The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking I just got my first upper level prospect!

So there's really not much of a point to this thread other than that I'm really excited and had to share somewhere (the bf listens but as horses don't have propellers and turbo engines he's not really as interested ).

The colt is a bay, two year old Dutch warmblood. He's by For Compliment out of a Sandro Hit/Donnerhall/Pik Bube I mare. My trainer and I saw him at DG Bar Ranch when we went to pick up her three year old and I really liked him. Sadly, I'm not independently wealthy though so the odds of me getting a horse like that seemed pretty weak. That was until my BF's parents generously offered to front the money for him and sort of 'sponsor' me.

When I graduated college, I went right into teaching high school and from that into working as an independent contractor for the government. Now that I am living with my BF in Reno (after he was medically retired from the Air Force) and trying to figure out what I really want to do with my life, I've decided to take a stab at being a trainer (I dabbled with it before sort of part time while I was still in Florida but clearly couldn't pursue it full time as I had a sensible, 'real,' full time job. lol). I think that if I continue to work with my current trainer as I am I may actually be able to pull this off which would be awesome. And, if not, I've also been accepted into grad school for the fall so the worst case scenario is that I'll have spent a few years playing with horses while I finish my MBA.

In any event, my boyfriend's parents are amazingly supportive and sponsored this colt so that I'd have a nice prospect to bring up the levels. I've currently got my little 14.2 hand QH (who is probably the best horse I'll ever own) schooling third level but he's older and we're having to do quite a bit of maintenance so I think that realistically this will be his last year to really hit the shows (which is sad because it's just been since the start of this year that I've been working with my current trainer and actually making a push for the rated shows). I did finally get to show him at his first rated show at the end of April and despite being lame the day before the show (hock arthritis acting up) and then pulling his shoe as we trotted around the outside of the ring, we still managed to get 60+% on 2.3. I was so proud of him. *pictures below if interested*

So anyhow, sorry to ramble, I'm just absurdly excited about it all. I feel so fortunate to have these opportunities right now and am really looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Here are some pictures of the colt, his name is Willie. Also, a very short video taken when I first saw him. I stopped filming so that I could stand and stare at him. lol Doh. It's horrible but it gives you an idea how he moves.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=cc5a771314

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB9Mn6QXbuM

Also, here are some pictures of Woody, my QH, at the rated show. I really wish I'd shown him more seriously before now.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=9800ba2feb
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

Wow. He kind of defines "floaty trot"!

Wow! Good looking boy, and great movement. I'll have to friend you on Facebook so I can follow you two.
    Sheilah

the fact that one is "woody" and the other is "willie" could be cause for concern...

good thing I've known you for 15 years!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you guys!!

Any FlightCheck, my next one will be named Richard.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Any FlightCheck, my next one will be named Richard.
    haha... Dick.

I'm thinking he may not be so nice.

Feel free to send him North, I'd be happy to deal with him.

Seriously though, he's awesome! Have fun with him!

I don't blame you for being excited. It's a wonderful thing your SO's parents are doing for you. Good luck!
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique