The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Saddles

I tried my BO's Stubben Siegfried on my horse yesterday and it fit him like it was a custom made! I was pretty amazed, as he has been difficult to find a saddle for. The change in him was pretty amazing!

Anyway, so now I have to find a used Stubben. I have some questions:
    -This saddle is a VSD and has a 31.5 cm tree. Is there a big difference between the 31.5 cm tree and the 31 cm and the 32 cm?
    -Will it make a difference in the fit if I go from the VSD to a VSSG?
    -Where can I find a used Stubben for a decent price? Everything on ebay seems to be around $1000, but I've talked to several people that have said they have gotten theirs for quite a bit less.

Edited to add, this was a Siegfried.
    Thanks!

I just sold a Stubben Siegfried for $500, it was bought brand new in 1969 and was still in great condition, although I admit it only had about 10 years of use on it. In my area $500 seems to be the going rate for them. Mine was a 31 IIRC but I don't know how it compares to the other sizes you mention. They are a great saddle though, and generally very inexpensive to buy used.

Check Stubben's website. They have a large selection of used and demo saddles...but I don't know if the price will meet your needs.

Prices range all over the place, depending on age. I recently sold a really nice Colombo AP on ebay for $400. Someone got a steal!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Just sold my 12 yo stubben sigfred for $600. Looked pretty new as it was more of a trail saddle. I want to get another because they fit my gelding very well and my prestige fits ok but not as well as the stubben. I will go with a roxanne though as I love riding in them. My fave stubben saddle. You can get them to come out and fit your horse and bring demos/used saddles.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Sold a 5 year old Roxane VSS for $750. Depends on age/condition for sure, but the Siegfrieds are all over, you should be able to spend less than $1K for sure!

I got mine half price from a Dover sale a few years back, but it took a coon's age to arrive.
    Depending on your time frame, some dedicated shopping around this summer could pay off, but it still might take awhile for the saddle to ship. I think that time they probably sold so many they emptied the warehouse and had to make more.

Are the Roxanes good for longer legs? I really like the look of them, but someone told me they were not made for riders with long legs.

Unfortunately, this isn't something I can really take a lot of time with. My horse is no longer comfortable in my current saddles and the BO's saddle is really too short for my leg.

I got both my Siegfrieds (sold one) from craigslist.

There's something called adhuntr.com that will search every craigslist in the USA for you.

Just type in Stubben Siegfried, and it'll pull up all ads for them.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

The siegfried vssg is for riders with long legs usually from hip to knee. I have a roxanne vssg and love it. Def look into the deluxe leather it is stickey. Reg leather is slipperier. If u go with a 31 or 32 tree u could always get saddle fitter out to tweek the tree in either direction or get it flocked to fit horse better.

I got my Stubben Siegfried off of Ebay for a grand total of about $425.00 which included international shipping. I went with a buyer who allowed returns after a 5 day trial period. They're fairly easy to find, particularly since you know exactly what you're looking for. I actually flipped one a couple months ago, purchased for $200.00, sold for around $400.00 easily.

They wear like iron, I love my stubben!
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Are the Roxanes good for longer legs? I really like the look of them, but someone told me they were not made for riders with long legs.

Unfortunately, this isn't something I can really take a lot of time with. My horse is no longer comfortable in my current saddles and the BO's saddle is really too short for my leg.
    A few years ago I was having a Roxane S (in the extra forward flap, which was about 2cm more forward than the regular flap that the Roxane S comes in) custom made for my super narrow TB and my super long legs. I liked it much better than the Seigfried, but if I had gone with one of the Seigfrieds I would have gone with the VSSG

Unfortnatly my horse got really sick and had to be put down before it was finished, so I never really got to really ride in it. Stubben was very understanding and gave me a full refund. They are a great company to work with!

I have a Siegfried VSSG that's pretty fantastic. I was originally on the lookout for a Roxanne because of the forward flap--I'm 6' tall and most of that height's from my hip to knee. I paid $900 for mine, in basically new condition, at Rick's in SE PA. www.saddlesource.com They normally have a lot of used Stubbens when I go in there.

Call up Stubben's customer service line and tell them you like X and what models are similar. They're pretty happy to talk to you and answer all your questions even if you're upfront about looking to buy used. You may be able to find a saddle that has a different name, but is essentially the same thing. They haven't always named things in the same way. For example with the dressage saddles, older Tristans and newer Tristans are NOT the same at all. Older Tristans are like the new Genesis Special Ds.

My Arab doesn't like the Siegfried II (CC model) I have, but really likes the Aramis (dressage model) and I wanted to know what was so different about the trees that he wasn't liking. Turns out the Siegfried II's have really short tree points and he probably isn't a fan of that. I talked to them for a good 45 minutes about what jumping/close contact models I should look for that my horse would find to be similar to the Aramis.

As far as the .5cm one way or the other? It will depend on the horse and the exact model. If your horse is very much a princess and the pea type, then it might make a huge difference. If the horse is less sensitive though, it might not. Keep in mind the trees do have some flex to them too.

Yes, the difference in tree size will make the fit change pretty drastically.

I have OLD stubben sigfrieds for me (schooling saddles) and about 9 of my students. All bought of ebay or consignment for under $400. Some are in great shape, some have some cosmetic damage, they're all in various stages of needing a reflock (sheepskin pad under those that need it most per our saddle fitter). I just bought a 31.5 off ebay for $250 including shipping. And I have a 29.5 that I bought 6 years ago that literally. fits. everything. My saddle fitter has stopped even trying to explain it.

If anyone comes across a 17.5 Roxane S with a 28 cm tree while they are searching, let me know!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

My mom has a stubben roxane and loves it. Unfortunately I can't ride in it because I have a long femur. It is a forward flap, and it can work but I am 5'8" and have a very long femur and I just can't get out of it. I had much better luck with a stubben edelweiss fitting my leg because the seat was a little flatter and there weren't a ton of blocks to restrict my leg.

We had to order new stubben roxannes - both dressage and jumping for our sons - as they are tall and long legs - we ordered 19" with larger flaps at no extra charge - the blocks on the dressage saddle were extra though. It's been 2 years but about 2500 new -

Love my Stubben Roxanne. It is a 17' and with no mods fits me perfectly - if it helps, I am 5'5 and have legs that are a little on the shorter side- my length is in my torso. ;p

Although it is true that a newer used Stubben is more expensive, you might try looking for a slightly older Stubben if your budget is restricted. There are a lot out there and, if well-cared for they they hold up very well - basically you'll probably just need to reflock it. For instance, I have an old Stubby Parzival I bought for $500 and soon am going to resell for about the same if I ever get around to actually taking pics and making a post. ;p There are lots of deals like that out there.

Only other thing to note is that some saddles are going to fit differently. When the fitter came out fer me, a couple of the 31s she put on my horse were tight while others - like the Roxanne I ended up ordering - fit perfectly. It has to do with the different tree and cantle shapes I think.

One thing you can do is ask for is the serial number off any Stubben you are thinking about purchasing - you can use that to contact Stubben and get all the details of the saddle. If your instructor's fits perfectly, just get her serial # and ask how the one you are considering would compare. I've never tried this, but I think I have read about others it has worked for.