The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlowerPower:
    I did the animal communicator thing just for amusement, I didn't believe in it AT ALL and I have to say, she came up with some specifics that I couldn't explain. I told her nothing to start with, just my horse's name.

I understand how a person could say very general things that could fit almost anyone and get by, but how many horses have "two mothers"?? I haven't had any other animal communicators 'talk' to my animals though, and still don't know if I totally believe it. Strange though...

FlowerPower - I too was a skeptic, and finally tried it b/c I was curious and because a number of other people in my barn had tried it to remarkable results (like the one whose horse said he didn't like the pink buckets she used for him at shows . . . I mean, who else had PINK buckets and how could she ever have guessed that over the phone!!). Also, we've not seen any patterns to the answers or overlap - it has all been very horse-specific. It was remarkable how dead-on she was about my mare's personality and some of her physical conditions without any prompting or clues. I still have a hard time getting my brain around how it could be possible, but it was very fun and surprising, and I will definitely be doing it again.

My animal communicater is Dawn Hayman from Spring Farm Cares in Clinton, NY (near Utica). I met her face to face a few years ago after consulting with her by phone for years. Neat lady. All her money she makes goes into their Not-for-profit, no kill animal shelter. They have dogs, cats, sheep, ducks, llamas and horses.

Dawn's claims to not be a psychic but rather a telepath. She can only tell you what the animal knows and can't predict the future or anything. She also believes that many people have this ability latently and don't realize they are using it. For instance...a husband and wife sitting together watching TV and both make the same remark together out of the blue...just coincidence? No, they are probably communicating on a much deeper level and don't realize it. Also she says that children are much more tuned into animals telepathically than adults. How often has your little one told you that the "dog or cat said something?" We are discouraged to continue our dialogue with animals as children as we are trained by our parents "that animals can't talk." Sound familiar? It did to me.

Anyway, she actually gives seminars on learning how you receive telepathic communications from animals and others and can help you develop your abilities. Obviously some people have more talent than others like in everything. I find that I'm OK and can receive stuff occasionally but not with any real talent.

The first time I used Dawn was over the phone and she pinpointed a back end lameness in Bob that had several vets stumped. I was so skeptical at that time but she went right to it and she was right. What a gift some of these folks have!

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

to what the gal says in the book "straight from the horse's mouth"...can't remember her name, sorry. It's a newish book, and it goes into detail how many of us have this talent, but don't know it-or had it as kids, etc. it's a good book.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Every single one of us. We do it all the time; it's just that most of us are unaware of it. Our animals hear us too, whether or not we speak out loud.

There is no deep, dark mystery to animal communication nor is it something only a chosen few can do. The difference between them and us is only that they have figured out how to recognize and cultivate this ability that we all possess. And for (past) skeptics like me, the hardest thing is learning to recognize and accept what I receive from my animals. I'm still in the preliminary stages of investigating this, but I know that I am making progress.

That said, I have and will again consult an animal communicator as I was told many things about my horses that were unmistakably unique to them, as well as things that were unmistakably unique to the relationships I and my husband have with our horses. These consultations will also now be able to serve as a validation of things I feel I have received myself.

No 900 numbers, no hocus pocus stuff. It's there for those open enough to use it, and it's very cool.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

She's the one I have and will continue to use. I've also met her face-to-face and she truly is a neat lady; nothing unpretentious or weird about her at all, I was at ease with her immediately. And when I had my phone consultation with her about two weeks after I met her, it was like talking to an old friend.

Here's a link to the website of her organization, Spring Farm CARES, for those who are interested:

http://www.springfarmcares.org
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I have used two different communicators - one 'talked' to both of my horses and the other talked to just one. All were phone consultations. I am normally very skeptical, but was very impressed with both people. The horse I currently own is a jerk to deal with on the ground and has gotten much better in the past month as a result of following some of the communicators' suggestions.

One I found out about one via the COTH BB and the other from a trainer (who was also very skeptical at first).

"The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes." - Thomas Hardy

I have never used Dawn, but I have heard of her.. all good things. Thanks for the website address.

