The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
    We had one who was euthanized a few weeks ago (the didn't know she had broken two bones in her ankle because she'd barely limped on it at all until the next day). I cried, I always cry. It was on a Friday night and I felt so bad that no one was with her, waiting for John. And I didn't even know the horse, but I did have a rather hard time leaving until she was picked up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Awww...that is so sad. I cannot stand the though of animals dying. I would be a wreck too, and I can understand you not wanting to leave. I'd feel the same way.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

What I would really like is a viking funeral pire.... Oh well.

My horse, Jeff has been with me for 10 years. He's turning 19 next year. He seems to be doing fine but the day is drawing closer. If I don't go before him then I know I will have to watch him die. I really don't know what I will do when that day comes. He's been with me all through my years as a teenager. He's been through everything with me it seems. He is my best friend. When I say that I mean I don't have any friends and he is it. He and my cat. She if 5.

I don't know what I'll do. The question is, will I be able to continue living? Will I be able to continue speaking? Getting out of bed? Eating? thinking? I don't know. I have never had a boy friend (I'm 20) and although I've had one or two best friends they have come and gone with the tides of their hormones. I have no siblings and only one living grand parent. I do have my wonderful parents. They , too are growing older. I worry for my father who is rather sedintary.

The truth is my constant has always been my horse and my cat. They have always been there for me. I don't believe in an after life.

I couldn't send Jeff to be rendered even though I know it doesn't matter about the body. But to me it matters. I would have him creamated and perhaps I could bury his ashes under a beautiful tree. Maybe I'll be buried there, too.

Or I don't know if this can be done. I'm sure it would be expensive but he's worth it to me. It might seem sick but I wouldn't mind having him reconstrcuted into a skelton (like the kind they have in vet clinics and in anatomy courses). Why? I know I'm sick. But I am a biology major and actually skeletons usually creep me out but I find the horse skelton to have a particular beauty to it. I can't describe it. It's almost dragon-like.

Now I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by khobstetter:
    ...the body laying and rotting in the ground after burial or the body being burned up in cremation is not the most beautiful/peaceful picture either. Once the horse is gone the disposal really only matters to us.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU for saying this, Kathy. My mare had to be rendered, and I was absolutely, totally torn up by it. I didn't even know cremation was an option until the livestock removal lady told me she could take the body to Cornell for an extra fee. But she said we had to call ahead, because they only do cremations on certain days (when someone is there to run the machine). I was ready to go $1600 into debt when I called, but there were no cremations that day. So Lady had to go to the renderers. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I made the removal lady tell me what was going to happen. She said, "Are you sure you want to know?" I said, "Yes, please." She told me that the truck would take the body to the rendering plant, where it would be placed in refrigeration overnight. Then it would be processed for fertilizer, and body oils that are used in makeup. She told me the meat is NOT used (not USDA-approved after death, even for pet food). I had already clipped a piece of mane, and I kept vigil while her body was winched onto the truck. There were two other horses in there, which made me happy because, in life, Lady always hated to be alone. The whole process was actually very slow and gentle. The woman who did the removal was very kind and did everything with dignity. She and her husband own a small livestock removal service in North Jersey, and I found both of them were wonderful to deal with...very kind.

I would have done anything to have been able to bury Lady, but the barn owner wouldn't allow any more burials on the property...she no longer had the equipment, and the surrounding land had been built up since the last horse burial, so she was justifiably concerned about the neighbors getting upset.

Since Lady's death, my two elderly cats have also died. I buried them myself in the back yard. To be honest, I don't like the thought of them rotting in the ground any more than I like the thought of my horse being processed. No matter which way you look at it, a dead body is a dead body. I think it's nicer to put them in the ground...but with Lady, that wasn't an option for me unless I'd trailered her to a friend's farm for the euthanasia. I refused to stress her out with a trailer ride and take her to a strange place to die.

I am at peace with all the choices I had to make. That doesn't mean I'm not still sad. No matter happens after a loved one dies, the grief will still be there. I have come to realize that the only way to put your heart at ease is to do the best you can for them while they are still alive, and in working out the details of their passing.

Having said all this, the next time I have to euthanize a horse (if the timing is flexible enough), I will prepare the funds and make the plans for cremation.

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"Can't sleep...clowns will eat me...Can't sleep...clowns will eat me..." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

...I can identify with not "having anyone" other than your horse and cat. In the last year, I have lost my beloved horse (who was my whole life) and both of my cats, whom I'd had since age 7 (I'm now 24). How do you go on living? I don't know...you just do. I was an absolute wreck for two weeks, and it took about a month before I began to feel human again. It's been over a year and I recently realized that I am still grieving. Which is okay, because it WAS a monumental loss. Losing my cats was just icing on the cake. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I can go on living because I know I tried to do the best I could for all of them. My vets (equine and feline) were all praise about the care my animals received...and I know both of them well enough to know they meant it.

