The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working student/barn manager housing?

Sooooo.... Built a lovely big studio apt above the barn for a future barn manager/working student.... And hubby rented it to the son of a friend of a friend for about a third of what it costs me to get the chores done..... Thought the renter would not last long but it's been a year and frankly he's got such a freakin' cushy deal I wouldn't move either!

Anyone had any luck with using a camper/rv for housing? I know one barn not far from here for which it seemed to work quite well.... And someday the renter will leave, we'll have the apt back and can sell the trailer..... Or not......

Just brainstorming!

Jennifer

If you are ready to hire the working student, I would give the renter notice and have them move. Or are they in the middle of a year-long lease or something?

Used trailers are not worth much.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Get the trailer. Tell the friend's friend's son HE can live there and use the nice place for your WS.

Well, that would be nice but there are suburban politics involved... I think hubby enjoys playing magnanimous lord of the manor for his friends' friends...... Sigh.....

And if we booted the tenant for a w/s who didn't last/work out, I would never hear the end of it. Good lord....!

Used trailers aren't, indeed, worth much.... Also don't cost much....!

Jennifer

Increase rent to the market rate AND get a trailer?

If you can find a decent used trailer that would be a good idea vs. new, but I agree that you should charge market rate for the rent (unless already are--not 100% clear on that). I mean you have the infrastructure cost, eventual wear and tear, and have to pay taxes on it...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Believe me I would.... I'm going to try to get hubby to agree to raise the rent this summer (end of year's tenancy), but it is about 1/2 market value now so I really don't think he's going to let me double it. (they are paying $450/month for a 1400 sf studio loft, fully furnished and including electric which runs me about $125/month, water is free, they pay gas heat which was $65 in February which tenant thought was excessive). Slightly sketchy mobile homepark around the corner is around $600/month, no furnishings or utilities..... For comparison.

Anyway, meanwhile I'm looking at trailers on craigslist and there are lots in the $3-5k range advertised as no leaks and all amenities functional.......

Jennifer

Agee definitely put a price hike in. Can always use the taxes, insurance, etc costs are up so rent has to go up excuse to keep the political ramifications down

I would think a decent camper would work fine for a WS, but a manager might want a little nicer accomodations
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Campers ...either tag-a-longs or 5th wheels make great homes!
    Im in a 5th wheel and love it -- my farm is an hour south of the track and just too far to travel --- I didnt know how well this life-change would work so bought the camper for several reasons but its been perfect !! Even year round in Pa, its cozy warm in the winter/sure, I had to upgrade some insulations. There are some models specifically suited to colder climates.

Id just leave your husbands politics alone --- sounds like for whatever reason, they are working for him -- horses work best when hubbies are happy. Campers are common around tracks so dont think anything less of offering one for housing. You can move it to offer privacy for everyone, even space for their (fenced) pet or a garden for outdoor relaxing..

Its a great idea but I would look through your local RV dealership first to get an idea of what kind is best suited for your needs, what they cost new, averages for used, then, if you decide to buy privately, you are somewhat armed with what is and isnt a good deal. Oh, while at the dealership... you must take a look at the *park models*.... oh, oooooo lovely! (and $$$)
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Start practice shooting, every morning, around 6am. That should get rid of your tenant soon enough.