The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bummed about my Butet....

This saddle is only 5 years old and I bought it brand new. The leather is already starting to wear away and tear around where the skirt and twist meet on the saddle.

I take very good care of it and only use Butet leather products to clean and condition. Not sure what to do now. I know I need to get the seat replaced but just can't fathom spending that much money after already paying close to 5k for this saddle. I had hoped it would hold up for a long time. I figured maybe 10 years down the road the seat would need to be replaced but not this soon!

Anyways, needless to say, I am bummed out!

That's not typical I don't think. I've had a Butet (that I purchased new in 02), for 10 years and doesn't need anything replaced. I rode 5-6 days a week for most of the time with maybe only 8 months off somewhere in there. I did have to condition it several times a week and would put balsam over the conditioner once a month. Not sure if that would help.

Do you wear jeans when you ride?

I never ride in jeans, I have only ever ridden in riding pants/half chaps.

The saddle did get soaked while riding in the rain at a horse show a couple of months ago. I let it dry and then conditioned the leather. I am wondering if this has something to do with it.

Though getting drenched is not the best thing for a saddle it should in no way make it start dying if you properly treated it after the drenching.

If you don't ride in jeans this shouldn't happen, I would be very unhappy. Have you tried calling Beval to see what they say? Getting caught in the rain won't cause this to happen.

I have a '99 Butet that has clearly (given the hideous water spots on the seat and knee rolls) gotten wet more than once. I bought it used, so I can't vouch for its care before that, but I don't think it was babied. But my seat/twist area is fine. I think you should get in touch with Beval and see what they'll do for you.

I would call Beval. That seems pretty odd that its so worn out at only 5 years old. My Butet is 13 years old and in very good condition still, and has had a lot of use.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Butet seats are known to wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenyatta View Post
    Should you be ing when OP is ?

Thanks so much everyone for all the advice.

Can I still call Beval even if I did not purchase the saddle directly through them? I purchased it at a horse show from a tack store.

Zenyatta - I know Butet seats are known to wear out but never heard of one wearing out at only 5 years old. This is my dream saddle, I worked really hard to get it and I just love riding in it.

Oh wow! That is a bummer, and quite unusual for a butet that's been properly cared for. Beval might tell you to contact the saddlery that you purchased it from, and go from there. Or Beval will ask you to send it in so they can assess the damage themselves to see if this wear is due to a manufacturing defect, or improper care/use. I did some searching, but I couldn't find warranty info on the Butet. I would call Beval first.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Sure, but not to the degree of needing patching after 5 years of good care.

OP, I'd talk to the tack shop from which you purchased the saddle. If you bought it new, and you don't get satisfaction from the tack shop, call Beval and see if they can do something for you.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

But not after only 5 years of excellent care and no riding in jeans it shouldn't.

I would also contact Butet directly if Beval can't help you? Not sure if they are reachable but I would think an on line search would pull up a contact?

Contact them directly. I have a butet I purchased used (I love love love love love riding in it) and wanted the proper information on model etc. I sent them an email with the serial number and they got right back to me with the information. I'm sure they would be willing to work with you on a product having issues being substandard. Unfortunately, no matter what the product, there are bound to be a few lemons.

Sorry you dream saddle is being a nightmare
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

How much wear is there? That spot does sort of scuff a bit but it should not be wearing thru. If you have tears, that is a big problem, just scuffs, not no much as that's pretty normal.

Just call Beval-they actually do want to help people with their products, even if you don't buy it from them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Butet. That does seem very unusual. Mine is a '95 model and I DO ride in jeans (although am trying to break the habit). Definitely give Beval a call.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Agreed that some wear around that area is pretty normal. How much use has this saddle gotten in 5 years (how many rides per week on average)?

Can you post a photo of the damage?

There are visible tears in the leather on both sides of the twist, about 1 inch long on each side. I will try and get some pictures later today.

I ride 6 days a week, 2 horses each time.