The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nurse mare available in So MD

I put my medium pony's foal down today and she has huge amounts of milk. Kind enough to be a nurse mare if anyone is n need. PM me for more info

Someone in our area (VA,MD,PA) just lost her broodmare and I'm referring her to you if she follows through. Her mare was a horse, though.

So sorry.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Default Mare died, foal needs nurse mare

Thanks Diane, For thinking of Alix's foal. I've left a PM, I hope they will be a good match.
    Last edited by GREEN LADY HELPER; May. 20, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Made a mistake

Trying to help the foal on Facebook that just lost his mom. Now I hear that this mare is totally dried up and has no milk. Hmmmmmm.....how did that happen so fast?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Last year my mare dried up at the university due to toooo frequent milkings when the foal was being tube fed every hour. We had to use meds to get her milk started again. It happened within two days. Surprised everyone that the milk just quit.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by baldfaceboyz View Post
    I put my medium pony's foal down today and she has huge amounts of milk. Kind enough to be a nurse mare if anyone is n need. PM me for more info
    NO suggestions but I am very sorry for your loss of the foal
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Also very sorry to read about your loss.

Sugarbrook, you breed ponies, you tell me, how long should it take to dry them up ? Baby born 3 am Fri, foal couldn't stand to nurse so we milked mom on the hour and bottle fed, vet who put baby down at 9pm that night asked me to keep milking her every 2 hrs for the donor colostrum until the 24 hr mark, Sat at 3 am when it loses potency. Sadly, when I went in to milk the first time she was standing over baby (vet advised leaving body in w her overnight) licking it and simply streaming milk. By the last time I went in she was in opposite corner and I got very little milk out of her. I had students showing Sat so a friend came and stripped her to keep her comfortable, also said she got very little milk. Sunday I was ablle to get a bit but tapering off. Today, Monday, there are a few drops but she is very cranky now about letting me get anywhere near her teats. As advised by vet I have also taken her off the high protein feed to help dry her up. I am sorry I couldn't help out another foal in need. My deepest sympathies and best wishes are with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfaceboyz View Post
    Sugarbrook, you breed ponies, you tell me, how long should it take to dry them up ? Baby born 3 am Fri, foal couldn't stand to nurse so we milked mom on the hour and bottle fed, vet who put baby down at 9pm that night asked me to keep milking her every 2 hrs for the donor colostrum until the 24 hr mark, Sat at 3 am when it loses potency. Sadly, when I went in to milk the first time she was standing over baby (vet advised leaving body in w her overnight) licking it and simply streaming milk. By the last time I went in she was in opposite corner and I got very little milk out of her. I had students showing Sat so a friend came and stripped her to keep her comfortable, also said she got very little milk. Sunday I was ablle to get a bit but tapering off. Today, Monday, there are a few drops but she is very cranky now about letting me get anywhere near her teats. As advised by vet I have also taken her off the high protein feed to help dry her up. I am sorry I couldn't help out another foal in need. My deepest sympathies and best wishes are with them though.
    That's what happened when my mare was at the university with her foal. Their theory was over milking caused her to dry up. Happened in about the same time frame as well. Very fast. I think hand milking also played a part.