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Although I've not used (deliberately) an animal communicator, one relayed Pinch's thoughts to me and told me she was very chatty and threw many pictures at her, so fast she had a hard time tracking Pinch's thoughts. Since then, I've picked things up from her, and I have successfully called several of my dogs telepathically when it's time to leave or come in and they're nowhere in sight. I have called my deaf dog, Helen, and watched as she stopped from a dead run, stopped, turned and began trotting back to me. From over 500 feet away. Just last night Helen was out and I centered myself and called. I kept trying to visualize her coming to me, but I kept getting a feeling/image of Helen sleeping. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] She didn't come after 5 minutes (very unusual) so I thought for a minute and walked through the house to the back deck. Where Helen was sound asleep on the chaise lounge.

I had a psychic read me many years ago and she predicted I would marry a man with 2 kids, but never have any of my own. Several months later I met a man I was so instantly attracted to I thought he'd slipped something in my drink. We made small talk and he told me he was divorced with two kids. We had an incredible evening together but I was so mortified and overwhelmed by my feelings that I never followed up. Only later still did I find the notes I'd made from my session w/ Mrs. Lon and the initials she had given me of my 'true love' were the same as the man I'd met months before. So much for taking advantage of knowledge of the future!

At the same time, my friend was also read by Mrs. Lon. She was SO ANGRY at what Mrs. Lon told her she stormed out and it was several days before she calmed down enough to tell me the 'bullcr@p' Mrs. Lon had told her. She told my friend she would not have an engagement ring (she did, but she opted not to wear it so as not to give clues), she would have a long marriage (at the time her finance was terminally ill), that her father would not attend the wedding and that she would have a child (previous treatments had left her fiance sterile). Less than 2 months later she and her fiance left town without warning and it wasn't until 3 years later when she called me I got the rest of the story.

Her fiance was suddenly given the chance to take an experimental drug. The catch: he had to be a CA resident, so they needed to move. She sold her engagement ring to raise cash for the tickets, no engagement ring [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] The drugs worked as promised and at the time of her call he was completely healthy. When it came time for the wedding her Dad copped out saying his new wife threatened suicide if he left her to attend the wedding, so... Dad didn't attend the wedding. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] And lastly, her sister became pregnant but was not able to keep her baby, so my friend and her husband adopted the little girl. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Very very weird. Same psychic also became something of an addiction for a friend of mine. Now what was really odd was that every mainlander who she saw was told "You will not stay in Hawaii". Well, that's almost a given, so it seemed a safe thing to say. But Mrs. Lon told Kelli she would live in Hawaii for "the rest of her life" which thrilled Kelli because she loved it so much. Kelli died in Hawaii about 2 years later, still seeing Mrs. Lon at least once a month.

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Granted, this may seen like a case of semantics, but one of the things discussed in my conversation with Dawn Hayman is that she is NOT a psychic. The difference was explained to me as being that psychics foretell the future; communicators don't - they relay the present. Also, psychics are commonly described as "reading minds"; communicators don't - what they do is "receive" from the "sender".

Communication (whether with animals or fellow humans) requires a "sender" and a "receiver". It's not the ability to "read minds" of a chosen subject. Ms. Hayman will readily tell you that not all animals will "talk" to her, but the majority of them do.

Cool accounts, Kryswyn, but so sad about Kelli.

And I guess I'll go ahead and recount one of my recent communications. I've had a couple of others since I started delving into this over the past month or so, but this one has meant the most to me so far because it involved one of my cats:

Two weeks ago, I was awakened by the sound of two of my cats having a major tiff at the other end of the house. It was a (very rare) cool night, and I had left the windows open. Apparently there was a disagreement on the ironing board "cat bed" at one of the screened windows. As I ran to the other end of the house, two of my three cats came tearing out of there at breakneck speed. I found things in disarray in the room, and then noticed the screen had been knocked out of the window and was lying on the ground outside. My third cat (my ex-barn cat) was nowhere to be seen or heard.

I closed the window and went outside into the darkness, calling frantically and shaking a cup of cat food. Now, this cat had been my barn cat for two years, but hadn't been outdoors even once over the past two years (and was PERFECTLY happy in the house). He also had not been vaccinated recently against anything since my vet told me that strictly indoor cats are better off not receiving yearly vacs since some vacs, like the one for the feline AIDS virus (can't remember the exact name) has been thought to contribute to cancer in cats who have been receiving it for a number of years.

