The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Preakness Alert- I'll Have Another WON!!!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/

click gray bar that says live video
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: updating about race win
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

I'll Have Another won AGAIN! That is two out of the three jewels for the Triple Crown.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

What an exciting finish! Super horse, great jockey.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Does anyone know what was going on with his mane? Looks like he just returned from a hunter show, had his braids removed, changed tack and ran the race.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

How far did he win by???

This is exciting stuff!!!

Don't know about his mane, but I thought it was very striking how similar the two races were run. I'm sure it was not expected that Bodemeister and I'll Have Another would be in exactly the same positions again.

Gee, it's almost as if Walter Farley wrote it...was there an old man named Henry and Tony with an old gray horse somewhere in the back, there...
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I live right down the street from the track and I could hear the crowd. WOOHOO!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

He won by barely a neck! What a race....and he looked so good after it was over!

Thrilling race! He started coming apart down the stretch and losing focus, but Mario did an incredible job of getting him focused again and driving him to win. Gutsy horse but I wish he had a different trainer

Some trainers wet the mane, then braid the night before and take it out for that fuzzy look on purpose. We had a trainer in NM who would make their mane crazy fluffy like this, tail too, checkerboards on the butt, and EVERYTHING purple. They looked like My Little Ponies, cute for kids but totally embarassing for a racehorse.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Does anyone know what was going on with his mane? Looks like he just returned from a hunter show, had his braids removed, changed tack and ran the race.
    Yes. It was a tribute to the late Donna Summer. Didn't your hair look like that during the eighties?

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    Thrilling race! He started coming apart down the stretch and losing focus, but Mario did an incredible job of getting him focused again and driving him to win. Gutsy horse but I wish he had a different trainer

Some trainers wet the mane, then braid the night before and take it out for that fuzzy look on purpose. We had a trainer in NM who would make their mane crazy fluffy like this, tail too, checkerboards on the butt, and EVERYTHING purple. They looked like My Little Ponies, cute for kids but totally embarassing for a racehorse.
    Did I read this right? You don't like the trainer because of the frizzy mane!?!?!?
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    I've never heard that, and don't quite think that's true. A lot of trainers will have their horse's manes braided in the paddock, but the jocks will pull them out on the walk to the gate so that they have some mane to grab! (Hence the frizzy look.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    Did I read this right? You don't like the trainer because of the frizzy mane!?!?!?
    Those two paragraphs were entirely unrelated, as I read it.

There are many other reasons not to like the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    There are many other reasons not to like the trainer.
    What she wrote:

"Gutsy horse but I wish he had a different trainer

Some trainers wet the mane, then braid the night before and take it out for that fuzzy look on purpose. We had a trainer in NM who would make their mane crazy fluffy like this, tail too, checkerboards on the butt, and EVERYTHING purple. They looked like My Little Ponies, cute for kids but totally embarassing for a racehorse."

There might be many reasons, but she only listed the ONE!
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    Gee, it's almost as if Walter Farley wrote it...was there an old man named Henry and Tony with an old gray horse somewhere in the back, there...
    Well, there was a big black gelding named Lava Man who is supposedly teaching him all he knows...

I'm a huge Lava Man fan--he looked great in his new job, and glad that they finally decided to say something about him on the broadcast.

What she wrote:

"Gutsy horse but I wish he had a different trainer

Some trainers wet the mane, then braid the night before and take it out for that fuzzy look on purpose. We had a trainer in NM who would make their mane crazy fluffy like this, tail too, checkerboards on the butt, and EVERYTHING purple. They looked like My Little Ponies, cute for kids but totally embarassing for a racehorse."

There might be many reasons, but she only listed the ONE!
    I also believe those were meant to be two completely different ideas. Paragraph one, her opinion on the race, horse, and trainer. Paragraph two, answering someone's above unrelated question about the mane.

The comment about wishing IHA had a different trainer is most likely related to said trainers track violations, NOT due to how he does up his horses manes.

Umm, totally different subjects, good grief, hence why they were in separate, unrelated paragraphs. I dont like ONeil because of his reputation, which can be elaborated elsewhere.

TheRidge, are you calling me a liar? Lmao I worked on the track with the particular trainer I was speaking of, I know for fact thats what she did and Ive seen other horses walk into the paddock with their manes like this. Yes, most jockeys pull out braids before the race and I dont recall if IHA was braided or not, Im just explaining that some trainers do it on purpose.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT