The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spirulina dosing help

I ordered some capsules of spirulina. I think they are 450 mg. I'm trying to help a horse with allergies (even though she is already on desensitization shots). Any idea how many capsules is an appropriate dose daily for a 1,000 pound horse?

I get Spirulina from Springtime, Inc. They recommend 2000 mg/ 100 lb. of horse.

With powdered spirulina, I feed about 2 tablespoons per day. One of my fellow boarders feeds the Springitme Inc. wafers to her horse (he's around 15 hands) and she gives him 5 wafers 2X/day, which works out to 20,000 mg.

hmmm. that means 40 a day. So the bag I ordered has about a week's worth. That's not good

I get mine in bulk from herbalcom.com.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

1 members found this post helpful.

For herbal stuff, human capsules are usually ridiculously overpriced for the amount you need for a horse. Definitely go with bulk, either with Springtime or herbnhorse.com or herbalcom.com
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Horsetech.com has it too.. in their basic ingredients section. Trying them this time because my horse won't eat the Springtime Wafers and I have to grind it and put it in some soaked Timothy. Horsetech's is a powder.

I feed the powder that I get from herbalcom.com which is much more affordable than human capsules. I feed 1 tbsp x 2 day. I am using it for allergies/head shaking and have been pleased thus far. Just dont inhale when you open the container!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I get mine from Amazon for WAY cheaper than what I've seen on horse sites. The stuff I get is also organic, not that it makes much difference to me but it might for some.

I order BugOff Garlic from Springtime,Inc. and they are always having sales or free shipping. I get my garlic when they offer buy 2, get 1 free. Great customer service too.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I got a really good deal on the powder from JustNuts.com (I think that's right as it's at home). I've used HorseTech as well but their price went up a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I feed the powder that I get from herbalcom.com which is much more affordable than human capsules. I feed 1 tbsp x 2 day. I am using it for allergies/head shaking and have been pleased thus far. Just dont inhale when you open the container!
    Ditto from www.herbalcom.com I pay about $13 a pound, lasts about a month. 1 TB. 2x a day. Makes feet and hair grow like CRAZY fast. I take it as well (in pill form) and I already need a haircut - it was cut just 3 weeks ago! My mare's mane and tail I swear grow an inch a week and it really puts a lot of foot on too.

I feed it as an all around immune support. All 4 of mine go on it for a week about every 6 weeks or so. My one mare is on it all the time right now due to a muscle injury (stepped on old horse's grave and it gve way under her) and for persistant toe crack.

I have this for use as a colorant in my homemade soap. I'll have to see if my horse will eat it if I sprinkle a little bit on her feed. Maybe it will help with her itchy skin. I ordered it in bulk from Herbalcom and I have more than I can every use for soap making.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Have y'all experienced any side effects with spirulina? I've been tempted to put my horse on it because his cough tends to get worse during the hot and dry season. But he can be sensitive to changes so just wanted to see y'alls experience.

Also, for picky eaters...has it been super hard to get your horse to eat it? Something tells me it might not have the best flavor!

Thanks!

When my horse's COPD is acting up (coughing), I feed 1 tablespoon twice day. Otherwise, he does well on 1 tablespoon per day for maintenance. Very rarely do I have to increase his dosage to 2 tablespoons per day. I also order my spirulina in bulk from herbalcom.com. I order several pounds at a time and store it in my barn refrigerator.

Best of luck.

You just have to start off with it slowly and only give them a little bit until they get used to the taste.

I can attest to the fact that it tastes horrible--a few months ago I had a horrible rash, so I grabbed a few of the Springtime Inc wafers and chewed them. Disgusting!! And they leave your whole mouth covered in blue-green slime. But when my horse is eating spirulina regularly, he will actually eat the wafers straight out if my hand--unlike when I first started him on it, when he would sift them out of his feed and refuse to eat them. That's when I turned to the powder, and I had no problems getting him to eat that when I mixed it into his wet feed.

Default spirulina dosing?????

I have a horse with head shaking syndrome. my vet recommended giving him spirulina. I have fed it to another horse that had allergies. he ate it but hated it. I can't remember how much i gave him. can anyone help here??? thanks

I have some spirulina that I don't need. From Springtime but over a year old.

Not sure what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by apkjacks View Post
    I have a horse with head shaking syndrome. my vet recommended giving him spirulina. I have fed it to another horse that had allergies. he ate it but hated it. I can't remember how much i gave him. can anyone help here??? thanks
    I have used 10-20 grams per day for my allergic headshaker.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.