The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Default *RESOLVED* "stolen filly.....i need help!"

Hi Everyone,

I have found myself in an unfortunate circumstance and am looking for as much advice as possible.....here is goes:

I sold my mare who was in foal at the time and as her weanling to whom i thought was a reputable breeder who was also the stallion owner. Both the mare and the weanling were sold on payment plans. Ignorant of me to trust a payment plan-sure. Have i learned my lesson-yes!

However, a few months into the contract, payments were not being received, checks were bounced, and phone calls stopped being returned. Soon i found out via the COTH forum that this breeder was in foreclosure, had lied to multiple individuals, had been sued before, and was sought after by many for owed funds or stolen horses. Fearing that my horses would end up in the hands of animal control, i wanted to get them out of there right away.

Long story short, this was not a fight I could win on my own so I had the help of a lawyer, police officers, the head deputy of the agricultural department in the town the breeder resigns in, and a wonderful breeder whom I now call a friend thanks to this ordeal in the area help me out. (Bonus points for meeting wonderful individuals in the process!!!!) Unfortunately after hours of fighting and working on getting my horses back which were rightfully and legally mine as determined so by the legal contract, multiple officers, and lawyers whom had all reviewed and were all in agreement with the fact that I was the rightful owner and the contract was breeched. Sadly, I only was able to leave her property with my mare who was extremely pregnant (ended up foaling 3 days later a very healthy filly!!). I was blatantly lied to about my now yearling being “away at the trainers preparing and getting ready to leave for the horse show.” At the time, unable to walk onto her property, there was nothing else that could be done. My mare was taken to a wonderful farm and I'm thankful for getting her out of that situation, but that still left me without my yearling....

Now, i am at a loss of what to do. She will not return my calls, emails, deleted me from her Facebook account, and has made things very difficult in general. I have had neighbors of hers try to contact her without success. Had she been honest and communicative, i would have been willing to work this out. However, i have had no such luck and have as a result filed for a court order for the removal of my yearling and have also begun the process of suing her. My lawyer wrote up a letter that was certified and sent via Fedex which required a signature upon delivery as well as proof of identification which was accepted. She has received my letter. Has she followed such instructions....no?

I am wondering what else i can do. I do not want to cause more drama or play the blame game. Really, all i want is my horse back safely and in good health. What i am worried about mostly is my yearling ending up in the hands of another person who was unaware of the circumstances and being caught in the middle. She has no right to sell the filly, yet has posted her sale add on not only her personal website, but also on warmblood.com, dream horse, equine now, and youtube. Selling her is illegal, and i wish for the breeders sake she realizes it before she does sell as that would be a FELONY! I played nice, and that got me no where. Im not playing mean now, i’m just playing fair. I have notified all outside sources/websites she is using to market my filly for sale that indeed the horse she is claiming as her own is not her and is in fact STOLEN. They will be removing the adds that the breeder has placed for my filly.

What is there left to do? What would you all do if you were in my situation? ANY and ALL advice is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by rapazzini09; Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

If this is JB. Get with local police, seems like she has enough warrents. Get her A$$ arrested, demand the courts get your filly back.

All I can say is I am SO sorry you are having to go through this!

I have nothing to suggest as I have never gone through it, but from what you say it seems like you have covered all your bases.

I wish you the best of luck in finding her! I hope everything works out!! {{fingers crossed}}

Quote Originally Posted by Proud To Be Spotted View Post
    If this is JB. Get with local police, seems like she has enough warrents. Get her A$$ arrested, demand the courts get your filly back.
    local police have been involved.....tried to get her arrested but it is still a "civil matter" according to the officers. i am in the processing of being granted a court order for the removal of the filly and suing her! The entire department is scared to go within 1o feet of the breeder in fear of being sued as she has threatened to! (I'm not sure how crazy you have to be to threaten a police officer?!?!!?!)

and yes, you guess who....i just didn't want to give out a name as i didn't want to give her anything to fight with.

I will delete my post if you want me to. I'm so sorry.

I like how it took exactly one guess to figure out who you were talking about, that means the word is getting out so hopefully nobody else will have to go through this in the future. Jingles for a happy outcome. Fight like hell.

Sadly, you don't have to give names for people to know exactly who you're talking about. Even though you know where your filly "should" be you might want to list her on NetPosse.com

Make sure everyone knows that she is, in fact, stolen.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Sadly, you don't have to give names for people to know exactly who you're talking about. Even though you know where your filly "should" be you might want to list her on NetPosse.com

This
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Sigh, all I had to read was the third paragraph about the "stallion owner" purchasing the mare and foal on payments to know who it was Why, why is this still happening? Honestly, it is like a car crash taking 3 years to finally come to a complete stop.

Well, if you are in need of a certified Equine Appraisal for your court case, I would be happy to offer my services pro bono. At this point, the entire equine community needs to start rallying together and getting this breeder STOPPED!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

No one had to name names. We all know who you are speaking about. Good luck getting your filly back, I hope it is quickly and uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    ...We all know who you are speaking about. ..
    Not all of us. Who is she talking about?

What a horrible situation... you might be able to contact warmblood.com, dream horse, equine now, to alert them of the situation and possibly prevent the sale of your yearling.

You should be going directly to the person whose property this horse is on, and mention that you will be suing them as well. Or, just go and pick said horse up I doubt an associate of this person will enjoy the fees and headache associated with this ordeal.

It's a small world, if this horse is listed for sale, you should be able to locate it. Whatever happens once the horse is located, well,

Quote Originally Posted by Proud To Be Spotted View Post
    I will delete my post if you want me to. I'm so sorry.

absolutely not! your post was perfect!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    You should be going directly to the person whose property this horse is on, and mention that you will be suing them as well. Or, just go and pick said horse up I doubt an associate of this person will enjoy the fees and headache associated with this ordeal.

It's a small world, if this horse is listed for sale, you should be able to locate it. Whatever happens once the horse is located, well,
    Problem is i can't get a straight answer as to where my horse actually is! and at this point can't even get in contact to find where my horse exactly is!

just going to pick said horse up even if mine is trust passing......ugh!

wish there was an easy option or the person i was dealing with was of sound mind and not totally off the rocker!

Pretend to be a buyer interested in her, or get a friend to do it? Maybe then you'll be able to find out where the horse is? What a terrible situation

thanks simke for the advice!

it is a tragic situation. its a shame to have such lying going on in the us breeding scene.....

How about a private investigator?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you already have a lawyer involved, have him take a look at whatever the state law is that is comparable to replevin. You also have a tort claim for conversion.

Talk to the person who went through something very similar with Grand Saber and/or some of his offspring. Her experience was a true nightmare.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have a friend, who had her horse stolen by someone who was leasing it as a lesson horse. They sold the horse, and continued to tell her it was being used for lessons.

She effectively used netposse to both find the horse and embarrass the heck out of the leasor -so that she crept back into her hole was it was all over.

Netposse is a tool worth considering.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s