The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default purposely laming a horse for sale?

Has anyone heard of an unscrupulous seller purposely trimming feet too short to get a horse foot-sore before a sale? In this case, the horse is extremely forward and seller may have wanted to hide that fact.

Only in novels. One would think that this sort of thing would be beyond obvious to an observer with any sort of ability to see the difference between a footsore horse and a "smaller" mover. Not to mention it being fairly easy to determine on basic hoof/lameness exam.
    Click here before you buy.

Haven't heard it being used for sale purposes, but it doesn't surprise me. An old cowboy shoer around here (Boondocks, CO) says trimming short is a great tool for breaking colts. By the time their feet have grown out, you have time to 'get a handle' on them. This is one of the reasons why I found farriers from elsewhere.

Oh DW, you don't really believe all potential buyers are that savvy do you?

Not when there are far too many owners who don't know their own horse is overall sore, or not moving freely because of poor saddle fit, etc. Heck, I know one person who had to sell their treeless saddle because it "made" their horse move too big and they couldn't ride it They had no idea the horse was physically capable of moving like that.

I think sore feet, if just a bit sore, are all that easy to see for many people, including vets. ShortER strided doesn't have to be *short* strided, but can be enough to make someone feel comfortable as per the OP's reason.

Katy, now that's just sad

Short on all 4 feet can be sort of hard to see. It's much easier to pick out lameness in a single leg than sort of "sore all over." So... do I think some unscrupulous buyer might try this? I suppose anything is possible. A calming supplement on the day the horse is tried seems cheaper/easier. And the easiest is to lunge to exhaustion before the prospective buyes come out. There's more than one unethical way to skin a cat
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

duplicate
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I would expect any vetting to include hoof testers.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

isn't there usually a delay of days between trying the horse and getting the vet out for the PPE? someone really skilled in trimming could trim a bit short so the horse didn't move out for the trial but was grown out enough to pass the vet later?
    sounds unlikely, though, doesn't it? a spot of drugging would be easier for the unscrupulous seller to try.

I saw this done more than I care to admit here in Texas. We've also had the rotten luck of a farrier trimming too short and then a buyer wanting to come see the horse the next day. We'd pull the horse off the sales list until the foot grew out and honestly tell the buyer the horse was trimmed short. Some buyers would come anyways and some would pass. Not sure I would actually sell to someone that can't tell if a hoof is trimmed too short or not. As for the delay between the try and the PPE, eh not really. We've had more than one buyer come with the vet in tow to do the PPE then and there or had the buyer meet us at the vet clinic to try the horse. We'd usually have the horse PPE'd as soon after the trial as possible for many reasons mostly to do with catching any drugs in the system. I worked with one gelding that would convince you he was dying the week after getting his feet done. He wasn't trimmed too short and he didn't need shoes just ouchie and a drama king. He was also one that would get into EVERYTHING and manage to come out completely unscathed.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

ugh sounds like the story of my life. And not on purpose. Suppose to have a PPE done on a horse this week. He pulled a shoe and needed it reset. Farrier came out and put new shoes on both fronts. Within 2 hours he had one bent and the clip took off part of his hoof wall. Now he is very sore on that front. Can't see why anyone would do this on purpose.

It is an old horsetrader trick and, as someone else mentioned, it can be difficult for people to sort out if a horse is equally sore on all four feet or both fronts. It's also pretty darn hard to prove after-the-fact, without someone admitting it.

What would a horrible and cruel thing for a seller to do.