The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to teach my horse to urinate on command

I have heard that racehorses are trained to urinate when they hear a whistle. I'd like to teach my guy to pee on command. It's not unusual for him to need to pee about 20 minutes into a ride, but he won't until I dismount and lead him to a grassy spot. Perhaps if he would pee-on-command I could make sure that time was used wisely - there are times I think he needs to go, but we end up just standing outside the arena on the grass.

One potential complication - he is boarded, and I can't be there every day. However, he almost always goes at least once while I'm there.

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks in advance.

I taught my 3 yr. old saddlebred to do this before every ride.Bear in mind he is super easy to teach things to. Everytime, under saddle or in hand, he urinated I whistled some tune. Then said GOOD BOY and give lots of pats. Every single time. When I tried it under saddle, it was always before we got to work- I'd just stop him before we entered the arena and whistle that special tune, pretty soon- he figured it out. And always praise and make a big deal out of it when he does go.

That's how it is done at the track - any time the start to pee, do the same whistle - and gradually they associate it so you can start whistling and they will be encouraged to do it!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

You say he won't go until you dismount ...

Maybe it's not comfortable for him to urinate with a person on his back. It puts horses in a pretty vulnerable position, and there may be more to it.

Not to say whistling isn't a good idea! I hope it works!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

3020HV is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, Marla and Dee - I'll give it a whirl, though my whistlin' chops are pretty rusty!

Wellspotted, you are probably correct about the discomfort, and I don't mind dismounting to help him out. But he's 16.2 and I'm a pipsqueak, so I try not to dismount unless I know he will relieve himself!

Thumbs up reinforce response

find a situation in which the usually pees, putting them back into a freshly bedded stall may do it; when he pees whistle, do this every time you notice him peeing or preparing to pee; if you can start this when they are litle it is fairly easy to do but, you can still do it with an older horse
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

What everyone else said...but about not peeing while you are mounted...I always stand in a two point with my hands on the horse's neck when letting my horse pee under tack. Gets your weight up off his back. Try that after you establish your whistle prompt.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Its called classical conditioning. Ever heard of Pavlov's dog? He could get his dog to salivate by ringing a bell. How? Everytime he presented food to the dog, he rang a bell. Pretty soon, the dog would associate the bell with food and he could get his dog to drool just by ringing a bell. As others have said, you can do this with your horse (not drool, but pee on command...). The same prinicipals are involved. Whistle while your horse pees, and given enough repetitions, soon enough your horse will feel the urge to pee when you whistle. Just like we get the urge to pee when water is running.

Is your horse a OTTB? There's a particular "pee whistle" that race horses are accustomed too. Listen to her whistle at the beginning of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJQZ4aPH8pQ

I should try this, though my horse figured out on his own to pee before loading in the trailer so he wouldn't have to hold it the whole time. First thing he does when he gets off the trailer, pees. He's a smart horse. Amnd he pees in the paddock and not the stall. gosh I love him