The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A picture, and a Friday morning confession

Yesterday was a lovely day here in the Willamette Valley. As usual, I ran out to the barn after work. All three of my horses were out in one of the pastures as I drove up, munching on hay piles and shopping for what little grass is left in the sacrifice area.

I'm one of those lucky people whose horses all get along relatively well. My oldest gelding is a bit bossy, and enjoys alternately grooming my mare and then pushing her around. The big guy just ignores him and minds his own business, but he and the mare are quite friendly when they go out alone, as are he and the gelding. I call him The Mediator, and I think he'll make a fabulous babysitter when I get around to breeding my mare. I got a new camera a few weeks ago, a fancy shmancy DSLR, and I've been dinking around with it at home, until now, because I haven't had much time at the barn in the daylight lately when it wasn't raining.

So, I sat for a while next to the fence and click, click, clicked away (God bless digital cameras), playing with lighting and angles and the multitude of different settings I'm aware of (and some I'm not!).

What produced itself was this: Honigbar

I know it's not exactly perfect, but I thought it turned out reasonably well as an unedited image. The only change I'd make would be to edit the tape fencing line out of the background.

On to the confessions: I led not one, not two, but all THREE of them in from the pasture at the same time. In the dark. And didn't die, nor was I struck down by the bad horsemanship gods.

My other confession? I had red velvet cake for dinner. And emailed mvp about a saddle, even though I have FIVE already and don't "need" another.

Happy Friday! What's your confession?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Your photo is beautiful, and so is the horse.

My confession is..... I'm secretly glad it has been too wet to ride or work Scout this week. The clinic Sunday wore me out, and I'm still a wee bit sore from my unplanned dismount.
    Alis volat propriis.

I confess to drinking coffee with lots of frothed half-and-half for breakfast and no food.

What camera did you buy? I just got the Nikon 3100 with kit lenses. I am planning to play with it this weekend at a clinic.

I confess to an unplanned bag of doritos in my lunch, as well as not really wanting to go for my post lunch run. I also confess to having had a bit too much whiskey at dinner last night, which probably has something to do with the previously mentioned doritos and lack of motivation.

pretty pic!

Loved the angle of your picture, really beautiful horse!

I confess to chunking feed and water to horses and coming back and plopping in front of the computer instead of doing rest of chores in barn. I will be sorry later, but it's been rather nice this A.M.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I confess to regularly taking my two geldings out to pasture and back in together. I used to simply turn my oldest guy loose to follow--both directions! And surviving!

I confess to eating a container of Bacon Cheddar Ranch dip and black pepper potato chips from Trader Joe's for dinner a week ago...sigh...so much for trying to lose weight to fit into my show breeches.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I confess to eating chocolate ice cream for breakfast this morning after I fed the horses.

I confess that I nearly quoted a price when my neighbor asked if he could have some manure for his garden... But since he wants to movie it, I let it go for free.

I confess that I'm sorely tempted to abandon all of my weekend commitments and just ride...

And finally, I confess to checking out the guy in the sexy dually who drove next to me on the way to work today....

It's been a good week.

Just bought ANOTHER saddle, but the price was right. Am about to open the box. Bottom line; don't drink on e-Bay!

Gorgeous picture....love her color. No confessions yet. Will build up some over the weekend....

Default First you are my Hero ~ to confess so easily ~ next here is mine

A HAZELNUT LATTE AND SNICKERS !

BREAKFAST OF DIET CHEATERS

Simply " GO-TO-HELL" Material GOOD ~ GOOD ~ GOOD !

* every time I re-start my diet I go outside and wouldn't you know it !!!!! ?????

THE ENTIRE DAY SMELLS LIKE FRIED CHICKEN !

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

love it!

My confessions are...

I had totally planned to start laundry, but the machine was already in use....so I fed ponies, and was getting ready to go ride His Haffyness before it got hot and before my 1 o'clock meeting with a rep (that's right, she who owns ONE thing of eye liner and only ever gets smelly stuff as presents is going to be a sales rep), and as I was zipping up my half chaps the phone rang, meeting bumped up to 10am >.< Really quick hop in car and drive up.