Unlike you, I DO believe in an afterlife. My faith has given me so much strength.

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"Can't sleep...clowns will eat me...Can't sleep...clowns will eat me..." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

Reading all of this has made me a little wet in the eye myself..

Coreene, how old are the Children to which you refer?

99.9% of the time I would say that Honesty is the best policy BUT, after reading this may I humbly suggest lying?

Childhood and adolescence are filled with so many rude awakenings. I know you want to do the right thing but no matter how you package it the subject of mortality SUCKS!

I like the "Christmas Tree Farm story" approach. I know it's fantasy but I just don't think there is a nice, easy or soft way to cushion such a hard blow- to a child (hell, for that matter,-even a grown man).

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

The Bumpkinette always thought that Bumpkin ran away to live in the Cascade Mountains. Which you can see on a nice day.
    I don't know where she got the idea, but for many years we would look for Bumpkin when driving through the Mountains.
    And on a sunny day when I can see the Cascades, I can see and feel Bumpkin running free.

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"

When my most beloved appy mare was put down in 1999 at the ripe old age of 35, I ended up having to have her "hauled away" because where she was living (at my parent's house), burial was illegal. If they had owned a large place where the neighbors weren't so nosy, though, we might have tried to surreptitiously bury her. She was with me for 28 years, and I had always thought there was no way the "man with the truck" was going to take her away when it was time.

So I had looked into cremation, and found that the Marion duPont Scott Equine Med Center in Leesburg, VA offered this service (via a crematorium in Frederick, MD). This was actually arranged through the guy who, at that time, operated the Center's horse ambulance. The expense was not high either (around $300), but it had to be scheduled beforehand according to the crematorium's hours of operation and requirements, which was that the animal had to be hauled in immediately after death. This meant that the Med Center hauler guy had to either be there at the time of euthanization or arrive within minutes afterwards.

Since my mare's health had been failing, and I knew her demise was eminent, I arranged to have her put down and subsequently cremated on July 7. However, late on the night of July 4th (a Sunday), she really took a turn for the worse, and I knew there was no way I could let her suffer for several days. The weather was horribly hot (100+ degrees), and that was what really took it's toll on her. First thing Monday morning, the vet came and put her to rest. Unfortunately, because July 5th (a Monday) was the official July 4th holiday, the crematorium was closed, and Valley Vet Protein (the local renderer) was not making pick ups. However, the Med Center's guy was able to come out and pick her up with his truck and trailer, an open, high-sided trailer with a winch. He was very sympathetic and understanding, knowing how much I hated to have her sent to the renderer rather than the crematorium.

However, as others have said, when a horse is no longer living, the body is, indeed, just a shell. She was no longer in there; her spirit had departed, and I was by her side to see her off on her spiritual journey and let her know, one last time, that she had been the love of my life. That, I believe, was the most important thing; not what happened to her body afterwards. I did have presence of mind enough to snip a locket of her mane before the vet arrived.

Sure, I would have preferred cremation, but things don't always work out as planned. I did the best I could for her, as she had done for me for all those many happy years we had together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyGirl.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	5238  
    Equus Keepus Brokus

We had buried two of our horses on our old farm but did not opt for that on this farm when we had to face the loss of a young horse and the following year a mare. Here in NJ the fine is $10,000 if you do it and the DEP finds out about it. Even if you can do something like this under the cover of night - all you need is someone mentioning it to someone else and then a horrible loss can turn into a bigger nightmare. The horse has to be dug up again and ...well it's far worse than sending a carcass to the renderer.

We looked into cremation but there are NO facilities within a reasonable distance. And none we could find that would do it on a few hours notice. And you CANNOT keep the carcas lying around for any length of time.

I believe we loved them and cared for them in their lives and stayed with them in their death and their souls left peacefully and are always around us. I agree with Fred on this - souls leave bodies and the body isn't what matters when they pass on.

A driving tip: Never park next to any truck from "Valley Proteins" (or any company name which includes "Proteins"). And steer clear on the highways. The smell will freak out your horses (I found out the hard way). You will probably throw up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Caros Folks:

Coreene, how old are the Children to which you refer?

99.9% of the time I would say that Honesty is the best policy BUT, after reading this may I humbly suggest lying?

Childhood and adolescence are filled with so many rude awakenings. I know you want to do the right thing but no matter how you package it the subject of mortality SUCKS!