I walked around outside for 45 minutes, calling and calling. I checked the bushes, turned on the lights in the garage and barn (two of his previous outdoor hangouts), but no kitty. Thoroughly upset and not knowing what else to do, I sat down on the back deck stairs and figured I'd give the "communication" thing an earnest try. I tried to clear my mind as best I could and mentally sent a "where are you" message to my wayward kitty. Immediately, I heard (although it was more a feeling; hard to describe really), "I'm okay". I responded (mentally), "I know you're okay, but I'm not. I'm worried about you, and you need to come home. There are dangers out here for you."

I then stood up for another trip around the house, when I heard a faint, short kitty chirp. I called out his name, and there came my adventurous kitty, strolling across the deck like it was a sunny afternoon. He came right up to me and didn't mind a bit when I scooped him up, hugged him (he normally hates being held), and carried him into the house.

I thought maybe his taste of the great outdoors might bring out a desire for him to get out there again, but he hasn't shown any interest in going back outside at all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I've used an animal communicator twice, once over the phone, and once in person. I'm not really a skeptic, but I am knowledgable enough of how the scam artists work that I am very careful what I reveal and say, and how I behave.

In a word, I found the guy I used, to be amazing, and he works for many SUPER big names--one;s you read in the Chronicle and other mags week after week.

I found out a lot of interesting things about my horses personality and history, but the big thing to me was really the physical issues--which in both cases were totally and independatly verified by a vet after the fact. Also, some issues about my riding and body position that I had been owkring on with my trainer AND my chiropractor (namely, my right shoulder tends to be out place and fall forward, which my chiro has been working on for a whiole, and which apparently bugs my horse when we jumps because it makes me unbalanced). A friend of mine who uses the same communicator had similar results.

My big, "no way he could have known" moment had to do with the then relationship between my horse and my husband's horse. My husband's horse used to be mine, and after I gave him to my husband I bought my horse. One of the things I had planned on asking about, but hadn't yet, was to help explain why Merlin (hubby's horse) had been so violent towards Lion (had tried to kill him on several occaisions--had tried to jump over the wal between their stalls, and jump over the pasture fence to get at him. I had taken the horses to another farm to be read, and had put them in seperate stalls so their was no visual interaction for him to observe (and he didn't see us come in, so he didn't know they were both with me.

The first words out of his mouth were, "That bay one is saying terrible things to that chestnut on the end. He says he's ugly, and stupid, and no one will ever love him, and that you (me) belong to him and that he'll never have a person of his own."

Pretty amazing.

Later in the day we asked if it was hard to read one specific animal with all the other dogs, cats, and horses runnign around at this barn.

He said not really, but that a specific dog (one of the boarders) was screaming that he was starving to death. The dog's owners burst out laughing--he had just, the day before, started on a vet-mandated diet.

I would never use an animal communicator in place of training, vet care, farrier care, etc. But, IMVHO, it makes a great complement to a strong management program.

Amazing stuff. Some of them are total phonies but others have a great gift. Penelope Smith is one.
    I attended a seminar given by her a few years ago and afterward wanted to talk to her about my older mare who was 29 going on 30 at the time. I started to talk to her about my concerns when she stopped me and told me that my horse knew I was upset about the fact that I knew her life was coming to an end. That she understood and that she would warn me before she went. Fast forward to August 94. My mare started collapsing in her stall for no apparent reason. The first time she got bute IV and got right up. Second time, bute IV and some trouble rising. Third time - found down, had apparently been down for some time, they weren't able to get her up,vet called - long story short, she had to be put down - her muscles had compartmentalized from all time down. I was with her at the end. ANd she knew it was the end. She had given me warning - because of all the other times I was not freaked out as much as I would have been and I understood when it was time for her to go. Not to say I wasn't very upset but I just knew. I thank her for that.

Oh geez......sad memories....miss that horse. Tetonia Anna Marie aka Nisha 4/29/63 - 9/4/94.

"Daria, when you fall off a horse, you just have to get back up and shoot it."
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

I too have had amazing experiences with an animal communicator (one already mentioned in this thread). Several of my friends have used her also and we all have had uncanny results. One of my horses was lame and I stopped riding him and started riding one that was almost retired just for something to ride. I wanted to check w/ the older horse and make sure he was OK in going back to work. When I got on the phone w/ the communicator she kept trying to get in contact w/ my older horse - she would ask questions to verify she had the right one - and everything she kept asking was pointing to the younger horse I had stopped riding. I was planning to 'talk' to him also and she said he really had something to say and wouldn't let her get to my older horse. Well, the younger horse wanted to know why had I stopped riding him and why was I riding the older one again? He thought he had done something wrong. The communicator had no knowledge of this situation until the animals 'told' her. The younger horse was only slightly off and I guess it really didn't bother him enough that he wanted to rest.

