking questions - and even though she knows my dog very well, through email, she has had no idea of some things she's told me. I've also used her for one of the horses at the barn which she knew nothing about.

Another friend of mine, wrote a book called "You Can Talk to Your Animals" - it's a great book that teaches us that everyone can communicate with your animals, it's just a matter of listening and opening yourself up.

I use my ac all the time for my dog, who is chronically ill, and she is a good friend and helps me tremendously.

with out ever meeting or speaking to me you just know i am hostile to the idea of paying out $ for worthless [insert here: training aids, tapes, horse psychics, quack nostrum, etc.]
    I am amazed with your ability and ready to be a true believer.
    more hay, less grain

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hmm, that was a little blunt.

Charming.

my rant is over
    more hay, less grain

Yowsers! I'm with you MargretF. That was rough.

BTW - I have used a communicator and it was great. I can't wait to use her again. Heck, I even have a tiny Buddah on top of my horses stall for good will. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Proud Member of the AQHA Clique!
    Not so proud member of the E-bay Addiction Clique....
    CANTER LURKER Clique!
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand