The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crank nosebands?

This is an entirely stupid question, but I recently found a brand new gorgeous patent leather Vespucci dressage bridle with a crank noseband at a 99% western tack shop, and they were selling it for $75 because they didn't know what it was really.
    But my question, in the USEA rules about the permitted nosebands, it doesn't list crank nosebands. But when I did searches about it, most people said it was legal, but there were still a bunch that said it was illegal. So... which is it?

I've ridden my TB in a crank noseband. Not often, but I did it. So I am obviously going to vote, legal. haha

Quote Originally Posted by tec890 View Post
    I've ridden my TB in a crank noseband. Not often, but I did it. So I am obviously going to vote, legal. haha
    Good to hear! What level were you at?

Also, I won't actually be "cranking" it... I will have it just as loose as I would a regular cavesson noseband... if that matters

I also did not "crank" mine either I kept it pretty loose on him because I didn't originally intend to use it. It just happened to be a spare bridle I had at the time (long story, suffice it to say Comanche had a moment of craziness which led to him snapping his other).

It was a Preliminary level show! But like I said, it was 2 years ago and he has since broken a leg and I have a new prospect in the works, so I haven't shown recently. So things could have changed. Though I think not

They are fine. My dressage bridle has one (which I hate, but whatever), and I've shown all spring with it.

I competed last year and will this year with one. No problems!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTheCityLights View Post
    This is an entirely stupid question, but I recently found a brand new gorgeous patent leather Vespucci dressage bridle with a crank noseband at a 99% western tack shop, and they were selling it for $75 because they didn't know what it was really.
    But my question, in the USEA rules about the permitted nosebands, it doesn't list crank nosebands. But when I did searches about it, most people said it was legal, but there were still a bunch that said it was illegal. So... which is it?
    USEF rules, not USEA. Wish I had a buck for everytime I've written that!

Legal and common!

My mare loves hers - it's not tight, but I'm guessing it's because of the padding under the jaw.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    USEF rules, not USEA. Wish I had a buck for everytime I've written that!
    That's what I meant... I'm just so used to always typing USEA.

Thanks everyone!

I use them because of the padding. Never crank them tight just lose for one finger at the bottom of the jaw. Never had an issue. Good price on the bridle. I want one!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I use them because of the padding. Never crank them tight just lose for one finger at the bottom of the jaw. Never had an issue. Good price on the bridle. I want one!
    I thought so too! I saw some black leather hidden behind a ton of tangled up old brown western headstalls and thought 'That looks english... OOOH VESPUCCI....OMG 75?!?!' It's so so so pretty. I just don't like how big the noseband is, but if I end up getting a horse with a bigger head, then it's no problem.

You could always look for a different noseband on Justbridles.com
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

My understanding is that cranks are not permitted. I just looked at the rules and they are not listed. I did bit checks at HTs several times in the last few years. No one presented in a crank, or I would haved asked the TD or organizer for clarification.
    Last edited by Flagstaff Foxhunter; May. 18, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

I showed in a crank for the majority of last year, including Area Champs, and I've been showing in one this year. Haven't been stopped for it.