It's really interesting too how possesive they become - the ones that really bond to 'their' person. I have three horses at the moment and sometimes they drive me crazy each wanting to be the one I do something with - I had friend come ride the other day and she rode my older horse and I rode one of my younger ones. After we rode my older horse would not take treats from me (I tried forcing them in his mouth and he spat them out!). Talk about laying a guilt trip on me! (I've had the older horse for a long time and we've been through a lot together). Dr. Phil was on Oprah the other day talking about moms who run around doing everything for their kids and end up becoming martyrs w/ no life of their own - I sometimes feel that way about the animals! Maybe I need to schedule a session with the communicator to tell them that I just can't spend a lot of time with each one every day!

and other such pronouncements are sure to click.
    my daughters old horse even hated the sound of the trainers voice. [associated with unplesant hard work] once when we were trying to pull him away from the stall wall where he had cast him self, he heard the trainer, put in a big effort to push off and got up.

if you want real BS buy a bull

PS yes i have bonded with my horse and can almost tell what he is thinking from his body language. but any one can and there are books on the subject.

I call being charged for this entertainment or if the claims are greater i might call it fraud.
    it reminds me of the "carney guess your weight" game where the answer starts low and moves up until a change in the "marks" posture signals the correct range

[This message was edited by armandh on Aug. 19, 2002 at 10:11 AM.]
    more hay, less grain

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I've had a couple emails requesting the name/contact info of the lady I used. Her name is Debbie McGillivray. Her website is http://www.animaltelepathy.com/ Value or entertainment, she is good and IME worth the money.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Those who believe in animal communicators would do well to do a web search on the term "cold reading" and understand what these people REALLY do, even if they are sincere (they may be deluding themselves). Indeed, they are adept at reading body language - of both the animal and its owner - and studying and making good guesses based on your responses to the random stuff they throw out. Like the guy on "Crossing Over" most are scam artists. It is strange that they will thrown out WRONG guesses most of the time, but people only remember the CORRECT guesses and thereby believe these people have some great psychic (!) skill.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

But Sandy, how do you explain the over the phone readings??? I dont' remember everything I wrote down from my last (and only) reading, but i do remember the only thing that had me stumped was a comment about how Char didn't like the music int he barn... that it was too loud. At the time, I couldn't figure that out as the barn radio had been broken for quite a while. Then a friend reminded me that I tend to play loud rock music at shows at her stall. otherwise EVERYThING I wrote down was 100% spot-on.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I also used an over-the-phone person. While he wasn't 100% correct on everything, there were no glaring errors that absolutely couldn't be right. There were a few things that could be interpreted in different ways, and he said my horse was sore in a few spots that didn't really seem to jive with what I was feeling. But he was also dead-on with a few things.

I said very little more than "uh-huh" for the majority of the time I spoke with the guy. I actually was sort of in "interview mode," and just writing down everything he said and letting him talk. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

He did correctly assess that my balance is off to the left quite badly -- a problem that I discovered is due to one of my hips being higher than the other. My horse "insisted" that he tell me that very early in the conversation, because it was bothering him quite a bit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] That would be a pretty hard thing to guess.

I'm with TLE and others who have said that it's an interesting venue to try, and as long as you view it with some healthy skepticism and don't trust your "horse communicator" blindly, it can't hurt.

Don't bother with the skeptics as they will not be convinced, no matter what. Then again, some of them are probably more afraid of finding out what their animals REALLY think than actually being skeptical. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And some of them probably don't care what their animals think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Equus Keepus Brokus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Posted by Erin:
    don't trust your "horse communicator" blindly
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent advice, Erin, which is also applicable to vets, farriers, trainers, etc.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

And when you talked to these people over the phone you TALKED, right? and RESPONDED to their guesses? You didn't just say, "I have a horse. Tell me about it." They can extrapolate from even basic information you give themt. And many "cliches" about horses are valid: One can make guesses at behavior and attitudes (and get lucky "correct" hits) just based on whether a horse is a mare, stallion or gelding, how old it is, etc.