The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COP Mare - Foal Registry Options

Before I breed... What are registry options for the foal out of a AHS COP mare? I'm having trouble finding details about this on many breed association websites. I would prefer a registry recognized and ranked well by the WBFSH but I am not sure which registries, if any, will approve the mare or register her foal. Thanks for your input!

Who is the stallion approved and registered with? Old/ISR will register into the "ISR" book if stallion is approved by them, as long as they "approve" the mare - irregardless of her breeding. RPSI will register the foal into a lower book and give it a "half crown" brand as long as the stallion is approved by them, again, mare must be approved by irregardless of her breeding. AWS evaluates each foal individually, irregardless of sire and dam, but placement in registry at different levels is dependent on breeding. All 3 are WBFSH members.

I have an AHS COP mare that I had inspected by the AWR. Since she earned first premium at her inspection and has a fully verifiable pedigree via DNA, she has full approval from them and has outproduced herself as a broodmare. Her foals have all earned much higher scores than she got. AWR is a founding full voting member of the WBFSH, and regularly sends participants to their world championship activities for young breeders as well as dressage, three day eventing and show jumping.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

MysticOakRanch, thanks for the info. My top choice stallion is approved with the AHS and OLD/ISR, but I will take a look at RPSI approved stallions as well.
    not again, do you know if the AWR requires DNA testing to be done by the AWR for mare approval or do AHS COP papers count as tested/verified pedigree?

Have you discussed your mare's pedigree with Edgar of the AHS? Would your mare be eligible for inspection with the AHS? Does she have a COP due to incomplete pedigree, or a parent who was not AHS-approved? He will have good insight and recommendations for you as to how to proceed.

Otherwise, if she's not eligible for inspection with the AHS for whatever reason, then you could choose an inspection with any of the registries suggested above and register your foals with them.

That all being said... if your goal is to move all of your offspring-horses eventually into AHS registry, then you should choose a stallion who is approved not only with the registry your mare was inspected with, but also specifically with AHS or Germany's HanV (many registries will give you permission to breed your mare with frozen semen of a stallion standing in Germany and you just pay an extra fee).

Foal would be registered with the registry you mare was approved with.

But, the logic being about where the sire is approved is that if you have a nice filly, sired by an HanV or AHS-approved stallion, (thus is 50% Hanoverian) then said filly may be eligible for her own 3-year-old approval/inspection with AHS, and then HER foals could be directly registered with AHS. So, you're looking ahead a couple generations.

First, I would speak to Edgar as he will be able to clarify the exact process, as the AHS might be slightly different to the HanV which is who we tie to in Canada. For us in Canada, the 3-year-old non Hanoverian mare must descend from a pedigree approved by the Verband (the sire especially, if he's not Hanoverian, must meet certain performance conditions and/or SPT results, but I have found it's better and easier if the sire is fully HanV approved from the outset), and then once she is approved she MUST be bred back to a Hanoverian stallion.

I hope this makes sense - I was up most of the night last night, so my brain feels a bit befuddled today.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

All DNA testing is done by UC Davis. In my experience an existing DNA report is acceptable, but I would check with the office to be sure. DNA is required to complete registration for all horses and ponies.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

That makes sense! Thank you!
    The mare's Certificate is due to her tb dam not being AHS-approved. I did some looking around on the AHS website and found this page: http://www.hanoverian.org/certificate-of-pedigree/
    Unfortunately, it states that CP mares are not eligible to be inspected and entered into the breeding program but I will double check with the AHS office and let y'all know what I find out.