The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Science Study Shows Horses Have Mental Pictures of Owners

The question is, what mental picture do they have of you?

http://www.horseyard.com.au/horse-ne...f-their-owners
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Haven't read it yet, but I'm pretty sure I look like a giant Pez dispenser.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    LOL! Yea, I'm just a fat vending machine.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

took the words right out of my post

hahaha I guess I would be one of those back scratching sticks!

My mare, "Oh goody you are here! Alright it itches right here... ok now there... ok now this spot. ohhhhh yeeeeeeah thats the spot... good person"

Seriously, my mare points to each spot with her nose, and will not stop pointing until I scratch each spot. Usually goes belly, withers, chest, gaskin....

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    hahaha I guess I would be one of those back scratching sticks!

My mare, "Oh goody you are here! Alright it itches right here... ok now there... ok now this spot. ohhhhh yeeeeeeah thats the spot... good person"
    Ditto that. Mine will go stand by the mounting block when I enter my paddock/arena, and sadly I'm trained to get up there and give her good a back/loin/rump scratch. To be honest though, we both enjoy that. It's bonding time.

I have another mare that is exceptionally crabby and does not like people on any terms but her own. Took ten minutes to get a decent ears-forward, front-end photo for her Coggins yetserday because she was more interesting in making ugly faces at the vet assistant. She's always happy to see me at feed time and about 50/50 the rest of the time. She's reached the point of loathing my stepdaughter though, which is unfortunate because she is SD's horse. Poster horse for witchypoo mares. What she often thinks when she sees her people is quite possibly not appropriate for repeating on a public forum.
    Jer 29: 11-13

... just sucker appears to be what our guys envision

<---- Round Bale
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

BAHAHAHHHAAAA!!!! perfect! lol

Cross between a round bale, tractor and water truck...................
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Seriously, any farm hand could have told you what they had to use scientists to find out.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

"horses have the ability to combine auditory and visual information cross-modally to recognise each other."

this was the conclusion of a PRIZE WINNING STUDY?!?!?! And they had to do a whole 'nother study to conclude that

"horses also employ this system for distinguishing between the different humans they know".

rofl. Giant DUR
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

My horse recognizes my voice, even when she can't seem me (I'm usually hiding and sneaking into the tack room to change before she knows I'm there and starts whinying.) Now I think she knows the sounds of my high heels on the barn floor, so now I tiptoe, too. I look like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    My horse recognizes my voice, even when she can't seem me (I'm usually hiding and sneaking into the tack room to change before she knows I'm there and starts whinying.) Now I think she knows the sounds of my high heels on the barn floor, so now I tiptoe, too. I look like an idiot
    My mare recognizes the jingle of my husband's car keys. She doesn't react to anyone else's keys, but if she hears his she's trying to break down her stall door to reach him.

Did you look at that site? They call trailers "floats" in Australia? What say you Polydor.....

My horse looks at me as a stingy hoarder who keeps interesting things to eat in the house. He actually puts his nostril to my mouth to find out what ive been eating. If its something he would have wanted and is not offered a tidbit of it, his ears go slightly back and he turns he head to show me his profile. Kind of a horsey Show Me The Hand thing.

My old horse would have flunked the recognition test, if they go by a horse responding to one person more than another.

Why?

He knows ANY human coming to the barn is a possible feed source.
    Being a smart horse and believing in equal opportunity for all, he nickers to anyone coming to feed.

My horse sees me as a demanding carrot. Which, actually, would be a good name for a rock band...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

No question in my mind:

My horses see me as a female version of Jeeves the Butler, which makes them all Bertie Woosters, so there!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

LoL, you know how a cat knows when they meet a non-cat person and they won't leave them alone?

The barn owner is not a thoroughbred person. She likes my horse but he's kind of a (gigantic) pain in her bottom.

He *loves* her. He is so stinkin' gregarious and cute around her in a way that he never is to me. It's disgusting.

She does feed him but otherwise generally ignores him and it just makes him want her attention more. He will always fall asleep in the crossties... Unless she's riding, then he will stay awake it watch her ride. It's hard to share the arena when he's teaching because all circles oval towards her. Our best 15m canter circles have happened with her standing in the middle... Like the eye candy makes the chore more enjoyable for him.

It's really pretty weird