The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need advice/guidance...Comfy saddles for the Boyfriend....

Ok so my bf is a bit larger and taller than me. Lad carries him well at a walk which is about all I foresee them doing in the next 6-9 months.

Before we borrowed a synthetic western saddle. But BF reports that it was a hair uncomfortable.

I have a longer and larger xc saddle he may try but I still anticipate it may be a little rough on his "sensitive" spots.

So should we aim to find a used/cheap Endurance saddle? Western? Australian stock???

I just don't want him to be uncomfy in his seat and thus unlikely to keep riding with me on the rare occasions he does come out.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Pic of him and Lad here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpE55...&feature=g-upl

Thanks

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

He follows directions nicely!

My personal opinion is to get him a decent western saddle, something substantial and secure. I think it's reasonably important to protect the ego of a grown man learning to ride-it doesn't take a lot of falling off or being out of control or embarrassed to cure a guy of wanting to learn to ride. A solid Rocking R, Circle Y or Crates western saddle will look stereotypically masculine and make HIM look good and feel secure and confident. The horse is being sweet and good but BF has a lot of leg leftover on him, a not as secure saddle is going to leave him feeling like he's sitting on a rail. A breast collar would be a good addition too, for everyone's sake. A substantial western will give him more to sit on, if you know what I mean... A good one will be comfortable and you have a lot to choose from. The synthetics can be great but I also find them uncomfortable where my westerns are generally ok.

I know there are a lot of people on here that might disagree but if the goal is to help him enjoy riding and be comfortable, that's my suggestion. If he has a burning desire to develop a proper seat and balance then by all means there are english saddles that fit the bill. But if the idea is to keep him safe and happy... there's a reason dude ranches use western saddles...

Two nice guys you have there!

Sure, I would go with big comfy western to feel secure and gain confidence! Circle Y (which my husband loves, but I STILL have my eye on), Crates (although I hate mine, a lot of people love them), Bily Cook, someone mentioned Colorado saddlery which is also great, but can't really tell from the pic but it looks like that saddle is too small and he is kind of "crunched in". See what he thinks when he sits in something larger. The brand might not be as important as the fit (for both him and the horse).

Nice that he comes out!!

I was thinking the same as lilitiger2: the saddle in the pix looks way too small for him, and that's never comfy. Get ye both to a knowledgeable tack shop that can fit him in a western saddle if that's what he wants to ride in. Good luck!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

PS Keep in mind that western and english seat sizes are measure differently and five different 17" saddles can fit five different ways! Just keep trying different ones until you find one that's "just right".
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I did go back last night and look over the saddle he rode in closely.

I am told it's a girls saddle and possibly a 15" or 16". (Insert raucous laughter here)

I agree he'd do best with a western saddle. We are gonna go to a local place that sells a lot of western stuff and at least let him sit in some and see how it feels.

Really anything in the correct size range should feel better than the one he rode in.

But we'll see what he likes and what we can afford to acquire for his part time riding.

Another question..... what's the correct name for the type of western saddle for trails? I am guessing not a roping or barrel racing thing. But Outside of English tack I need some guidance.

Thanks

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Trail should cover what you're after. Even some roping saddles can work though they tend to be heavier and "more" saddle than you probably need.

barrel saddles are lighter and secure but they have that doinky horn that even I can't get over, way too much interference if you don't need it to run home from the 3rd barrel!

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/trailsad.html

Tons to look at on that site.

A 16" should do the trick-that website is helpful for helping with fitting the horse too. The brands that were mentioned on this thread should hold their value if he ends up losing interest...