The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter Barns Near St. Louis, MO and Farm Property?

I am considering taking a job in St. Louis, MO and am looking for some feedback on hunter barns near St. Louis and also horse farm property areas? I know Lake St. Louis is a big show venue and it looks like most H/J barns are west of town, any suggestions out there?

Also, how affordable (or expensive) is horse property in the St. Louis area?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have a friend (who also posts on here) whose daughter has been a working student for Michaela (sp) Kennedy and has had a wonderful time showing with her.
    http://kennedyfarms.com/
    The Evil Chem Prof

Horse property is very expensive in St. Louis county. St. Charles, Jefferson, and Washington counties will be more affordable, but you will be further out. Illinois is also a good option.

There have been a number of discussions on St. Louis barns

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=346690

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=346499
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Thanks much! How about horse property? Where do people tend to locate with small (5 to 10 acres) horse properties, ideally close to a hunter barn?
    Even better, close to a hunter barn and trail access.

My husban and I currently have 5 acres and a 5 stall barn with access to an equestrian easement. I'm 2 miles away from my trainer, and there are several other hunter jumper trainers within a 5 mile radius of our farm. It's pretty idyllic, actually. I wouldn't be considering a move if it weren't for the job situation.

You probably will not find anything within a 5 mile distance of most of the h/j barns here. You will probably not find anything within 10 miles unless you are really ready to pay $$$$$$. In St. Louis county, you will be looking at around $750K to $1M or more for an acreage of that size, and most will be smaller than that. In St. Charles county, the acreages will be in the $350K to $750K range for that size. If you are willing to live in the far outlying counties (Jefferson, Washington) or in Illinois, you will find properties much more affordable, but they will be bigger.

Where in the Metro area is the proposed job? That will make a difference.
    ReRiders Clique

Unfortunately, the job is near downtown St. Louis. It looks like most of the Hunter/Jumper barns are west of town. Is the acreage alone $350k to $750k in St. Charles County, or are you talking acreage plus house and possibly a barn?

All would be for house, barn, etc. The land may be worth more than the buildings on it, especially if it has been a foreclosure or other type of siezure.
    One of my trainers bought a farm in Warren County (past St. Charles County) relatively inexpensively - two barns, four large pastures, an indoor ring, outdoor ring, and a house for under $500K from a bank. The house was not livable when she bought it - previous owners ripped out all the plumbing and fixtures.
    You probably wouldn't find anything undeveloped unless you went even further out.
    Keep in mind that a commute from rural St. Charles county is going to be 45 min to an hour each way. I work downtown and live in the city - I have a 45 minute drive on a good day after work to get to the barn, and it has taken up to an hour and a half to get out.
    ReRiders Clique

100 percent check out the properties on the Illinois side. The land, for the most part, will be cheaper than in Mo, and the commute isn't a big deal. Also, consider riding with Paula Mangiaracina (East Lake Farm) who trains out of Mark Harrell Quarter Horses, which is about 15 minutes from downtown StL.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

you should check out property in Illinios since you will be working downtown, otherwise your commute will absolutely suck everyday. There are several hunter/jumper barns in and around St Louis, PM me and I will give you a list