Indulge in a Mocha Frapp from McD's while I'm out. Perform a..mostly legal..U turn when I run into traffic/road block, come home, machine is free but I fail to get anything into it, and have no lingering desire to ride, so I am currently doing computer yoga on my bed, being comfy, and reading about other people riding instead of being out doing it myself.

At least I'm dressed for it...the half chaps and boots never came off. Shhh don't tell the honey man I have shoes on in bed!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

I confess to sneaking one of my horses a carrot and part of a granola bar quietly so that the other horses wouldn't notice. Shhhh.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I confess to drinking coffee with lots of frothed half-and-half for breakfast and no food.

What camera did you buy? I just got the Nikon 3100 with kit lenses. I am planning to play with it this weekend at a clinic.
    Oh, you reminded me. I also confess to stopping at the coffee shop for a caramel silk blended coffee. Caramel, white chocolate, and coffee with whipped cream and caramel swirls goodness. Wedding diet? What's that? Who has a budget? Not me.

I *want* to say its the d3100. I'm shopping for more lenses now, it came with an 18-55mm that works great for anything you can stand within about 10 feet of. My dad is a semi-pro with multiple Nikons, so any advice I need is readily available.

Oh.

For those of you that commented on what a nice color she is..

It's very white-grey mare, covered in copious amounts of very brown dirt.

I have led up to 6 horses out to the field at once and never had an issue. I used to do this on a daily basis.

(they were all from the same driving team, and all get along, is that cheating?)

I confess to having Reese's Pieces for lunch...the whole box....the movie theater size box.

I confess to buying my 10th saddle last week. (I only have 4 horses~) I also confess to NOT wanting to be @ work today, but I am, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl598 View Post
    I confess to buying my 10th saddle last week. (I only have 4 horses~) I also confess to NOT wanting to be @ work today, but I am, as usual.
    I aspire to be as great as you. 10 saddles? I have 3 horses. I suppose I could rationalize at least two for each horse, 3 if you count western saddles (of which, I have two).

I never want to be at work. That's why I'm on COTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    * every time I re-start my diet I go outside and wouldn't you know it !!!!! ?????

THE ENTIRE DAY SMELLS LIKE FRIED CHICKEN !
    Best. Quote. Ever.

I've been like Hyperbole and a Half the last couple of weeks -- need to overhaul home and barn and CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!! My enthusiasm for these activities has been going up and down like an EKG. Oddly () I am most enthusiastic when I cannot actually DO said things, i.e. when I am at work, I craft plans of organizational WONDER.

When I'm at the barn... aw c'mon, it's Washington, it's not raining, the horses are out in the pastures for the most part, the sun is shining, birds are singing...

...and I am sitting. Enjoying it.

Must clean ALL the things?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I never want to be at work. That's why I'm on COTH.
    ME TOO! Yep, 5 of my saddle are western, 3 are hunt seat, and I have 2 dressage saddles now. I think I've gotten at least 3 of them in the past year! And I might have one I forgot about stored upstairs ....that would make 11 total.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Beautiful mare!
    Too funny about her self-improved color!!

I confess:

#1 - to raking up last night's uneaten hay in the stalls before horses moseyed in from pasture for breffy and not topping it off with fresh.
    I did sort of try to make sure no peed-upon hay got raked into their piles
    Hey! They left it there and watched me walk from house to barn before deciding "Meh, may as well come in for grain"

#2 - between Tuesday afternoon and last night, finished off a 1/2 gallon of caramel ice cream with mini-Rolos in it...and a ribbon of caramel fudge.
    Damn you, Bluebunny for being on sale!
    According to the package I consumed 4 servings (1/2 cup = 1 serving? HA!) at a sitting.
    Helloooo stretchypants!

ZuZu: I wanna live where you live!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009