The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LMH:

If it is a planned euthanasia, you can always ask at a local vet school if you can donate the horse...they can then allow him to be used for a procedure...now this is NOT as awful as it sounds.

The horse will be tranq'ed like a normal surgical procedure, and intern can then perform a procedure he needs to graduate-then they simply do not revive the horse....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMH, this is a very good option, I agree completely. However, it wouldn't be for me. For some reason the thought of my horse lying on that surgery table still alive but not for long just - well, I just can't bear to think about it.

I will tell you I worked at a large equine surgical facility and this was done once (that I know of) and the entire staff was EXTREMELY respectful of the horse and the owners. It is a very, very selfless thing to do.

I guess part of my aversion has to do with my brother's death three years ago. He had a MASSIVE brain tumor, and opted for surgery. He was a bright guy and I am certain he knew he wouldn't survive. I really and truly believe he gave himself to science.

Thanks for bringing this option up, hopefully it will raise awareness.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
    -Louisa May Alcott
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

How much if you DO want the ashes back?????

LHM - good idea - I've wondered if UGA accepted donations but I figured they had enough dead horses (not to sound trite, but not all survive when in vet hosp care...). Perhpas I'll check into it. Hey, if Gambit's body can teach a vet-schooler anything to help other horses, I'm all for it. Same reason I'm an organ donor. I think Gambit would want to be one too...or cadaver for teaching...he has a good, caring heart!

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

~~ Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique~~

They don't even like to do cremations. I had to push them to get a quote for that and only got them to commit to "more than $1,000". I didn't keep pushing for more specifics because I'm really not into another item (the urn) to dust in my house. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] I'm embarassed to have said that, but it is true. I spend my time and energy on the living, and just carry my dead friends' memories with me as I go. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As cornball as it sounds, they really do live in my heart.

wow... a lady at my barn recently had to have her horse put down... the cost if she wanted the ashes back (mixed with other animals though) was about $100, if she wanted the ashes of only her horse back, I think it was $300. I could be off by a bit, I'll try and find out tonight...

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

really YOUR horses?????? How'd ya know?????

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

~~ Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique~~

The cremation service that our vet clinic uses for small animals will do a private cremation of your horse for $1500.00, I believe that includes the picking up of the body, and I know it includes shipping back the 40lbs or so of ashes.

Heck, thats more than my first horse cost! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pds:
    I find it interesting that some of you assume that I have never been through this before. Well, I have. Last time was about 4 years ago. Rented a back hoe for $250.00 and dug the hole myself. Placed some hay in the bottom of the grave and burried my horse wrapped lovingly in his stable blanket. Sure it cost me a little money but the peace of mind I have is priceless.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Florida that is simply not an option. We are at sea level- thre is no way to bury a horse properly (without leaving a mound). If you were to get a deep enough hole without hitting water, you would contaminate the water table. MY pony is buried- under a large mound hidden way way back in the woods because the fines are astronomical. My horse is boarded now. Where do you think he would be buried? Under the patio at my condo?

Thank you Caros Folks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I honestly think it was as hard for me as it was for the owners. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Thank you for starting what has turned into probably the most interesting topic I've ever read on this board.

To go back (wayyyyyy back) to your original question, I think it really depends on each kid. For instance, if it is a lesson kid just asking in passing then the christmas tree farm may be the way to go. I know kids that ask 95 questions in under a minute, and aren't really looking for a full blown answer at that stage anyhow....

But, if it's a kid you know well (ie cousin, niece, someone who looks up to you), and you know they have a specific reason for asking this question - maybe they just lost that favorite school horse. Then it may be better to go into a little more depth.

Your posts always seem to show that you have a great ability to figure out the best answer to each situation, so I have no doubt that you'll have the best answer for each time this tough question is asked. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I remember the 'truck' coming to our barn to pick up a sainted ex-grand prix horse who broke his leg. We all sat inside bawling since we knew what was going on outside. But I am so thankful that my boss/trainer didn't make us workers be more involved if we weren't comfortable. He took that responsibility himself, and I didn't really appreciate how hard that must have been for him (the horse was LOVED by all) until this discussion.

I still think the horses knew what was going on. They were all on edge until the truck pulled out, then unusually quiet for the rest of the day.....

Once again, thank you for bringing this up,

Alixe

A couple of questions, please. Has anyone had a necropsy done? What led you to request one?

And if you sent your horse to a vet school, did you have prior contact with the vet school? Who did you talk to when you made the arrangements?

I ask because this is an eminent concern for me. My mare has had chronic liver failure for at least two years. Two months ago when her GGTP level reached 1199 (35 is upper limit of normal), I stopped riding her. My vet feels certain she has a liver tumor, but has no idea why she is still alive. Just last week two people at my barn asked why I wasn't riding her.

I can only speak to the Vet School question.

I am going through the process right now of seeing if we can donate our dear boy to the vet school for a procedure to be done and him and then simply not revived. Hubby and I talked about it last night and he thinks, like I do, that it will be hard, but at least a useful end for our wonderful horse.

I am comfortable working with this vet school since I have taken my equine, canine and feline friends there for years for all their medical needs. It would be harder to do if I didn't know that they do care for animals. If you don't have a contact at a local vet school, you can ask for recommendations for them from clients.

Here is the email I sent to an equine vet I know at the vet college and her response:

At 09:11 AM 11/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
    &gt;Dr. Sponseller,
    &gt;
    &gt;I have a horse that I dearly love that is almost blind. He is doing well at the moment, but I think the day is coming for him. I am considering donating him to the vet school, for a student to perform a procedure on him and then simply not revive, or some similar scenario. I love this horse. I also believe in the scientific and learning process.
    &gt;
    I would require that he go into surgery the day I bring him in (that we schedule ahead of time) and that measures are taken to ensure that he
    suffers no pain. Since he is blind, I do not want him to be confused in a strange stall overnight or even for more than an hour or two.
    &gt;
    &gt;Would the Vet School be able to guarantee him these things? Would he be useful to the program?
    &gt;
    &gt;Camie

and her response:

Camie,

I forwarded your message to Dr. Reinertson, the senior surgeon and head of the equine department.
    Thanks for considering this donation.
    Beatrice

So that is where it stands now.