I like the "Christmas Tree Farm story" approach. I know it's fantasy but I just don't think there is a nice, easy or soft way to cushion such a hard blow- to a child (hell, for that matter,-even a grown man).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since my son lives on the farm, he quite simply was there for the burial of the 2 who were buried. His pony that I had put down and taken away, he was not there for that. He said his goodbyes that morning and had to go to school.

He is still asking how long before we can dig up bones for Chrissy (the first pony, also his). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] BOYS! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .

I keep putting it off though...since I truly am not sure how long it would take to get to bones only.

Mel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by yd II
    A driving tip: Never park next to any truck from "Valley Proteins" (or any company name which includes "Proteins"). And steer clear on the highways. The smell will freak out your horses (I found out the hard way). You will probably throw up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's for sure. When my gelding was the Med Center in Leesburg recovering from colic surgery, I had him out for his daily walk "around back" when the V.P. truck showed up to make it's pick-up. Good thing my horse was upwind, but that truck driver had to stop for a minute or two to dry heave as he dumped the contents of those 50-gallon drums into the truck. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Sure made me doubly glad that my horse was still alive and (getting) well.

And once, while out on the trail, I was riding a friend's horse, and we had to pass a dead deer. Both horses freaked something awful when they got a whiff of that poor thing.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Saddle-Fitter-not sure why you quoted me in you last post?

I'm guessing that from your post you were demonstrating that kids can handle the truth and my suggestion was "off-base"?

If so, that's cool. My suggestion may not be for EVERY kid. Yours sounds like a special one though. You are quite lucky.

I guess I'm just kind of a chicken in that respect. I have a hard time telling anyone about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny

Well, I was mostly just pointing out that lying isn't an option for all kids.

It wasn't a jab or a criticism, just an observation with my data set of one.

I''ve planned on cremating my horse when the time comes (hopefully very far in the future). I've just been wondering tho- how big a box or urn are we talking about?

I've cremated all my pets and macabre as it seems I have urns of all sizes around my bedroom. I move so often I just can't bring myself to bury them in one state knowing that I might be leaving them behind in a year or two.

So, is a cremated horse sort of an entry hall size urn (as opposed to a mantle/bedside table urn)?

TXJumper,

When I was looking into having my mare cremated, I was told that the remains would be returned in a 5-gallon-sized covered container.

I, too, have a cremated kitty that resides in my house, and always will since she was an indoor-only kitty who was terrified of the outdoors. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Equus Keepus Brokus

especially for me: I'm older and my horses are young. If they live to 30 years, I'll be in my 80s. Maybe that's just lucky... we can all go together.

After reading ALL the posts, yes, I agree with everyone else: Christmas Tree story.

Yes, I agree with the "Circle of Life" kinda thing. Personally, I'd love to be buried in a pine box with a tree on top of me. Its a way of "going on."

I'm sorry about the poster that doesn't believe in an afterlife. Part of sweetness of life is the mystery of death. I like to think of my precious Mr. Magoo (kitty) and Squeeky (kitty) waiting for me.

Mostly, though, I'm just glad I'm growing older, hopefully with a little grace and dignity, and maybe I won't have to worry as my horse/kitty/dog family and I will kinda all go together. It's sad, but really, a good kind of sad.

Just a thought...
    KT

Proud member of the SunnieFlax Clique
    P.S. Only 85 days till I pick up my youngster. Yahoo.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

www.symranch.com
    TB Sporthorse Sales and Breeding

Khobsetter

If the animals you are leaving out for the coyotes have been euthanized by drugs then that can poison animals feeding on the carcass and kill them as well!! If those animals happen to be protected by the endangered species act such as bald eagles, your hunt could be fined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SymRanch:
    http://www.lifegem.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, maybe I'm sick, but I think that's really nice! I'm just not entirely clear how they get the carbon. It is also Expensive!!

I think it would be a really nice way to remember a horse or person though!!
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

... he was 25, I was his for 18 years, and I loved him dearly. His health started to really decline and he 'told' me in his way it was time for him to go.

I was with him when we put him down, I stroked him and talked to him and cried until he was gone. He wasn't afraid, it was very quick and peaceful. I did not have the option to have him buried, so he went on the truck. I feel that once his 'soul' left him (and I saw when it happened), he wasn't my sweet old gelding anymore and what happened to his body really didn't matter to him.

I still miss my dear old friend but I don't regret doing what I had to do. It was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do in my life but I did what I had to do.

Katy, owned and loved by Feather, the Spotted Wonderhorse
    ** Member of the Appaloosa Clique **
    ** Get Spotted on an Appaloosa **

** Get Spotted on an Appaloosa **