The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My husband made this claim last night. I don't believe it. He insists that this is true. I mean in general, not a really fit bear racing a an old or sick horse.

So I turn to you the horse experts. I just want to know for myself because once my husband's mind is made up he pretty much sticks with it.

Thanks very much! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

My husband made this claim last night. I don't believe it. He insists that this is true. I mean in general, not a really fit bear racing a an old or sick horse.

So I turn to you the horse experts. I just want to know for myself because once my husband's mind is made up he pretty much sticks with it.

Thanks very much! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

I believe that it would depend on how far they were running, and of course the size of the bear and horse. I have heard that bears can sprint at 40mph, which is roughly how fast the grade 1 horses run. I am not a bear expert, so hopefully someone else will reply. Nor am I a horse expert...

when we were riding in the wind river range in wyoming, i asked the leader.

and he said yes. i said that i thought bears were huge slow lumbering creatures. and i doubted it when he said they could run as fast as a horse.

he said actually with predators, how fast they can go or for how long has very little to do with it. it is not so much the speed of the predator, as how good the predator is at putting himself in a position where he can get the horse.

which, in the bear's case, he said, was very, very good. bears are extremely intelligent and they set themselves up very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I mean in general, not a really fit bear racing a an old or sick horse.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why reading this sentence made me almost snort my coffee this morning - I must be easy to amuse.

What about if the bear had one hand tied behind his back & gave the horse a head start? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

breezymeadow, riverpup must know us well. I can well imagine rp getting lots of posts back about, well, if the bear was a Rambo-bear and the horse was ancient and decrepit with stringhalt, sure, and then the thread would be off and running (like the bear) (or like the horse)and that would be that.

From www.bear.org (who knew?):

"Running Speed: Bears can run uphill and downhill and on flat ground. Lean bears can run faster than 30 miles per hour. Fat bears in their winter coats overheat and tire quickly when running."

This thread illustrates everything I love about this bulletin board. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

A topic I never even knew I cared about, discussed by people with interesting opinions, new information/trivia to store in the brain, and a few good laughs along the way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think it depends on the bear....Grizzly bears can sprint upto 60MPH!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
    -Socrates
    \"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.\"
    -Socrates

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When moving at an all-out run, the black bear has been clocked at 30 mph. This is an animal that can outrun a horse over short distances and can weigh up to 500 pounds. The black bear is also a very good climber and swimmer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Brown bears are extremely strong and have good endurance; they can kill a cow with one blow, outrun a horse, outswim an Olympian, and drag a dead elk uphill.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you surprise a grizzly on a trail and the bear does not immediately either charge or flee, start speaking to the bear in a firm but calm voice, while slowly backing off. Avoid eye contact with the grizzly. Do not scream or yell at the bear. If the bear is approaching, and it�s still a considerable distance from you, climb a tree if you can do so quickly and quietly. But remember, a bear can outrun a horse <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In spite of their weight and short legs, a bear can outrun a horse for about 300 to 400 yards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Bears are quick! I've watched about a million documentaries on Discovery and PBS, I fully believe a bear could outrun a horse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Brown bears are extremely strong and have good endurance; they can kill a cow with one blow, outrun a horse, outswim an Olympian, and drag a dead elk uphill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    AND drag a dead elk uphill?? Oh my! LMAO!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
    "Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

yea, yea, sure. but how do brown bears do in dressage?! hummph. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

I remember going on a hike in grizzly country in the foothills of the Montana Rockies, and reading the bear warning signs. It advised that if I was approached by a bear, I should quickly climb up a stout tree, as high as possible, to at least 12 feet. I glanced around the windblown, hostile landscape, and noted that ALL of the trees were hunched over, with few actually exceeding 8 feet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Actually, Moose pose a much greater threat. Out in Montana I was surprised to learn that Moose attacks on humans consistently outnumber all other animal attacks combined.

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

12,000 Feet... south of Leadville, CO...
    I met a bear on the curve of a trail. We were 20 feet away. Probably a 2 year old. My horse "Coffee" stood like a statue (for about a minute). We could smell him (p.u.!). My heart still pounds when I think of that bear. He turned and ran away. So did Coffee. And it was all I could do to stop him. He went through the trees at a full gallop. Ouch.
    Knowledgeable neighbors told me later (over a stiff drink) the bear would have had no trouble grabbing a horse. But most had only seen a bear run towards a human (or horse) if a cub was around.
    After that I put a cowbell on Coffee and each pack horse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
    Actually, Moose pose a much greater threat. Out in Montana I was surprised to learn that Moose attacks on humans consistently outnumber all other animal attacks combined.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, could a MOOSE outrun a horse? Assuming fit Moose and motivated horse?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>) A tireless
    runner, the moose, Alces alces, can outrun a horse, but its main defenses are its front
    hooves, with which it can deliver powerful kicks, and the male?s enormous antlers. A
    blow from a bull moose?s rack can kill a wolf and will drive off a grizzly bear, and sparring
    between two bulls can be fatal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moose Pics This site says Bison (when angry) can outrun a horse.

Power Animals

Thousands of Animal Facts

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

who would win?

My money's on the moose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When moving at an all-out run, the black bear has been clocked at 30 mph. This is an animal that can outrun a horse over short distances and can weigh up to 500 pounds. The black bear is also a very good climber and swimmer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In spite of their weight and short legs, a bear can outrun a horse for about 300 to 400 yards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, wait. If a horse's top speed (granted a fit racehorse) is 45 miles per hour and a bear's is 30, and a horse is obviously better suited to keep this up over a distance, through trees, etc, where do they get it that the bear can outrun the horse??
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

"This is not a vacation, it's a quest: a quest for fun."
    \"It is good to be fine.\"