The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

I hope this hasn't been posted about!

It's the cover with those Olsen twins on it, talking about rich kids.

Paige's little bit was actually quite nice. In fact, it annoyed me a bit to see Paige (whom I don't know but I loved the article with her mom so much that I know Paige must be a good kid) lumped in there with those trainwrecks of adolescence Paris and Nicky Hilton.

Athina is featured in a photo aboard a horse, in show togs wearing her GPA.

OK, the horse sport continues to be perceived as hoity-toity by the media. Look at the images they portray - Lucy Liu's character in "Charlie's Angels" is featured at a horse show where people are dressed like they're going to church. Very unlike any horse show - including Rolex - I've ever attended!

The caption on Paige's picture in People says, "biggest splurge: $1200 custom riding boots." Tackiest thing? Reporting her father's net worth.

But, are there a lot of you here who have $1200 custom Vogels who are not ridiculously wealthy? I would say yes. I don't have Vogels, but I do have semi-custom boots that set me back $450. Definitely not pocket change.

My point is, I think everyone who participates in the sport does it for the love of the sport, and the horses.

As Mrs. Johnson intimated in the article that ran last fall, they're certainly not making money off of the horses! So good for Paige that she can do more because she has access to more. In fact, I'm glad that she has a buttload of horses, and so much because if I had access to that sort of money, that's exactly how I'd want to do it too! In some way it tells me that she's just a horsey gal.

And we love horsey gals!

Robby

"Don't mince words, don't be evasive
    Speak your mind, be persuasive"
    Madonna
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I hope this hasn't been posted about!

It's the cover with those Olsen twins on it, talking about rich kids.

Paige's little bit was actually quite nice. In fact, it annoyed me a bit to see Paige (whom I don't know but I loved the article with her mom so much that I know Paige must be a good kid) lumped in there with those trainwrecks of adolescence Paris and Nicky Hilton.

Athina is featured in a photo aboard a horse, in show togs wearing her GPA.

OK, the horse sport continues to be perceived as hoity-toity by the media. Look at the images they portray - Lucy Liu's character in "Charlie's Angels" is featured at a horse show where people are dressed like they're going to church. Very unlike any horse show - including Rolex - I've ever attended!

The caption on Paige's picture in People says, "biggest splurge: $1200 custom riding boots." Tackiest thing? Reporting her father's net worth.

But, are there a lot of you here who have $1200 custom Vogels who are not ridiculously wealthy? I would say yes. I don't have Vogels, but I do have semi-custom boots that set me back $450. Definitely not pocket change.

My point is, I think everyone who participates in the sport does it for the love of the sport, and the horses.

As Mrs. Johnson intimated in the article that ran last fall, they're certainly not making money off of the horses! So good for Paige that she can do more because she has access to more. In fact, I'm glad that she has a buttload of horses, and so much because if I had access to that sort of money, that's exactly how I'd want to do it too! In some way it tells me that she's just a horsey gal.

And we love horsey gals!

Robby

Madonna

Good points Robby! I saw Paige ride at a VT show two years ago and I was absolutely floored by her beautiful equitation in the jumper classes. You are so right - if I had that kind of money I would be doing the same thing - having very good horses to show. However, she has incredable ability also. She is a beautiful rider. No wonder that little green god called jealousy shows up whenever I hear her name mentioned! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Vermont - where winter riders are real riders.
    Vermont - where winter riders are real riders.

Paige is a class act. She mucks out. She studies hard. And yes, she has nicer horses than most of us could dream of. GOOD FOR HER PARENTS FOR ENCOURAGING A HEALTHY HABIT!!!! She could be dropping $1200 a day on crack...

Just call me Mrs. Robinson...
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Her mother is a class act, so it's nice to hear that Paige is doing well. Is the article about her available on-line?

I happened to pick up that issue in the waiting room at the chiropractor today and wondered if anyone would comment on it!

I saw Paige riding at Lake Placid and she is definitely a very nice rider. Maybe they've got the money to get her nice horses, etc., but she seems to appreciate it and is obviously putting the work in.

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun."

Robby- funny that you should post this because I was just about to write something about the article myself! I saw it yesterday at work, and one of my co-workers just rolled her eyes when she read the part about Athina having "Olympic dreams," saying, "I'm sure with $800 million that she can buy her way to the top." This definitely made me wonder about the pressure that riders like Athina and Paige have to endure simply because they come from very priviledged backgrounds. At the end of the day, even though they may have better chances at winning, thanks to great horses and trainers, the person who keeps the jumps up and goes fast is the one who is going to win.

I guess I just found it kind of sad that accomplishments in Show Jumping have become so closely linked to the amount of wealth one possesses. If this is how the public views horse sports (he who has the most cash wins), the hopes many of us have to bring our sport more into the public eye may not ever be realized. And, let me just add that it's not the fault of these very lucky kids. Paige seems like a class act and a damn good rider...having money (or not having money) should not influence the perception of one's riding ability.

Just some random thoughts...what does everyone else think?

*Formerly known as Seabiscuit*

I went to their most GORGEOUS barn while in FL in Jan. One of my old friends works for her. After by tour, I asked him what would happen if Paige decided she didn't want to ride once in college, etc. Randy said that her mom loves the horses so much, that things would just continue on, just with a pro for the horses instead of Paige.

Unfortunately, I just missed meeting Paige by about 2 minutes. But I DO have an invitation to see the Middleburg Salamander when at Upperville in June!

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

If custom boots is identified as a "biggest splurge" I'd say they're basicly being pretty conservative, and their priorities are probably pretty appropriate.

From everything I've read, the Johnsons are doing the horse thing The Way It Should Be Done, no more and no less. More power to them.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Wow! That's a way to put a snob spin on a boot purchase. You're absolutely right, many non wealthy people have custom boots. I just got a pair--because they'll last long enough to be darn cheap on a per year basis! (Though mine weren't $1200, more like $850.)

Plus, if $1,200 is the biggest "splurge" Paige has made--she's a very restrained gal! I am by no means rich, but I can think of several splurges (over the years) that cost much more than that! And many of them are things non horsey people do all the time--for example vacations. Would you say a $1,200 vacation is a big "splurge" available only to the wealthy?

i've never seen Paige Johnson ride in person, but on Saddletude.com there was a video of her mom talking about the horse show life and a clip of paige riding. i'll try to find the video and post it here, because it was really nicely made. also, just watching paige ride, she looked like a really good, flowing rider... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif please correct me on this if i am wrong, though...

here is the URL to the video on the top of screen, click on JumpVid and then click on Hampton Classic: A Mother's Love. it's a really great video, IMHO http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"This is my only line" -Monty Python

Paige, and the rest of her family, is a class act. She is grounded in reality and works extremely hard to do well. She can ride and has proven herself time and time again on the hunters and the jumpers.

Robby

Hate to burst your celeb-bubble, but I believe the girls on the current cover are the Hilton girls - of the Hilton hotel family - spolied rich party girls http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

That rich greek girl, Athina?

No collar on the show shirt. Tsk tsk tsk. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

"We will not agree to war, unless you have spent the same amount of money first seeking peace" - anonymous
    I\'m old enough to know better, yet young enough to get away with it.

No sugar, look again, it's the Olsens. The Hiltons are featured inside, on the page after Paige.

You all have reacted similarly to how I reacted. Even though I don't know Paige, I think of her as one of "us." Just like I think of all equestrians as one of "us."

And if her $1200 boots are a splurge, then that *is* conservative!

Robby

Madonna

TThank god those Hilton girls don't ride!!! What a bunch of trash they are...and not even pretty. And they look old and worn at 18...poor things, I ALMOST feel bad for them, they have not handled the "rich kid" thing well, and for that lets blame the parents...
    Kudos to Bob and Sheila...

Just call me Mrs. Robinson...
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

She might have a ton of money and wonderful horses, but anyone who looks like this:
    Smiley pic of Paige
    After finishing her round definitely counts as a horsewoman in my book http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

*EMMA*

SoCal: land of traffic, traffic, and more traffic

I checked the People website....it has short blurbs for four of the "rich kids", but not for Paige. Guess I'll have to thumb through it at the grocery store tonight.

What if the Hokey Pokey *IS* what its all about?
    What if the Hokey Pokey *IS* what its all about?

I was wondering if anyone was going to post about this. My hubby pointed out the little article about Paige to me. He wondered if that's how much I paid for my custom boots. It is the Olsen twins on the cover of the magazine. As for the picture of Athina, I was impressed that she was wearing a GPA, but disappointed that she didn't have her choker on.

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
    - Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
    - Tim McGraw
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gambit:
    Oh Robby, forgive my faux pas! They all look the same to me!

And wowser, that is the second time I've been called "sugar" today!!!!!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique