The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tack Shop in NYC?

I have clients who ate visiting from Chile. They are staying in Manhattan. Any suggestions?

There is only one tack shop in NYC, Manhattan Saddlery, and personally I don't think its worth a visit unless they happen to be in the neighborhood. They do carry a bunch of high end breeches and some nice tops by Pikeur, etc., but other than that they haven't changed their shelves in ages. The same bridles and other strap goods have been hanging downstairs for years, same with their grooming products, such as they are, nothing has been replaced or updated. I walk in about once every 6 months and aside from a few new shirts each season everything is the same.

I agree with BAC -- if you are going to be near Gramercy, you might as well stop into Manhattan Saddlery (on 24th between Park and Lex), but it likely isn't worth a special trip.

Last time I was there they had an OK book selection, and I got a cool Horze duffel bag from there that I like (it has a section on the bottom for boots so they stay separate from your clothing, and it has wheels and a retractable handle, like an airplane carry-on). But the store's selection of tack is very limited and disappointing.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

If they have use of a car, Beval is in New Canaan, CT, but I think it's too far from the train station to walk.

There's always Hermes in NY

Hinderella -- how long is the drive to New Canaan?
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

There are no other options - Manhattan Saddlery is the only game in town but I won't shop there anymore - poor selection out of date -overpriced - no return policy to speak of.

New Canaan is about an hour and ten minutes on the train, if you catch the express. Beval's is a very short walk from the station.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    New Canaan is about an hour and ten minutes on the train, if you catch the express. Beval's is a very short walk from the station.
    And the restaurant next door has the best burgers and sweet potato fries ever!

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

I was under the impression Manhattan Saddlery was recently closed...could be wrong. Good riddance, in my book. Bad selection, and the owner is a complete moron who is rude and most likely has never actually seen a horse (except maybe taken a walk-trot lesson back in the day at Claremont....)
    Hermes on fifth avenue in the 60s is worth a visit and in a touristy area anyways. $115 soft brush, anyone?

Edit: I could be wrong, since their website is still up...either way, so not worth it.
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

1 members found this post helpful.

New Canaan has a row of cute non-horse shops, too, if they want a little shopping excursion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
    I was under the impression Manhattan Saddlery was recently closed...could be wrong. Good riddance, in my book. Bad selection, and the owner is a complete moron who is rude and most likely has never actually seen a horse (except maybe taken a walk-trot lesson back in the day at Claremont....)
    Hermes on fifth avenue in the 60s is worth a visit and in a touristy area anyways. $115 soft brush, anyone?

Edit: I could be wrong, since their website is still up...either way, so not worth it.
    They were open as of March of this year. We went to Eataly (an NYC must!) and then wandered to Manhattan Saddlery since we were nearby (and because it's a running joke that I'll manage to find a tack shop anywhere I go). It's a fairly large shop so they must be making some money but the stock was pretty tired. There was on saddle pad I liked and that was reasonably priced, but that was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacique View Post

It was open a couple of weeks ago, I didn't go in but I called about something. I think you mean Mike? He is rude and obnoxious and knows almost nothing about horses but not the owner. The woman that owns it is rarely there, although her son occasionally is. I would not be surprised if it were to close though, they just can't be doing enough business to make it worth while.

Tarheel, I think that the drive is about an hour and a half, but it can vary greatly with the traffic. Others have posted here in the interim that the train is an option, and sometimes that's easier. New Canaan's very pretty, very much the typical small town, high end Connecticut experience, and would make for a nice day trip.
    If you have a car available for a trip, you may also be able to catch a show or a polo meet on a weekend.
    If you're going to be in CT, send me a PM, maybe we can meet & say hello.

Thank you for the replies. I sent my clients the link so they can make a decision for themselves.

There are quite a few in NJ. Though it might be better to drive - there are zip cars in the city which are super reasonable.

There's also a Bevals in Peapack Gladstone (it's also down the road a bit from the Gladstone station, but I think you have to change at Summit to go from Penn station to Gladstone - it's not a direct route). There's Dover Saddlery out near Bridgewater and Horseman's Outlet in Clinton. There's Coach Stop in Bedminister, but it's pretty small.

Apparently there's a french sounding saddlery place out in Palisades Park called Jean Michel Devoucoux Saddlery -that's probably about a 20 min drive out of the city without traffic?

I have not been in years but The Riding Shop in Syosset (on Long Island) is practically on the LIRR tracks and there are some other shops/restaurants in town there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunkenMeadow View Post
    I have not been in years but The Riding Shop in Syosset (on Long Island) is practically on the LIRR tracks and there are some other shops/restaurants in town there as well.
    It was sold about 3 years ago, now its The Tack Shoppe, but yes it is right there next to the tracks. Its a nice shop but I wouldn't make a special trip from NYC for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Tarheel, I think that the drive is about an hour and a half, but it can vary greatly with the traffic. Others have posted here in the interim that the train is an option, and sometimes that's easier. New Canaan's very pretty, very much the typical small town, high end Connecticut experience, and would make for a nice day trip.
    If you have a car available for a trip, you may also be able to catch a show or a polo meet on a weekend.
    If you're going to be in CT, send me a PM, maybe we can meet & say hello.
    Thanks everyone for the info on time between the city and New Canaan. I asked because I thought it would be a neat day trip (not just for Beval's but to see the town). Hinderella - I'll definitely let you know if I can make it happen on my next trip up there!

Not in NYC but only about an hour away in Jersey is The Horsemen's Outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info on time between the city and New Canaan. I asked because I thought it would be a neat day trip (not just for Beval's but to see the town). Hinderella - I'll definitely let you know if I can make it happen on my next trip up there!
    It's also the next town over from Darien, where Ox Ridge has a big show in June. Just FYI.